ADVERTISEMENT

What Were Your First/Earliest Albums?

Probably a Herb Alpert album like this first one. I do remember the first single I bought was Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes-Edison Lighthouse.

600x600bf.png

edison-lighthouse-love-grows-where-my-rosemary-goes-1970-34.jpg

I got a lot of hand-me-downs. And, I was always more interested in the generation before me- the music that was popular when I was born (1968).

I used to listen to a lot of my parent's albums. And, these were the three I remember most:

janis-joplin-pearl-album-art.jpg

e13e49d47c9ae887f4ff889864fe4e1d.jpg

66656379_2425082234204565_1538000999657982949_n.jpg

Mom cut me loose with the Credit Card. Wings over America, The BeeGees Main Course, The Beetles, Abby Road.

At least 3 people in the Led Zeppelin thread said Zep II was their first album. What were some of your first albums, if you can still remember, and how do you feel about them today?

Three that pop to my mind from my undergrad days at UNC are

Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holding Company (Janis Joplin)
It's a Beautiful Day - It's A Beautiful Day
First Taste - Potliquor

I figure most people know the first one, but the others are worth checking out. Although the style of It's a Beautiful Day (and maybe the others, too, for all I know) are out of vogue, I think all 3 have held up quite well.

s-l640.jpg

First album (cassette) I bought on my own:

Def-Leppard-Pyromania-Album-Cover-web-820-optimised-820x600.jpg

First and possibly only album my mother ever bought for me (religious parents, rock = bad):

BrothersDireStraits.png

I listened to a ton of my older brothers albums in the late 70s early 80s - really shaped my musical tastes.

Eagles/Boston/Jackson Browne/Head East/AC-DC/BTO/ELO/Bob Seger/Frampton/Journey/etc....all the classics from that era

Well as a small kid I remember having these

bf034.jpg

Before upgrading to one of these

il_570xN.1784616462_og2n.jpg

Where I mainly had the little books with associated records like these...

s-l300.jpg

Star%20Wars%20Read-Alongs.jpg

HPIM8217.JPG

I definitely had all of the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars books with records as a little kid, plus some Transformers and Atari property versions as well.

After I was a little kid, I did have a typical 80s boom box as a preteen and early teen but I don’t remember any cassettes in particular. I’m sure the typical 80s rock

In high school, I did get a brand new CD player as a Christmas gift along with three cds that I remember to this day.

Spin Doctors: Pocket Full of Kryptonite

719pDUcNkxL._SS500_SS500_.jpg

Red Hot Chili Peppers: What Hits!

61Y2Bn-lAQL.jpg

Temple of the Dog: Selftitled

TempleOfTheDog.jpg

Reactions: Scott559 and Moral
I don't know if this makes me a dork (probably) but my first purchased album was Cheech and Chongs Big Bambu.

did you end up rolling a giant doobie?

Everybody did...

Edit:
I actually had a buddy who bought three or four extra copies of Big Bambu just to get the very large rolling paper that was included...

Last edited:
Reactions: billanole
did you end up rolling a giant doobie?
The original big spleef. Back then, it was probably just Mexican “dirt weed” so kind of a waste of good paper. Colombian at that time, however...
That is what some people were saying.

The original big spleef. Back then, it was probably just Mexican “dirt weed” so kind of a waste of good paper. Colombian at that time, however...
That is what some people were saying.
My first "Lid" was $15. Inflation hit hard. By the time I was out of HS it was going for $35-$40 for really good Panama Red or Columbian Gold.

My first "Lid" was $15. Inflation hit hard. By the time I was out of HS it was going for $35-$40 for really good Panama Red or Columbian Gold.
Very similar price point in my experience. Nickel bag for $5, dime bag for $10, etc...
The price jump tracked with it no longer being just the users involved in distribution (I knew folks who only sold enough to get their cut for consumption). It was mostly friendly folks passing along fun at just above cost.
The early organized crime/cartel influence was showing up by the time you noted the price jump. It was also then that “the war on drugs” was in its. infancy. CSB.

Very common practice back in the day,... When I had extra cash in college I could pick up a quarter pound of average weed for around $100, sell three ounces for $35 each and end up with a free ounce and cold 12 pack of beer....

Very common practice back in the day,... When I had extra cash in college I could pick up a quarter pound of average weed for around $100, sell three ounces for $35 each and end up with a free ounce and cold 12 pack of beer....
Compassionate consumption.
That should be the name of a record album.

Very similar price point in my experience. Nickel bag for $5, dime bag for $10, etc...
The price jump tracked with it no longer being just the users involved in distribution (I knew folks who only sold enough to get their cut for consumption). It was mostly friendly folks passing along fun at just above cost.
The early organized crime/cartel influence was showing up by the time you noted the price jump. It was also then that “the war on drugs” was in its. infancy. CSB.
Buy a 1/4 LB, sell three, keep one.

At least 3 people in the Led Zeppelin thread said Zep II was their first album. What were some of your first albums, if you can still remember, and how do you feel about them today?

Three that pop to my mind from my undergrad days at UNC are

Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holding Company (Janis Joplin)
It's a Beautiful Day - It's A Beautiful Day
First Taste - Potliquor

I figure most people know the first one, but the others are worth checking out. Although the style of It's a Beautiful Day (and maybe the others, too, for all I know) are out of vogue, I think all 3 have held up quite well.

R-9281307-1489296817-9702.jpeg.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT