ADVERTISEMENT

The Golden Goofs, at 5-7, are heading to a bowl game. They got the very last (82nd) spot in the 41 Bowl Games

I know they would not have a winning record either, but what team would have gotten in if the CJD punt return was not overturned?

I know they would not have a winning record either, but what team would have gotten in if the CJD punt return was not overturned?
According to Academic Progress Rates for the four-year period ending in 2021-22 academic year:
  1. Mississippi State (985 APR) was next in line.
  2. South Carolina (983)
  3. Army (978)
  4. Florida (977)
  5. Navy (969)
  6. Nebraska (969)
  7. Illinois (962)
  8. Washington State (961)
  9. Colorado State (957)
  10. BYU (954)
For reference, Iowa's APR for that period is 968.

I think the perception that his players love The Fleckster is wearing thin.

The mass exodus of guys the last few days kinda backs that up.

The problem isn't the players, it's the HC being a prick.
I'm watching to see if any of the assts leave.
Definitely problems in the TCs.
WHO HATES IOWA
I saw their quarterback went into the portal. Who else did?

I think the perception that his players love The Fleckster is wearing thin.

The mass exodus of guys the last few days kinda backs that up.

The problem isn't the players, it's the HC being a prick.
I'm watching to see if any of the assts leave.
Definitely problems in the TCs.
WHO HATES IOWA
He also turns over half his coaching staff every year. Their tight end coach already left this year

Minny is heading to Detroit. Note that the Phoenix-based Guaranteed Rate Bowl did not want the lowly Gophers. Instead of them picking the last Big Ten team left to pick, they pointed to contractual language and selected UNLV of the Mountain West instead. UNLV will face Kansas in Phoenix. The Goofs are heading to MoTown.

The story from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Gophers headed back to Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit to play Bowling Green on Dec. 26

At 5-7, the Gophers are heading back to Motown, where they previously won Quick Lane Bowls in 2015 and 2018.

By Randy Johnson
Minneapolis Star Tribune

DECEMBER 3, 2023 — 8:07PM

merlin_72746327.jpg

The Gophers went 5-7 in the regular season but made a bowl because there weren’t enough teams to fill all the spots. Minnesota gets to go because of its APR (Academic Progress Rate).

For the third time in nine years, the Gophers are going to Detroit for a bowl game

Bowl assignments were announced Sunday, and the Quick Lane Bowl selected the Gophers, who will play Bowling Green (7-5) at 1 p.m. Dec. 26 at Ford Field.

The Gophers closed the regular season with a four-game losing streak to fall to 5-7 but qualified for a bowl game because there were only 81 six-win teams to fill the 82 bowl slots, and their Academic Progress Rate score was the best among five-win teams.

It appeared the Gophers might be headed to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl for the second time in three years because they were the last Big Ten team left for the Phoenix-based bowl to pick. Instead, contractual language ended up sending Minnesota to Detroit.

Because the Gophers didn't win six games, they weren't technically considered to be bowl eligible by the Big Ten. The Guaranteed Rate Bowl's contract with the Big Ten allows the bowl to pick a Mountain West team to fill its spot if there aren't enough bowl-eligible Big Ten teams. That happened, and the Guaranteed Rate Bowl selected UNLV of the Mountain West to face Kansas of the Big 12.

The Guaranteed Rate's situation left the Quick Lane Bowl with the chance to select Minnesota, which it did.

The Gophers are 2-0 in the Quick Lane Bowl, beating Central Michigan 21-14 in 2015 when they advanced with a 5-7 record based on their APR score, and topping Georgia Tech 34-10 in 2018 to finish 7-6.

Bowling Green has won five of its past six games and finished in third place in the Mid-American Conference's East Division. The Gophers and Falcons have split four meetings, with Bowling Green winning the last one, 14-10 in 2021 at Huntington Bank Stadium when Minnesota was a 31-point favorite.

Another memorable Gophers-Falcons matchup happened in 2007. Tim Brewster, making his Gophers coaching debut, famously plopped down on the Metrodome turf on his stomach, nearly spread eagle, while Bowling Green scored a two-point conversion in overtime to beat Minnesota 32-31.

Bowling Green will be in the Quick Lane Bowl for the second consecutive season, having lost 24-19 to New Mexico State last year.

This will be the Gophers' fifth bowl trip in seven seasons under coach P.J. Fleck, and they have won the previous four. Overall, the Gophers have a six-game bowl winning streak and a bowl record of 11-12.

Brad Michaels, executive director of the Quick Lane Bowl, on Friday said the bowl would love to have the Gophers. He added that the Gophers being in Detroit for the third time in nine years wouldn't be a concern.

"It's been spread out," Michaels said. "I sure don't think people wouldn't go to the game because they were here five years ago."

The Gophers have been a strong attendance draw for the game. The second- and third-highest announced attendance figures for the bowl have occurred when Minnesota has played in it — 34,217 in 2015 and 27,228 in 2018.

"Minnesota fans travel," Michaels said.

Jackson announces return

Gophers wide receiver Daniel Jackson, who leads the team with 57 catches for 831 yards and eight touchdowns, announced on the X platform that he is returning to the team for his senior season in 2024, citing an agreement with Dinkytown Athletes, the program's official Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) collective.

Jackson, who earned second-team All-Big Ten honors, has 131 receptions for 1,822 yards and 14 touchdowns in his career.

Randy Johnson covers University of Minnesota football and college football for the Star Tribune, along with serving as a producer for Puck Drop, the Star Tribune’s enhanced online hockey coverage.

rjohnson@startribune.com
612-673-7664

The Fleckster pulling his normal schtick wearing out a #1 running back early in games.

Such a schmuck.

No wonder they get injured EVERY year.

Gotta admit, when it comes to bowl opponents, they are incredibly lucky facing shitty teams.

Then again, when your bowl games are always in December, that happens.

Reactions: Tunadog
Lol at the Little Pizza Bowl not even going to the trouble of changing the colors out in the end zones. I wouldn’t have been surprised if they had just left “LIONS” in both. The very definition of an IDGAF bowl game.

This might not be the worst bowl game so far, but it's close.

And typical Fleckster...all his first half TOs gone with 9 minutes to go in half.

Is there a worse in game HC?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT