ADVERTISEMENT

Should Lester be held to the 25ppg standard?

Gotta a link to back that up? I mean he obviously failed a drug test, when was that exactly?
Late to meetings? His son was arrested twice as a freshmen and he wasn't chased off the team. I guess being late to a meeting is worse than that. LOL

Keegan Johnson
Charlie Jones
Julius Brents
I guess they all smoked weed and were late to meetings also. I guess the reason no one but JV took all the snaps in 2012 is because the backups all smoked weed and were late to meetings.

KF has admitted in interviews he avoids getting serious reps to backup QBs because of the "controversy" it creates. Hindering the development of your QB room because you're afraid of negative press is a bad look.
Labas was not chased off the team.

His lifestyle choices were pretty common knowledge.

Again, if KF is too stubborn to make changes, then how in the hell did Hill move ahead of Labas in the first place? Of the two, Labas was the incumbent, and clearly the better prospect. The narrative contradicts and defeats itself.

QB controversys are every coach's worst nightmare. Welcome to football. Starting QB's get the reps everywhere. If not, the development of the whole offense is hindered. If you want the reps during the season, win the job. If you want to keep your spot on the depth chart, don't smoke weed and show up late to meetings

Labas was not chased off the team.

His lifestyle choices were pretty common knowledge.

Again, if KF is too stubborn to make changes, then how in the hell did Hill move ahead of Labas in the first place? Of the two, Labas was the incumbent, and clearly the better prospect. The narrative contradicts and defeats itself.

QB controversys are every coach's worst nightmare. Welcome to football. Starting QB's get the reps everywhere. If not, the development of the whole offense is hindered. If you want the reps during the season, win the job. If you want to keep your spot on the depth chart, don't smoke weed and show up late to meetings
Wasn’t part of Labas getting passed by Hill at the start of the season due to Labas recovering from an injury in camp, and then whatever went on with Labas, happened and he never got out of the doghouse?

No point standard. That was an intellectually lazy measurement set up by our past goofball AD. Hoping the focus is around offensive production and moving far up the ranks relative to output in yards rushing, passing, reduction in TOs, fewer sacks, TOP, etc. End of the day if those metrics improve quite a bit the points will take care of themselves.

Reactions: jhoosh43
No point standard. That was an intellectually lazy measurement set up by our past goofball AD. Hoping the focus is around offensive production and moving far up the ranks relative to output in yards rushing, passing, reduction in TOs, fewer sacks, TOP, etc. End of the day if those metrics improve quite a bit the points will take care of themselves.
From stuff I’ve picked up elsewhere, Barta wanted to fire BF after ‘22, but Kirk went over his head and forced him to keep him. The compromise was the revised contract that would allow Barta to fire him if things didn’t improve.

Wasn’t part of Labas getting passed by Hill at the start of the season due to Labas recovering from an injury in camp, and then whatever went on with Labas, happened and he never got out of the doghouse?
According to the article, Hill passed Labas within a couple weeks of spring ball

Gotta a link to back that up? I mean he obviously failed a drug test, when was that exactly?
Late to meetings? His son was arrested twice as a freshmen and he wasn't chased off the team. I guess being late to a meeting is worse than that. LOL

Keegan Johnson
Charlie Jones
Julius Brents
I guess they all smoked weed and were late to meetings also. I guess the reason no one but JV took all the snaps in 2012 is because the backups all smoked weed and were late to meetings.

KF has admitted in interviews he avoids getting serious reps to backup QBs because of the "controversy" it creates. Hindering the development of your QB room because you're afraid of negative press is a bad look.
Can you link to any articles where Kirk has stated he avoids giving the backups any reps to avoid controversy?

Reactions: bradaf
Why would there be no reason to look at everything when the offense was that freaking bad for several years?

The game didn't change overnight - it evolved over years. Iowa's offense did not. Phil realized several years back that using a 4-3 defensive scheme was no longer going to work consistently so he switched to a 4-2-5 scheme amongst other things. I'm not sure why you won't budge on Iowa's offensive scheme needing to evolve as well.

That's different from saying the offensive philosophy was wrong.
Not to nitpick here, but actually it was Phil who kept trying to stubbornly stick with the ol' Norm tried and true 4-3 (obviously with some nuance like the Raider package, etc). It took Seth Wallace, after the Wisconsin game, to finally convince Phil to move to the 4-2-5 with the Cash. And the majority of that scheme is a Wallace creation. Which is why KF and Phil have been doing everything they can to keep Wallace around.....that guy is the true architect of our current setup on D.

Got it. No link. Disconcerting to be living in the age of propagandists. (smh)

A PPG average is a poor measuring stick for overall offensive improvement. It was another, among many, dumb moves by Barta that ultimately ended up with a good result in Brian's termination.
I'll be surprised if they run up the score on any team. But, let's say they do that on the paid opponents. While it's enjoyable to watch them put up 60 on someone, I'm much more interested in what they do against the top half of the league. Scoring 28-30 against teams that finish .500 or better in the B1G means more than 50+ against illinois state.

Reactions: nosok23
To make it clear, I'm glad Lester is here and I have high hopes for him.
That said, should he get a free pass his first year or is it fair game to expect minimum 25ppg?
If he is 4yrs in with his own recruits and we still are anemic on offense, yes.

"Our judgment is 100 percent correct rarely, when you talk about player evaluation"

If he can admit it ...

Got it. No link. Disconcerting to be living in the age of propagandists. (smh)
For what it's worth, I've heard it from a couple of sources that have proven to be quite reliable over the years when it comes to inside Hawkeye information.

And for the third time, if KF is too stubborn to make changes, then how did Hill pass Labas in the first place, and so quickly?

Pretty disconcerting to live in an age where fans who have no clue what they are talking about are constantly calling out more than reputable coaches

For what it's worth, I've heard it from a couple of sources that have proven to be quite reliable over the years when it comes to inside Hawkeye information.

And for the third time, if KF is too stubborn to make changes, then how did Hill pass Labas in the first place, and so quickly?

Pretty disconcerting to live in an age where fans who have no clue what they are talking about are constantly calling out more than reputable coaches
You answered your own question if the "rumors" are true. Though I'd suggest that's not much of a "change". Labas started one game, the bowl game at the end of 2022 when Petras was hurt and Padilla on the way out.

Reactions: sober_teacher
You answered your own question if the "rumors" are true. Though I'd suggest that's not much of a "change". Labas started one game, the bowl game at the end of 2022 when Petras was hurt and Padilla on the way out.
That's the point. It was a rhetorical question to get the guy to think about what he was actually saying

Yeah, but I still wouldn't suggest he "passed" Labas. Joey was running third on the depth chart before Petras got hurt and Padilla left.
And Petras and Padilla were effectively gone. So if KF is as stubborn/loyal as many suggest, then yes, Hill passed Labas (meaning Labas was the incumbent, and with all things being equal, would have been given the benefit of the doubt).

That's the way Harty phrases it in his article. Labas was passed.

If you're suggesting that it was just a re-evaluation during the spring that Hill happened to win, then two things would cause one to question that.
1. Kirk IS loyal. Joey had already been in the system and won a bowl game. To lose his "spot" within a matter a weeks would mean someone was clearly better.
2. An extension of #1. Deacon Hill was not that guy.

Even without reliable inside sources, it would all point to the rumors about Labas' lifestyle being true

Not much. It's an anonymous message board and fanaticism doesn't breed wisdom and integrity.
You have no integrity. You're questioning a more than reputable coach's decision making going back to 2012.

What was it in your life that caused your relationship to authority figures to be unbalanced?

Be quiet with yourself and look really deep. The truth will set you free

And Petras and Padilla were effectively gone. So if KF is as stubborn/loyal as many suggest, then yes, Hill passed Labas (meaning Labas was the incumbent, and with all things being equal, would have been given the benefit of the doubt).

That's the way Harty phrases it in his article. Labas was passed.

If you're suggesting that it was just a re-evaluation during the spring that Hill happened to win, then two things would cause one to question that.
1. Kirk IS loyal. Joey had already been in the system and won a bowl game. To lose his "spot" within a matter a weeks would mean someone was clearly better.
2. An extension of #1. Deacon Hill was not that guy.

Even without reliable inside sources, it would all point to the rumors about Labas' lifestyle being true
I get ya but Labas wasn't an entrenched starter. He never really had the "spot", he got there by default. Kirk's "loyalty" is not universal. When he decides a guy is deserving he has a rep for sticking with him thru thick and thin. Labas hadn't earned that yet.

I get ya but Labas wasn't an entrenched starter. He never really had the "spot", he got there by default. Kirk's "loyalty" is not universal. When he decides a guy is deserving he has a rep for sticking with him thru thick and thin. Labas hadn't earned that yet.
That may be true. But I think the the pertinent point here is that nobody really believes that Hill beat Labas out in a matter of a few weeks, or at all. It seems pretty clear that Labas cost himself the ability to "keep" or compete for QB2 (in the spring).

Thus, the people who whine that Labas wasn't given a shot during the season have been enlightened. KF wasn't going to play a guy that didn't have the commitment level. Especially at QB. That can ruin a team

Last edited:
Reactions: BonzoFury
I think as with most things in life, this discussion of unfailing loyalty requires more nuance than has been suggested here. Hill likely never "surpassed" Labas on the field. If the rumors of Labas not taking his role as seriously as Kirk wanted him to are true, then there would be no loyalty. On the contrary, he probably wasn't going to play him regardless of how the competition between the two shook out. Kirk is an old school coach who demands compliance and discipline, particularly out of the QB position. If he doesn't see that, then the guy isn't going to play even if the house is burning down to the ground.

Last edited:
I think as with most things in life, this discussion of unfailing loyalty requires more nuance than has been suggested here. Hill likely never "surpassed" Labas on the field. If the rumors of Labas not taking his role as seriously as Kirk wanted him to, then there would be no loyalty. On the contrary, he probably wasn't going to play him regardless of how the competition between the two shook out. Kirk is an old school coach who demands compliance and discipline, particularly out of the QB position. If he doesn't see that, then the guy isn't going to play even if the house is burning down to the ground.
I personally don't have an issue with not playing someone who doesn't put the work in. It stinks that the only other option was a wet refrigerator box but that's also a coaching evaluation issue so no one to blame but themselves.

I personally don't have an issue with not playing someone who doesn't put the work in. It stinks that the only other option was a wet refrigerator box but that's also a coaching evaluation issue so no one to blame but themselves.
I'm not giving anyone a pass here. Ultimately it's all on the staff. The QB situation has been a dumpster fire since Stanley left and has been a major contributor to the downfall of the offense. But then what hasn't been a dumpster fire with respect to Iowa's offense over the past several years. 🤷‍♂️

True. But the staff was expecting some time to be able to develop Hill. It's hard to have multiple QB's that are ready at the same time.

Labas' lack of commitment is a player thing. But you can also put a degree of the blame on the staff for recruiting a player with a character flaw. But over the years Iowa has recruited high character guys that truly love football. I guess you can't hit on all of them.

Part of the dynamic of Iowa not having a surplus of ready QB's can be attributed to Iowa not being a pass heavy offense. Most teams are slinging the ball all over the place these days. Certainly that is attractive to QB recruits. A few things that Iowa does offer QB recruits is a winning program in a great conference. And a pro-style offense that gives the QB a ton of pre-snap responsibility.

I do believe the racial suit has hurt Iowa some in recruiting. It certainly couldn't have helped. Opposing coaches are shameless with negative recruiting and they're now also making sure recruits know about Iowa's recent struggles on offense.

Now, there is also the bidding war for recruits/transfers in the NIL/portal landscape. I'm not sure how armed Iowa is in this race, but I know it's not near the top.

There are a lot of factors involved. All you can do, as a staff, is keep putting up the W's

"Most teams are slinging the ball all over the place these days. Certainly that is attractive to QB recruits. "

-------------Bottom Line: The Capt is a Fossil and the Offense is Obsolete. A number of us have been saying this for sometime. The fact you don't buy that concept is irrelevant; the WHOLE DAMN NATION is laughing at us. THAT'S what counts!

Nothing changes for the better until he does.
It will be interesting to see if Coach Fossil ACTUALLY lets Lester innovate.

Reactions: Champ_Kind_whammy
1) To make it clear, I'm glad Lester is here and I have high hopes for him.
2) is it fair game to expect minimum 25ppg?
1) Agree ... not sure about the high hopes. He will have to operate within KFs risk-averse offense. Will he be better than his predecessor who set the limbo bar at 30ft high ? Yes.

2) First thing you do when reaching adulthood is remove the word "fair" from your vocabulary. He should be declared a success if Hawkeye sports-writers use the word "exotic" several times during the season.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
"Most teams are slinging the ball all over the place these days. Certainly that is attractive to QB recruits. "

-------------Bottom Line: The Capt is a Fossil and the Offense is Obsolete. A number of us have been saying this for sometime. The fact you don't buy that concept is irrelevant; the WHOLE DAMN NATION is laughing at us. THAT'S what counts!

Nothing changes for the better until he does.
It will be interesting to see if Coach Fossil ACTUALLY lets Lester innovate.
Iowa just won 10 games for the 11th time in its history. THAT'S what counts.

The WHOLE DAMN NATION are a bunch of idiots that I'm laughing at and even feel a little sorry for. Joke's on them.

What exactly are defenses now doing that has rendered Iowa's offense obsolete? Does anyone ACTUALLY have an answer to this?

Keep your latex gloves on, Doc, and innovate a cure for cancer

Iowa just won 10 games for the 11th time in its history. THAT'S what counts.

The WHOLE DAMN NATION are a bunch of idiots that I'm laughing at and even feel a little sorry for. Joke's on them.

What exactly are defenses now doing that has rendered Iowa's offense obsolete? Does anyone ACTUALLY have an answer to this?

Keep your latex gloves on, Doc, and innovate a cure for cancer
Dude, multiple posters have tried to answer this for you, but we are apparently operating at different wavelengths here.

Our offense has become insanely predictable, to the point that it’s become quite common to see opponents pointing at the hole before the ball is even snapped. The passing tree increasingly became a joke, with multiple receivers frequently in the same general area, making it easy to defend, as well as preventing yards after catch. Very few attempts to deceive the defense, even tho it’s often resulted in a nearly 2 ypc improvement per dochterman.

The sad part in all this - I truly do believe that the pro-style offense is not, in and of itself, obsolete. But you can’t run virtually the same offense year in and year out, without making tweaks and adding wrinkles at the very least. If you don’t, the opposing teams eventually figure out what you’re doing and come up with a counter. Allowing yourself to become stagnant, in any profession, means death in the long run, because things are always changing.

Dude, multiple posters have tried to answer this for you, but we are apparently operating at different wavelengths here.

Our offense has become insanely predictable, to the point that it’s become quite common to see opponents pointing at the hole before the ball is even snapped. The passing tree increasingly became a joke, with multiple receivers frequently in the same general area, making it easy to defend, as well as preventing yards after catch. Very few attempts to deceive the defense, even tho it’s often resulted in a nearly 2 ypc improvement per dochterman.

The sad part in all this - I truly do believe that the pro-style offense is not, in and of itself, obsolete. But you can’t run virtually the same offense year in and year out, without making tweaks and adding wrinkles at the very least. If you don’t, the opposing teams eventually figure out what you’re doing and come up with a counter. Allowing yourself to become stagnant, in any profession, means death in the long run, because things are always changing.
Are you drunk?

You aren't answering the question with your generalizations. How is it that the defense has countered? What are they now doing that causes an offense that used to work to no longer work?

When a backup QB is forced into action, the playbook gets pared down. Even in the NFL. This leads to more predictability. It's an inherent challenge in trying to make things work with a backup QB.

But in general, predictability is way overrated. These coaches make a lot of money. They all know what each other is doing. When an O-line knocks the defense back off the ball it makes absolutely no difference if the defense knows what's being run. Again, you don't think that '22 NW knew what Iowa was going to run, and used 8 man fronts? They weren't strong enough up front to control the line of scrimmage and they got 30+ scored against them.

The receivers have been bunched because the line hasn't given them enough time to get depth in their routes. In '22, that was compounded by having to play backup receivers that weren't able to create separation. No play is designed to have bunched receivers.

Fans may not completely understand exactly how everything is a result of what happens at the line of scrimmage. But when every expert player, coach, ex-player, ex-coach says on tv over and over and over again, that the game is won up front, it absolutely baffles me why fans don't believe what the experts say.

I guess it's because most fans didn't play football. Also, they probably only have some understanding of what they can see. Without skycam or endzone angle footage it's very hard to see what's actually happening X's and O's - wise.

So I'd lighten up a little on the fans, but they still choose to not listen to the experts. I'd say at least 88% of football fans have no clue what they are talking about. Yet they passionately insist that coaches don't know what they're doing, to the point of regularly calling for their jobs. Smh. It's just ridiculous.

A scheme didn't just all of the sudden and coincidentally stop working when it had to be executed by a broken O-line and a bad backup QB.

You are correct that pro-style offenses are not obsolete. Just look at professional football

• Haha
Are you drunk?

You aren't answering the question with your generalizations. How is it that the defense has countered? What are they now doing that causes an offense that used to work to no longer work?

When a backup QB is forced into action, the playbook gets pared down. Even in the NFL. This leads to more predictability. It's an inherent challenge in trying to make things work with a backup QB.

But in general, predictability is way overrated. These coaches make a lot of money. They all know what each other is doing. When an O-line knocks the defense back off the ball it makes absolutely no difference if the defense knows what's being run. Again, you don't think that '22 NW knew what Iowa was going to run, and used 8 man fronts? They weren't strong enough up front to control the line of scrimmage and they got 30+ scored against them.

The receivers have been bunched because the line hasn't given them enough time to get depth in their routes. In '22, that was compounded by having to play backup receivers that weren't able to create separation. No play is designed to have bunched receivers.

Fans may not completely understand exactly how everything is a result of what happens at the line of scrimmage. But when every expert player, coach, ex-player, ex-coach says on tv over and over and over again, that the game is won up front, it absolutely baffles me why fans don't believe what the experts say.

I guess it's because most fans didn't play football. Also, they probably only have some understanding of what they can see. Without skycam or endzone angle footage it's very hard to see what's actually happening X's and O's - wise.

So I'd lighten up a little on the fans, but they still choose to not listen to the experts. I'd say at least 88% of football fans have no clue what they are talking about. Yet they passionately insist that coaches don't know what they're doing, to the point of regularly calling for their jobs. Smh. It's just ridiculous.

A scheme didn't just all of the sudden and coincidentally stop working when it had to be executed by a broken O-line and a bad backup QB.

You are correct that pro-style offenses are not obsolete. Just look at professional football
You keep throwing out that ‘22 game vs northwestern like it’s proving your point…you know that was a godawful NW team, with possibly their worst defense in 20 years right?

Offensive production has been on a mostly downward trend for several years; you’d have to go back to that ‘15 season if memory serves to find one that finished above 90.

You keep throwing out that ‘22 game vs northwestern like it’s proving your point…you know that was a godawful NW team, with possibly their worst defense in 20 years right?

Offensive production has been on a mostly downward trend for several years; you’d have to go back to that ‘15 season if memory serves to find one that finished above 90.
That's the point. The NW defense was bad enough up front for a terrible Iowa O-line to be able to win their matchups.

Then all of the sudden, every play Iowa ran worked. They were the same plays (with the same scheme) that hadn't worked all year because the O-line wasn't able to get a push.

But that day Iowa's line was able to get a push. And all the fans commented that BF finally called a good game, Lmao.

What I've been saying is very easy to understand. What the experts have boiled football down to for 150 years is very easy to understand. You just don't want to hear it for whatever reason. Iowa's offense broke when its O-line broke. No scheme could have been successful.

An offense in the 90's is serviceable. At least it is not broken. Those are entirely two different things. Iowa's offense was in the 90's the year it put up 49 in the USC game you've referenced.

Iowa has rarely had much better than a serviceable offense. If that's not good enough for you, that's an entirely different story. But it doesn't mean a scheme that has almost always produced a serviceable offense no longer works.

Iowa's offensive problems began with the loss of Doyle happening at the same time it's O-line was suffering attrition. And at this time its replacement lineman were losing crucial developmental workouts during the Covid shutdown. Then they had to play a season with a really bad backup QB. No judgement about scheme can be made in seasons like those.

It's on Iowa to adjust to the loss of Doyle. There is also some adjustment to the scheme in the works. But there's no need to confuse the two

Reactions: kjmzoey
That's the point. The NW defense was bad enough up front for a terrible Iowa O-line to be able to win their matchups.

Then all of the sudden, every play Iowa ran worked. They were the same plays (with the same scheme) that hadn't worked all year because the O-line wasn't able to get a push.

But that day Iowa's line was able to get a push. And all the fans commented that BF finally called a good game, Lmao.

What I've been saying is very easy to understand. What the experts have boiled football down to for 150 years is very easy to understand. You just don't want to hear it for whatever reason. Iowa's offense broke when its O-line broke. No scheme could have been successful.

An offense in the 90's is serviceable. At least it is not broken. Those are entirely two different things. Iowa's offense was in the 90's the year it put up 49 in the USC game you've referenced.

Iowa has rarely had much better than a serviceable offense. If that's not good enough for you, that's an entirely different story. But it doesn't mean a scheme that has almost always produced a serviceable offense no longer works.

Iowa's offensive problems began with the loss of Doyle happening at the same time it's O-line was suffering attrition. And at this time its replacement lineman were losing crucial developmental workouts during the Covid shutdown. Then they had to play a season with a really bad backup QB. No judgement about scheme can be made in seasons like those.

It's on Iowa to adjust to the loss of Doyle. There is also some adjustment to the scheme in the works. But there's no need to confuse the two
The offense managing to perform only on rare occasions is not evidence that the scheme itself is still sound. It just means that even broken clocks are right occasionally.

When Iowa has been at its best, the offense has been more than serviceable, and that’s not a bar that should be acceptable, nor one that should be hard to meet.

I don’t buy losing Doyle had the major impact on the oline while not affecting any other position group.

The offense managing to perform only on rare occasions is not evidence that the scheme itself is still sound. It just means that even broken clocks are right occasionally.

When Iowa has been at its best, the offense has been more than serviceable, and that’s not a bar that should be acceptable, nor one that should be hard to meet.

I don’t buy losing Doyle had the major impact on the oline while not affecting any other position group.
Iowa did not out-scheme NW. Those guys are pretty smart over there.

Nor does luck or coincidence ever have much to do with football. Especially in blowout games.

Guess what does determine how football games play out? I'll give the drunken pupil one more try. That's right - it's the line of scrimmage.

The scheme worked because Iowa could win up front. Why do you think every play in the bag worked that day? And the exact same plays, with the exact same scheme, didn't work pretty much at any other point in the season. It's simple calculus. And no, luck or happenstance wasn't the answer. Even the stupid end around to Bruce worked twice that day. And fans were enamored with the jet motion, lmao. The play worked that day because NW's defense had a soft edge. It literally didn't work at any other point in the season.

Seriously, I'm asking you to think about why the scheme worked that day. Yes, NW's defense was bad. That's a generalization. But how does it perform bad? Literally, how did Iowa's offense beat them? It's not like they were incapable of tackling or covering, although they weren't great at either. They got manhandled up front. You saw a push from Iowa at the line of scrimmage that you didn't see that season. This allowed Iowa to execute anything and everything they wanted to. Nowhere on the field were there any working or broken clocks.

Why are you refusing to believe the essence of football that's been proven for 150 years? Brady beat Mahomes in the Super Bowl because the Chiefs O-line was a shell of itself. The following season Brady's O-line got banged up and they couldn't win a game. Nowhere does scheme even need to be brought up in any of that.

Yes, one game proves the scheme still works. Because it shows why it stopped working. The O-line is the variable in the equation. The scheme was at least serviceable when the O-line was functional. Then the scheme worked again when the O-line was able to win in games like NW and W.Michigan. But it took having to play bad teams for the O-line to win because it was no longer functional. Simple calculus and the simple game of football.

It's all really too simple to keep going around in circles with you. There isn't any other way to say it. The game is won up front. That truth is more important than scheme, although the two can be interrelated. It's that simple. You just either have to listen better or make the decision to believe what you're hearing. Because it's too simple to be explained in another way.

Again, if serviceable offense isn't good enough for you, that is to a degree, understandable. But it's an entirely different conversation than whether a scheme it outdated or not. Mixing the two conversations is perhaps what's creating your confusion.

Maybe the loss of Doyle did affect other positions. But O-line is the position that the program depended on Doyle for, as it allowed them to recruit undersized kids with good feet. In that sense, the program was built around Doyle.

Also, the O-line is critical for every team, but even moreso for Iowa, because they built their offense around their O-line.

Strength is most used in football at the O-line. Why do you think that's where the biggest players on the field are (other than some 3-technique DT's, which Iowa does not use)?

It wasn't just the loss of Doyle. But the loss compounded the attrition to the O-line. And compounded the loss of developmental workouts during the Covid shutdown that were desperately needed to build up undersized guys that were being forced to step in and play before they were ready, due to the attrition that the O-line had sustained.

Why do you think Iowa hasn't been able to push anyone off the ball? The kids weren't yet big and strong enough. That's what breaks any scheme. Simple game.

Doyle worked with the whole team in terms of strength and conditioning. But are you aware that he was also intimately involved with the O-line and only the O-line?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT