ADVERTISEMENT

What will come of the bowl system (and how could CFB fix it)?

To start, bowls that are not part of the playoff need to be played BEFORE the "final four", but preferably before, say 12/20. The recent BS of "loser" bowls playing AFTER January 1 cheapened the bowl system to at least a minor degree.
To the bowls that get bounced, have some of those sites alternate in as "neutral site" CFP games, or utilize them as alternate-year bowl sites.
If the NCAA goes wholesale with eliminating bowls, Congress-ttpes will come out of the woodwork. We may not like the apparent incompetence of the NCAA, but having Congress/government involved will be worse.
Why would the NCAA get involved if the Taxslayer Weedeater bowl was eliminated? These bowls have to have sponsors and such to stay in business. If Taxslayer says it's not worth the investment and they can't get someone to step in and sponsor it that's it. No different than anything. It's not an NCAA issue at all.

Why would the NCAA get involved if the Taxslayer Weedeater bowl was eliminated? These bowls have to have sponsors and such to stay in business. If Taxslayer says it's not worth the investment and they can't get someone to step in and sponsor it that's it. No different than anything. It's not an NCAA issue at all.
It would be called trade infringement. You would have cities and Chambers of Commerce, along with others, filing lawsuits for loss of economic impact. Essentially, they could claim the NCAA harmed their arrangement with Taxslayer, Cheez-It or Poulan Weedeater.

There are currently 41 college bowl games. Does it even need to be said that there are TOO MANY!

The OP has an interesting idea. This seems a bit like an NCAA/NIT approach. The NCAA playoff could be the top 12 teams (similar format to FCS)..11 bowl games. Then you could have a second tier of teams like OP proposed in the "NIT" bracket.

Cuts the number of bowls roughly in half.

YOu guys forget that a lot of these cities want a bowl to get some visitors spending dough. If a location can get 20,000 people coming in that can be a big boost. Yeah there might be 30K to 40K empty seats but I also wonder if the people who run the stadiums give a big break on stadium rental so they can get money from car parking, attendance, and concessions.

YOu guys forget that a lot of these cities want a bowl to get some visitors spending dough. If a location can get 20,000 people coming in that can be a big boost. Yeah there might be 30K to 40K empty seats but I also wonder if the people who run the stadiums give a big break on stadium rental so they can get money from car parking, attendance, and concessions.
Most parking and concessions is doled out to local non-profits. In some cases, those groups actually do the work(voluntary), so for XYZ Non-Profit, Inc to suddenly lose $5k or $10k could be a big deal.

Dec\Jan which ever.

Will there be 1 less regular season game, so they aren't overextending the athletes?
18 to 22 year olds? They will have the motivation to play or shut it down depending on their physical condition at that time of year or possible pro football future considerations.

18 to 22 year olds? They will have the motivation to play or shut it down depending on their physical condition at that time of year or possible pro football future considerations.
Understand the age, I am wondering if the coaches or such can put it into the NIL that the players only get paid if they play in a bowl game and not opt out (if the team makes it to a bowl game). Legislation is being brought up to have College's cover insurance for athletes AFTER they graduate (up to 8yrs after). THat cost had better come out of the athletic budget and not the college's budget.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Injury factor would make that unenforceable. No way a genuine injury would cancel in an IL contract, but Anyone can say “my leg hurts, I don’t think I can play.”
If they claim injury, then the LARGE medical staff confirms, if they deem that the person has vaginitus, then they either play or lose the NIL. Sick of seeing teams go all year with their key players, only to have those players sit out for "fear" of getting hurt. If that is the mentality, why even play half the season? Play a few games and then sit out, stop bailing on your TEAM.

If they claim injury, then the LARGE medical staff confirms, if they deem that the person has vaginitus, then they either play or lose the NIL. Sick of seeing teams go all year with their key players, only to have those players sit out for "fear" of getting hurt. If that is the mentality, why even play half the season? Play a few games and then sit out, stop bailing on your TEAM.
Preaching to the choir as far as guys sitting out goes….but unenforceable.

Vaginitus? Cmon dude. We ask more and more of these guys, more games, etc. and a few guys sit out a meaningless bowl game and you get all butthurt about it. I'm glad that Campbell and the majority of our guys decided to play against Kentucky last year. That's who he is. I also have no problem if he had decided to say I'm going to skip it. Of course a guys season can end on any play either regular season or bowl game.

Vaginitus? Cmon dude. We ask more and more of these guys, more games, etc. and a few guys sit out a meaningless bowl game and you get all butthurt about it. I'm glad that Campbell and the majority of our guys decided to play against Kentucky last year. That's who he is. I also have no problem if he had decided to say I'm going to skip it. Of course a guys season can end on any play either regular season or bowl game.
Not butt hurt in the least, just stating that if these players deem the bowl game (usually the most important game of the season) as the one to sit out and hurt their team, they don't understand the TEAM mentality completely. WHy even play the game if you are fearful of injury, are they also opting to not drive in a car from that point forward? Risk transference or risk tolerance, everything that we do is wrapped in risk.

It simply makes for a better, (usually) more competitive game.

Not butt hurt in the least, just stating that if these players deem the bowl game (usually the most important game of the season) as the one to sit out and hurt their team, they don't understand the TEAM mentality completely. WHy even play the game if you are fearful of injury, are they also opting to not drive in a car from that point forward? Risk transference or risk tolerance, everything that we do is wrapped in risk.

It simply makes for a better, (usually) more competitive game.
The risk of serious injury by playing one more game is greatly exaggerated.

Just sayin' in the age of NIL and all, the players could say they are being asked to do too much and need rest... or more money...
I can see NIL deals including players to play in bowl games in the future. Even the crappier bowl games made money last season so doubt bowls go away. I hate the idea of more than 12 teams in the cfp and teams hosting any games. I still think most players still look at a bowl as a reward and look forward to it. I love bowl season so would hate to see much changed in the future. I can't remember not enjoying any bowl game I've attended except the cowbells. Just random thoughts here.

Also players get insurance for injuries during bowl games so if a guy gets hurt and is a 1st rounder he gets a few million. Not a bad deal and i had a lot more respect for Hockenson playing while Fant sat out. Still not sure why Merriweather sat last year but enjoyed watching X get gis first pick and a td to boot.

Reactions: obfuscating
I can see NIL deals including players to play in bowl games in the future. Even the crappier bowl games made money last season so doubt bowls go away. I hate the idea of more than 12 teams in the cfp and teams hosting any games. I still think most players still look at a bowl as a reward and look forward to it. I love bowl season so would hate to see much changed in the future. I can't remember not enjoying any bowl game I've attended except the cowbells. Just random thoughts here.
So just asking how do you know the crappier bowl games made money last season? I’m all for however many teams want to go play, and people can watch or not watch. I just noticed a ton of empty seats at a lot of bowls that used to be way more full.

Most bowls now are complete snorefests now that so many players either transfer beforehand or they sit out for the draft. But I think they'll definitely survive, plenty of teams that won't make the Playoff will still get a chance to play one more game against a similar opponent. I just hope they trim the fat and get rid of some of the more irrelevant ones.

Most bowls now are complete snorefests now that so many players either transfer beforehand or they sit out for the draft. But I think they'll definitely survive, plenty of teams that won't make the Playoff will still get a chance to play one more game against a similar opponent. I just hope they trim the fat and get rid of some of the more irrelevant ones.
That's the issue though. What constitute as irrelevant bowls?

The G5 programs deserve to play in bowl games as well, and that's where most of the excess number of bowl games comes from.

The obvious starting point is to raise the bowl eligibility requirement to 7 games, give that a trial run and see how many bowl games can be dropped as a result.

Even that is not an immediate fix, but at the very least you'll be getting teams that will actually be finishing above .500 in these contests.

The G5 programs deserve to play in bowl games as well, and that's where most of the excess number of bowl games comes from.

The obvious starting point is to raise the bowl eligibility requirement to 7 games, give that a trial run and see how many bowl games can be dropped as a result.

Even that is not an immediate fix, but at the very least you'll be getting teams that will actually be finishing above .500 in these contests.
I agree, I think rising the win requirement would be a good way. A winning record should be required to be invited to a bowl anyway.

To start, bowls that are not part of the playoff need to be played BEFORE the "final four", but preferably before, say 12/20. The recent BS of "loser" bowls playing AFTER January 1 cheapened the bowl system to at least a minor degree.
To the bowls that get bounced, have some of those sites alternate in as "neutral site" CFP games, or utilize them as alternate-year bowl sites.
If the NCAA goes wholesale with eliminating bowls, Congress-ttpes will come out of the woodwork. We may not like the apparent incompetence of the NCAA, but having Congress/government involved will be worse.
Yes, as you said losing those bowls WILL mean those host sites losing $$ on hotels, restaurants and other venues besides the games themselves. Maybe those games aren't sold out, but still even 30 to 40k fans generates revenue locally.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62

This. There is NO reason for teams with 6 wins or less to be playing in a reward game.

Yes, as you said losing those bowls WILL mean those host sites losing $$ on hotels, restaurants and other venues besides the games themselves. Maybe those games aren't sold out, but still even 30 to 40k fans generates revenue locally.
It really comes down to the sponsor and if they are genuinely making money. Not saying Detroit or Shreveport in mid December aren’t beautiful. 😏. Someone has to continue to watch and go to these games or it’s not worth it to Cheez it or whoever is sponsoring the bowl. Viewership has been way down and also down even for the playoffs. So I don’t think adding more games is the answer. But I could be wrong moving forward.

You're right! What's to stop a kid who's playing on a team to sit out before the season is even over. Their team could be 3 and 7 with no chance for a bowl. They could say they don't want to risk an injury and they want to prepare for the draft. They won't even wait for the bowl.

Reactions: obfuscating
Get rid of all non-playoff bowls. They’re meaningless and prey on universities.

You're right! What's to stop a kid who's playing on a team to sit out before the season is even over. Their team could be 3 and 7 with no chance for a bowl. They could say they don't want to risk an injury and they want to prepare for the draft. They won't even wait for the bowl.
What’s stopping them now. We already had 1 that did it last year.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT