ADVERTISEMENT

What was the announced attendance?

Yeah, I noticed that. It was the strip of visitor tickets that go all the way across.
I thought I read that Pitt probably had less than 1,000 fans in attendance.

There's also just too many fans, still who aren't coming back to Kinnick for one of three main reasons:

- time and money commitment
- Kirk Ferentz is still the coach
- not winning enough

The last one is for fringe fans and they'll start showing up more if Iowa can get out of the NC at 4-0. A win at Wisconsin would also do it.

It may take a while but as long as the team keeps competing the way they are, we should get a sell out before the season ends.

I thought I read that Pitt probably had less than 1,000 fans in attendance.

There's also just too many fans, still who aren't coming back to Kinnick for one of three main reasons:

- time and money commitment
- Kirk Ferentz is still the coach
- not winning enough

The last one is for fringe fans and they'll start showing up more if Iowa can get out of the NC at 4-0. A win at Wisconsin would also do it.

It may take a while but as long as the team keeps competing the way they are, we should get a sell out before the season ends.

I think #2 is the main reason for the season ticket decline. It was reported about 17% season ticket sales drop. I think it was because of Ferentz, not because they were losing. Of course, they are hand in hand in most peoples eyes. I would believe that if Ferentz continues to show more than a vanilla style football, the attendance will continue to increase regardless.

Yeah, if going to an Iowa game is something you suddenly want to do, you probably should get tickets now. A win next week and just a decent showing in Madison in two weeks and these tickets are going to start selling fast.

Yeah, if going to an Iowa game is something you suddenly want to do, you probably should get tickets now. A win next week and just a decent showing in Madison in two weeks and these tickets are going to start selling fast.

"decent showings"= moral victories.....talk to Hayden Fry about that....and be prepared to run away.

"decent showings"= moral victories.....talk to Hayden Fry about that....and be prepared to run away.

While the announced attendance numbers are less than desired, the fan support and atmosphere at both of the two home games thus far has been exceptional. Even Coach Fry led teams endured games/seasons of less than capacity attendance, but were extremely appreciative of the loyal Hawk fans that chose to turn out in support.

No 'moral victory'. Simply what actually happened.

I am surprised to see the attendance was that low. It didn't look like 7k empty seats. Seemed like they were all in the north ez.

I am surprised to see the attendance was that low. It didn't look like 7k empty seats. Seemed like they were all in the north ez.

Agree. At both the Illinois State and especially the game last night, it seemed as if there were more people in attendance than the announced numbers. Regardless, the fans at both games were fully invested in the game and the team (Iowa).

It is a process yet to fully unfold. The players and coaching staff recognize and acknowledge the fans that have made the effort/commitment and have returned the favor by playing hard throughout every sixty-minute game thus far.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: nilehawk

Your words, not mine. If you really think that Iowa fans are going to abandon a team that is leaving it all out on the field, even in a loss, then you really have no idea what being an Iowa fan really is.

Kirk and his staff have clearly made the type of changes necessary to improve the performance of this team and it is producing results. You can either stay on the fire Kirk bus and be miserable or acknowledge that up to this point there have clearly been improvements. For me, that's all I ever wanted. Just to acknowledge that you can't win running the same stuff and operating the same way you did ten years ago. I'm not interested in "moral victories" either, but I can appreciate a team that plays well and leaves it on the field. If you need to be reminded of team that doesn't do that, watch the 2015 Taxslayer.com bowl.

Attendance numbers pretty much exactly as I expected. I think of it as a sellout minus the 7,000 season ticket defectors. Even with fairly high individual game ticket demand, those numbers are going to be hard to make up. Even if the Hawks go on to have a terrific season, there's not a game left on the schedule that will get enough last-minute sales to hit 70,000.

Reactions: Hawk Supreme
I agree that we won't sell 7000 walk ups. I predict that advanced single game sales will take care of that. As this team keeps winning, fewer and fewer tickets for those late season games will remain.

Reactions: icu81222

A decent showing against Wisconsin are YOUR words.

Complacency rests on the shoulders of fans like you!!

If this team can only wish for a decent showing.....there is no point in playing the game.

A decent showing against Wisconsin are YOUR words.

Complacency rests on the shoulders of fans like you!!

If this team can only wish for a decent showing.....there is no point in playing the game.

Yup. That's what I said. Exactly. Way to go dumpster diving into somebody's post just to find something to get pissed off about. Have a great week!

I was disappointed only getting 63K+. I thought we get 65K easily and 67K would be the number we'd get. All I can say is there were 63K totally engaged fans. If you are staying away to "make a statement" have fun. I'll have fun loving the direction this team is going.

The crowd was great. The 63k who showed up were very happy to be there. This year could be a fun ride, there is still room on the bandwagon.

Like many Iowa fans, I understood why so many people were dropping their season tickets. However, the reason for the defections -- which came after several seasons of the same stuff -- seems to have been largely fixed. There's no doubt that Kirk and the staff have made significant changes. While they're not likely to admit it, I have to think the sinking season ticket sales might have sent a message that got through. It's unfortunate that it took so long for the changes to be made, but it looks like the majority of the reason for fans to stay away have been addressed. This may very well bring back at least some of the disgruntled fans who finally decided to let their wallets do the talking for them. Maybe not this season, but if the positive changes persist, probably for next season.

Like many Iowa fans, I understood why so many people were dropping their season tickets. However, the reason for the defections -- which came after several seasons of the same stuff -- seems to have been largely fixed. There's no doubt that Kirk and the staff have made significant changes. While they're not likely to admit it, I have to think the sinking season ticket sales might have sent a message that got through. It's unfortunate that it took so long for the changes to be made, but it looks like the majority of the reason for fans to stay away have been addressed. This may very well bring back at least some of the disgruntled fans who finally decided to let their wallets do the talking for them. Maybe not this season, but if the positive changes persist, probably for next season.
We are fortunate to have an outstanding head coach, a strong staff, and players that work their asses off. People can make all the excuses they want about not attending the games, but if they really care they will be there. Go Hawks!

Reactions: torbee and ichawk24

LOL!

Two games in mid-to-late November and that thrilling clash with Maryland.

They'll struggle to crack 60K for any of the remaining games.

I agree that we won't sell 7000 walk ups. I predict that advanced single game sales will take care of that. As this team keeps winning, fewer and fewer tickets for those late season games will remain.

You realize that the late-season games always have the smallest attendance of the year, right? You know, because it's cold.

You realize that the late-season games always have the smallest attendance of the year, right? You know, because it's cold.
The two lowest-attended home games each year in the KF era:

2014- Sept. 6th vs Ball State (64,210); Nov. 1st vs Northwestern (66,887)
2013- Sept. 7th vs Missouri State (64,201); Nov. 23rd vs Michigan (65,708) *coldest game ever at Kinnick
2012- Nov. 23rd vs Nebraska (69,805) *one of the other coldest games ever at Kinnick; all other home games were "officially" sold out if you can believe that
2011- All home games were "officially" sold out
2010- All home games were "officially" sold out
2009- Oct. 3rd vs Arkansas State (67,989); all other home games were "officially" sold out
2008- Nov. 15th vs Purdue (67,676); all other home games were "officially" sold out, including the colder evening game the week before against Penn State....though a portion of the crowd did leave at halftime (not saying, Iowa fans...I'm just sayin)
2007- All home games were "officially" sold out
2006- All home games were "officially" sold out
2005- All home games were "officially" sold out
2004- All home games were "officially" sold out
2003- Aug. 30th vs Miami, OH (54,128); Sept. 6th (54,471)
2002- Aug. 31st vs Akron (51, 495**); Sept. 21st vs Utah State (54,211)
2001- Sept. 1st vs Kent State (56,091); Sept. 8th vs Miami, OH (58,291)
2000- Nov. 11th vs Northwestern (54,345); Sept. 9th vs Western Michigan (55,650)
1999- Nov. 20th vs Minnesota (55,386); Nov. 6th vs Illinois (61,350)

**- lowest attended game in the KF era

-Also only twice in the Ferentz era has there been attendance below 60,000 for a November home game and those were in 1999 and 2000.

With that all on the board, huh....in just 4 of 17 seasons was the lowest-attended home game in November. But you said that the late season games always have the smallest attendance of the year. You also said that Iowa will struggle to crack 60,000 in any of the remaining games, and you're pretty smart, so hmmm................

Reactions: torbee and icu81222
The two lowest-attended home games each year in the KF era:

2014- Sept. 6th vs Ball State (64,210); Nov. 1st vs Northwestern (66,887)
2013- Sept. 7th vs Missouri State (64,201); Nov. 23rd vs Michigan (65,708) *coldest game ever at Kinnick
2012- Nov. 23rd vs Nebraska (69,805) *one of the other coldest games ever at Kinnick; all other home games were "officially" sold out if you can believe that
2011- All home games were "officially" sold out
2010- All home games were "officially" sold out
2009- Oct. 3rd vs Arkansas State (67,989); all other home games were "officially" sold out
2008- Nov. 15th vs Purdue (67,676); all other home games were "officially" sold out, including the colder evening game the week before against Penn State....though a portion of the crowd did leave at halftime (not saying, Iowa fans...I'm just sayin)
2007- All home games were "officially" sold out
2006- All home games were "officially" sold out
2005- All home games were "officially" sold out
2004- All home games were "officially" sold out
2003- Aug. 30th vs Miami, OH (54,128); Sept. 6th (54,471)
2002- Aug. 31st vs Akron (51, 495**); Sept. 21st vs Utah State (54,211)
2001- Sept. 1st vs Kent State (56,091); Sept. 8th vs Miami, OH (58,291)
2000- Nov. 11th vs Northwestern (54,345); Sept. 9th vs Western Michigan (55,650)
1999- Nov. 20th vs Minnesota (55,386); Nov. 6th vs Illinois (61,350)

**- lowest attended game in the KF era

-Also only twice in the Ferentz era has there been attendance below 60,000 for a November home game and those were in 1999 and 2000.

With that all on the board, huh....in just 4 of 17 seasons was the lowest-attended home game in November. But you said that the late season games always have the smallest attendance of the year. You also said that Iowa will struggle to crack 60,000 in any of the remaining games, and you're pretty smart, so hmmm................

You realize that "listed attendance" has nothing at all to do with how many people are actually there, right? Lots of people buy season tickets and then try to bail on the cold weather games.

Seriously, have you EVER been to a November game at Kinnick? The last few years have seen swaths and swaths of empty seats.

You realize that "listed attendance" has nothing at all to do with how many people are actually there, right? Lots of people buy season tickets and then try to bail on the cold weather games.

Seriously, have you EVER been to a November game at Kinnick? The last few years have seen swaths and swaths of empty seats.

You said it....the last few years. We continue to play good ball and it won't be the case this year in my opinion. The potential of a 10 win or more season is there and that is in part how we are playing and the competition. Most people did not think we would go into big ten play at 4-0. Well, we will and 6 or more conference wins is very possible. Could it be 4-4? Sure. But I will tell you with what I have seen so far my butt will be in that stands for all remaining home games and up here in Madison. I like these guys.

LC?

Yes...I've been to November games in Kinnick.

The point was that your prediction of Iowa struggling to eclipse 60,000 in their remaining home games is going to miss....and it's not going to be close. Go Hawks! Right?.............

Yes...I've been to November games in Kinnick.

The point was that your prediction of Iowa struggling to eclipse 60,000 in their remaining home games is going to miss....and it's not going to be close. Go Hawks! Right?.............

None of the games the rest of the year will have an announced attendance equal to or greater than the Pitt game.

Fact.

Your words, not mine. If you really think that Iowa fans are going to abandon a team that is leaving it all out on the field, even in a loss, then you really have no idea what being an Iowa fan really is.

Kirk and his staff have clearly made the type of changes necessary to improve the performance of this team and it is producing results. You can either stay on the fire Kirk bus and be miserable or acknowledge that up to this point there have clearly been improvements. For me, that's all I ever wanted. Just to acknowledge that you can't win running the same stuff and operating the same way you did ten years ago. I'm not interested in "moral victories" either, but I can appreciate a team that plays well and leaves it on the field. If you need to be reminded of team that doesn't do that, watch the 2015 Taxslayer.com bowl.
This exactly. Kirk has made all the changes required by me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT