ADVERTISEMENT

What if doctors wore body cameras?

Should Doctors and Nurses wear body camera's?

• Yes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • WTF?

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006

Black people face racism and worse health outcomes in hospitals. It’s time to document it​

Like police officers, doctors and nurses make life-and-death decisions. Yet the disproportionately poor and racist care that leads to the harm and death of Black patients largely goes unchecked. If more police are wearing body cameras, doctors and nurses should, too. After all, if health care professionals aren’t engaging in racist behavior, there should be no problem.

As a physician, I have witnessed countless racist behaviors toward Black patients, often coupled with conscious and cruel statements. I have heard White nurses joke that young Black children will probably join gangs and doctors describe the natural hair of Black people as “wild” and “unkempt.” I have seen Black patients unnecessarily physically restrained. I have stood in the emergency department as a Black teenager died from a gunshot wound while White staff chuckled, saying he was “just another criminal.”

This seems like an exceedingly stupid idea.

Maybe everyone should be required to wear a body cam wired for sound. I mean, we can't let people just say bad things about others.

Reactions: eb05
I mean some level of racism is present in healthcare. We should recognize that. I believe studies have shown that doctors are much more willing to hand controlled pain meds out to white people than black people.

That having been said I don't see the solution being body cams for doctors. People want to keep their health info between them and their doctor and footage could easily leak.

I'm not sure what the solution is but I really doubt body cams is it.

I have heard White nurses joke that young Black children will probably join gangs

Well since 1 out of 3 black males have a good chance of ending up in jail, are they that wrong?

The AA community needs to fix THEIR community. Whitey can't fix it for them.

It starts with girls making smarter choices with their bodies and the males being more than just sperm donors.

Kids need better support.

Well since 1 out of 3 black males have a good chance of ending up in jail, are they that wrong?

The AA community needs to fix THEIR community. Whitey can't fix it for them.

It starts with girls making smarter choices with their bodies and the males being more than just sperm donors.

Kids need better support.
Whitey can legalize weed though. That would stop locking up African Americans for a harmless crime.

Whitey can legalize weed though. That would stop locking up African Americans for a harmless crime.
What a novel idea, just make everything illegal, legal and poof, no more crime. I can't believe someone didn't come up with that genius idea sooner!

What a novel idea, just make everything illegal, legal and poof, no more crime. I can't believe someone didn't come up with that genius idea sooner!
Of course this would be your response to me stating that weed should be legalized, which the majority of the country supports.

Reactions: millah_22
Body cams, or at least exam-room cams/audio, would go a long way in protecting patients (from abuse) and physicians (from fraudulent claims of abuse), but there are a whole lot of other issues at play that would make this darn near impossible to implement.

Black people face racism and worse health outcomes in hospitals. It’s time to document it​

Like police officers, doctors and nurses make life-and-death decisions. Yet the disproportionately poor and racist care that leads to the harm and death of Black patients largely goes unchecked. If more police are wearing body cameras, doctors and nurses should, too. After all, if health care professionals aren’t engaging in racist behavior, there should be no problem.

As a physician, I have witnessed countless racist behaviors toward Black patients, often coupled with conscious and cruel statements. I have heard White nurses joke that young Black children will probably join gangs and doctors describe the natural hair of Black people as “wild” and “unkempt.” I have seen Black patients unnecessarily physically restrained. I have stood in the emergency department as a Black teenager died from a gunshot wound while White staff chuckled, saying he was “just another criminal.”

This seems like an exceedingly stupid idea.
I get the premise behind it and there’s some level of merit, but my god the privacy violations and how that information could be used….hard pass.

Lol. Body cam? We are moving toward a situation where the only doctor many people will see will be on a video screen—at least in rural areas.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I would love to have every patient encounter recorded. It would 100% protect me from a lawsuit. I spend a lot of time counseling patients and they don't follow instructions, argue with me about what is best, say I never told them something, etc.

Now I don't need to have someone chaperone an exam, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT