ADVERTISEMENT

What To Expect <> PSU Offensive Tendencies

Feb 5, 2015
It's Thursday and I imagine people are itching for some football talk. I am going to walk through some of the PSU offense and give a breakdown of what to expect and how I see Iowa adjusting for this game. We'll kick this off with some background for those who don't follow PSU that closely:

Offensive philosophy: Spread, Run-Pass Option
Returning starters on O: 9
Key players: Barkley (#26), McSorley (#9), Geskiki (#88), Hamilton (#5), Bates (#52), and McGovern (#66)

Penn State runs an RPO style offense out of primarily (read: 99% of snaps) an 11 personnel group (1RB, 1TE, and 3WR) with the main goal being optioning certain conflict players such as an OLB or Saftey depending on the play call and or defensive alignment. It's almost exactly the same as a traditional triple option but with the forward pass wrinkle instead of a pitch read. If the conflict player commits to the run, McSorley pulls the ball and throws over the top, if the conflict player drops back in coverage McSorley then has the option to keep or give to Barkley. That's a watered down explanation but here's what it looks like in action:

Pitt OLB comes up to defend the run and McSorley pulls it for an easy score.

So with all that above, how does a team effectively defend the RPO? Couple ways but it all starts with very, very, very, disciplined football. IMO, have the OLB/Saftey play flat and not actually commit to the run or pass, anything you can do to "string out" an option play bodes well for a defense. I would also say play more to protect the pass than the run, this should minimize those huge open pass plays. Attack the mesh point and hit the QB every single time he gets the ball. McSorley is not a big QB and he is a tough kid, but it does get tiring getting popped every single play.

Because this RPO doesn't really have plays designed to get a certain yardage, Penn State still struggles to get the ball into 3rd and manageable, one of the main reasons they have the 91st ranked 3rd down conversion percentage is because they put themselves in those positions. One wrinkle when defenses get a 3rd and long is a 4 man pressure with only two down linemen. Two examples below:

As you can see, 3rd and long and Pitt looks like they are bringing 6 man pressure but only bring 4 - the rest drop into zone coverage. Confuses our line and McSorley's hot route is covered very well.

This one is another 3rd and long-ish and Wiscy does a similar stem with 6 showing a rush but only 4 commiting.

I bring up the lack of 3rd down conversion and these pressure packages because this is what is going to hurt PSU going into the rest of the season - especially playing traditional pro-style offenses like Iowa - who want to control the clock and our offense not being able to move the sticks. I expect Iowa to install some type of look like this. Now, you guys might keep all your DL in three-point stances, but one or two might drop into coverage. Something like that.

From a coverage standpoint, what killed PSU was man-to-man jam outside - UM, OSU, USC. When PSU sees jam, we like to audible to a 9 route (fade) because it's a "good matchup." This causes longer throws, longer throws are tough to complete. Nothing Earth shattering here. Our X receiver Johnson (#84) is a very solid receiver but has yet to really breakout - especially considering the weaker schedule we have played. I think zone is tough, Moorhead loves route combos which normally are a pretty good counter to typical zone looks, you might be able to get away with pattern matching but I don't know how often you guys run that. Man with maybe cover 1 or cover 1 robber is probably the best bet.

With all that said, what I would like to see more of are designed runs with lead blockers for Barkley. I know the play below is technically a read option, but it is fun for me as a Penn State fan - who doesn't love this offense - see 26 run with a lead blocker.

Our RT, Chasz Wright (#77), pulls and does a great job kicking out Akron's play side OLB. McGovern (#66), has a good double team and quickly moves to the second level and takes out the Mike leaving it to a footrace for Barkley. There was another good example of a QB ISO but I couldn't find the play.

Barkley might not break off an 80-yard touchdown like that, but if PSU can get 3 or 4 yards more consistently on 1st and 2nd I think it's an easy win for PSU. If they continue to struggle on 3rd down, are not able to properly ID pass rush, and Iowa is able to possess the ball (and scores) then this game will be much closer. The best way I have heard all RPO offenses described is: "Great against the bottom 85 teams, inconsitent agaisnt the top 25 teams." Iowa could very well be a top 25 team. And that statement was true for PSU last year - we were 2-3 vs RPI top 25 teams, McSorley avg QBR was 50 for those contests.

TL;DR: Iowa's defense should play to protect the pass to make McSorley's read longer. If you get PSU into 3rd and long, just rush 4 in an exotic look. Expect a lot of Man on Iowa's side with maybe a little cover 1 or cover 1 robber. Play keep away with PSU, tough to score all those points when they are not on the field.

I did read it but jumping to the bottom, that is always Iowa's philosophy. Play keep away on offense, bend but don't break on d.

What has been interesting is that we have started to get away from our base 4-3 a little more than we have in the past. However, we rarely blitz and our front 4 are not doing a great job of getting pressure. Our d backs are young (and are pretty good IMO) but can't cover forever. I'm curious to see what we will do on Saturday.

Very detailed and informative, about the only thing missing is the fact that the Penn St coach is an A-1 douchebag, other than that a good read.

Reactions: LGEND24
It's Thursday and I imagine people are itching for some football talk. I am going to walk through some of the PSU offense and give a breakdown of what to expect and how I see Iowa adjusting for this game. We'll kick this off with some background for those who don't follow PSU that closely:

Key players: Barkley (#26), McSorley (#9), Geskiki (#88), Hamilton (#5), Bates (#52), and McGovern (#66)

Penn State runs an RPO style offense out of primarily (read: 99% of snaps) an 11 personnel group (1RB, 1TE, and 3WR) with the main goal being optioning certain conflict players such as an OLB or Saftey depending on the play call and or defensive alignment. It's almost exactly the same as a traditional triple option but with the forward pass wrinkle instead of a pitch read. If the conflict player commits to the run, McSorley pulls the ball and throws over the top, if the conflict player drops back in coverage McSorley then has the option to keep or give to Barkley. That's a watered down explanation but here's what it looks like in action:

So with all that above, how does a team effectively defend the RPO? Couple ways but it all starts with very, very, very, disciplined football. IMO, have the OLB/Saftey play flat and not actually commit to the run or pass, anything you can do to "string out" an option play bodes well for a defense. I would also say play more to protect the pass than the run, this should minimize those huge open pass plays. Attack the mesh point and hit the QB every single time he gets the ball. McSorley is not a big QB and he is a tough kid, but it does get tiring getting popped every single play.

Because this RPO doesn't really have plays designed to get a certain yardage, Penn State still struggles to get the ball into 3rd and manageable, one of the main reasons they have the 91st ranked 3rd down conversion percentage is because they put themselves in those positions. One wrinkle when defenses get a 3rd and long is a 4 man pressure with only two down linemen. Two examples below:

As you can see, 3rd and long and Pitt looks like they are bringing 6 man pressure but only bring 4 - the rest drop into zone coverage. Confuses our line and McSorley's hot route is covered very well.

This one is another 3rd and long-ish and Wiscy does a similar stem with 6 showing a rush but only 4 commiting.

I bring up the lack of 3rd down conversion and these pressure packages because this is what is going to hurt PSU going into the rest of the season - especially playing traditional pro-style offenses like Iowa - who want to control the clock and our offense not being able to move the sticks. I expect Iowa to install some type of look like this. Now, you guys might keep all your DL in three-point stances, but one or two might drop into coverage. Something like that.

From a coverage standpoint, what killed PSU was man-to-man jam outside - UM, OSU, USC. When PSU sees jam, we like to audible to a 9 route (fade) because it's a "good matchup." This causes longer throws, longer throws are tough to complete. Nothing Earth shattering here. Our X receiver Johnson (#84) is a very solid receiver but has yet to really breakout - especially considering the weaker schedule we have played. I think zone is tough, Moorhead loves route combos which normally are a pretty good counter to typical zone looks, you might be able to get away with pattern matching but I don't know how often you guys run that. Man with maybe cover 1 or cover 1 robber is probably the best bet.

With all that said, what I would like to see more of are designed runs with lead blockers for Barkley. I know the play below is technically a read option, but it is fun for me as a Penn State fan - who doesn't love this offense - see 26 run with a lead blocker.

Our RT, Chasz Wright (#77), pulls and does a great job kicking out Akron's play side OLB. McGovern (#66), has a good double team and quickly moves to the second level and takes out the Mike leaving it to a footrace for Barkley. There was another good example of a QB ISO but I couldn't find the play.

Barkley might not break off an 80-yard touchdown like that, but if PSU can get 3 or 4 yards more consistently on 1st and 2nd I think it's an easy win for PSU. If they continue to struggle on 3rd down, are not able to properly ID pass rush, and Iowa is able to possess the ball (and scores) then this game will be much closer. The best way I have heard all RPO offenses described is: "Great against the bottom 85 teams, inconsitent agaisnt the top 25 teams." Iowa could very well be a top 25 team. And that statement was true for PSU last year - we were 2-3 vs RPI top 25 teams, McSorley avg QBR was 50 for those contests.

TL;DR: Iowa's defense should play to protect the pass to make McSorley's read longer. If you get PSU into 3rd and long, just rush 4 in an exotic look. Expect a lot of Man on Iowa's side with maybe a little cover 1 or cover 1 robber. Play keep away with PSU, tough to score all those points when they are not on the field.

Thanks for the scouting report!

Reactions: ColinPSU
I did read it but jumping to the bottom, that is always Iowa's philosophy. Play keep away on offense, bend but don't break on d.

What has been interesting is that we have started to get away from our base 4-3 a little more than we have in the past. However, we rarely blitz and our front 4 are not doing a great job of getting pressure. Our d backs are young (and are pretty good IMO) but can't cover forever. I'm curious to see what we will do on Saturday.

Apologies should have been more clear. I wasn’t saying play BBDB, I was trying to say on the RPO have your OLBs or Saftey play more to "protect the pass" and less on run support. So after their read step they should back petal one more step before flying upfield for run support. I know that sounds counterintuitive with Barkley but I think Penn State’s offense can gash you if play too committed to the run. The Pitt play above is a good example of that.

I actually suggest bump and run coverage or stemming a lot in the back half to confuse our offense with what coverage you’re playing. Here is a really good example of USC doing that in the Rose Bowl:

The DB on USC is showing jam coverage, but if you look closely you can actually see him on his heels ready to backpedal - he doesn't even engage with Thompkins (#3) and it leads to an easy INT. The OLB also does a false step and McSorley pulls the ball to throw it.

This is what I was getting at with a defense "protecting" the pass.

Not exactly a great reflection on yourself that he took the time to post all that and this is the response that you give him...
Yeah, whatever. He obviously put a lot of effort into it and did a good job writing it up, doesn't change the fact the coach just isn't a nice guy. Seriously who calls a timeout to ice a kicker when you're up 56-0? 3 pts wouldn't influence a potential CP spot. I'm not one to call out coaches about running up scores but that was F'ing ridiculous.

Thanks for posting, hopefully the Hawks learned something from last year's horror show.

Overall, Penn St. offensive stats seem pretty average (#35 in total offense - IA St is #37). I know cherry picking stats is a bad idea, just curious about your thoughts.

Reactions: ColinPSU
I hope our coaches learned enough from last year's debacle to know that we're not going to be able to play our conventional 2-Gap/Read & React defensive scheme. It's going to take a more attacking style to stop/slow their offense.

Phil has a tall order on tap for Saturday, no doubt.

It would help if Miles Taylor good game. My hopes aren't real high.

Reactions: kirkfan
Thanks for posting, hopefully the Hawks learned something from last year's horror show.

Overall, Penn St. offensive stats seem pretty average (#35 in total offense - IA St is #37). I know cherry picking stats is a bad idea, just curious about your thoughts.

I think YPG (total offense) is a bad stat to judge offensive success. I look more at 3rd down conversion %, TOP, and Redzone TD %. Yards and points are sexy but it still hasn't been proven consistently viable at the college or NFL level.

However, to answer the question of is this offense average I would say kinda. I think they are good, but they have yet to prove they can win a game in the 2-minute drill (Pitt last year) or the 4-minute drill (OSU, Wisky, USC.) Until the offense can start beating teams with those clock situations I will consider them a fun offense to watch, but not great. I know that's super critical but when you are talking "Top 5 Teams" those are the things you have to look at.

Reactions: David1979

What did they put up on us? About 15x what isu did?
How many b1g D did isu play? ;)

Interesting. That would mean approx 2 yards per play on the rest.

if you watch Penn State.. a lot of those are "set up plays" the OC is a genius.. he will give you the same look, look for the opposing LB to crash the A gap the same way, and then attack the vacated area..

the PSU offense avoids contested plays, it simply puts the ball where the D isn't... Iowa was decent on D, and Josey Jewell and Desmond King just looked lost all night.. PSU coulda scored 14 more if they kept the gas on the pedal.

If PSU loses to Iowa it will beat itself (happens all the time) At this point in time, Iowa does not have the personnel if Penn State plays clean football. You'll need 3 TO's and an off game by McSorely.

Look for McSorely to start keeping the ball in primetime, he has been held back and deferred to start the season. You will guys will have a birds eye view, watch the whole entire D just flow to Barkley every single play..

Very good post. Thank you

Interesting. That would mean approx 2 yards per play on the rest.
The offense can be frustrating because they go through stretches where they can't get a first down, and then they will rip off 3 consecutive td's on scoring drives less than 2 minutes each. It's like it all just clicks all of a sudden. The MSU game, the Conference Championship vs Wisconsin and USC in the Rose Bowl were all this way. Early in games our offensive success typically comes from McSorley free-lancing. It's almost as if the OC uses the first quarter to feel out the defense and then takes over the game in the second and third quarter.

The Iowa game last year was probably our only complete game of the year from start to finish.

Reactions: Nihilist Rodgers

yep, PSU has been a big play team since McSorely took over. Its a huge part of their success recently.

By my count, Penn State has thirty one (31) plays gaining 40 yards or more in the 17 games McSorely has started since the beginning of 2016 - more than 2 per game on average If you include 30-39 yard gainers, that number jumps to 50 (3 30+per game on avg).

The only game in that time frame (17 games) that a McSorely PSU team has failed to produce a 40 yard gain is at Michigan (9/24/16) where PSU lost 49-10 (one play over 30 yards).

Last edited:
if you watch Penn State.. a lot of those are "set up plays" the OC is a genius.. he will give you the same look, look for the opposing LB to crash the A gap the same way, and then attack the vacated area..

the PSU offense avoids contested plays, it simply puts the ball where the D isn't... Iowa was decent on D, and Josey Jewell and Desmond King just looked lost all night.. PSU coulda scored 14 more if they kept the gas on the pedal.

If PSU loses to Iowa it will beat itself (happens all the time) At this point in time, Iowa does not have the personnel if Penn State plays clean football. You'll need 3 TO's and an off game by McSorely.

Look for McSorely to start keeping the ball in primetime, he has been held back and deferred to start the season. You will guys will have a birds eye view, watch the whole entire D just flow to Barkley every single play..
You have no idea what kind of personnel Iowa has on Offense. I count 8 guys you didn't see last year. New OC, different philosophy and a star QB in the making. Iowa fans understand you have a juggernaut offense. But you are going to be surprised how often Iowa scores.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT