ADVERTISEMENT

What would it take for Dems to agree on a Supreme Court pick?

CeMar_Clone

HR Legend
Jul 20, 2001
Just for laughs, since we know democrats will not approve anyone, what would be acceptable to democrats?

Since the democrats have already said that they are not going to approve anyone and are begging for this to go nuclear, then why not just nominate the most conservative justice and we can tell the democrats to f#ck off.

Just for laughs, since we know democrats will not approve anyone, what would be acceptable to democrats?

Since the democrats have already said that they are not going to approve anyone and are begging for this to go nuclear, then why not just nominate the most conservative justice and we can tell the democrats to f#ck off.

The administration could follow Orrin Hatch's advice and nominate Judge Merrick Garland.

Or . . . as I posted earlier . . . I don't think that there would be too much of a fight over Judge Thomas Hardiman. There would be some complaining and posturing but I don't think that he'd be approved with a strictly party line vote.

The nominee is going to be Judge Neal Gorsuch and, to your liking, he is ultra conservative with his jurisprudence.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Well, let's see. Last year, Orin Hatch said that if Obama would nominate somebody reasonable like, say, Merrick Garland, then the GOP would be happy to approve of the nomination. So Obama immediately nominated the very man that Hatch suggested. And the GOP promptly decided they wouldn't support him.

So it's hard to imagine the Dems giving a thumbs up to anybody that Trump nominates.

Can you blame them?

If the Dems were smart (big "if" here) they should make a package deal - solid conservative to replace Scalia, moderate to replace Ginsberg (if she drops dead). Then the Dems could salvage something.

Well, let's see. Last year, Orin Hatch said that if Obama would nominate somebody reasonable like, say, Merrick Garland, then the GOP would be happy to approve of the nomination. So Obama immediately nominated the very man that Hatch suggested. And the GOP promptly decided they wouldn't support him.

So it's hard to imagine the Dems giving a thumbs up to anybody that Trump nominates.

Can you blame them?

And after all, there are only 4 years remaining in President Trumpster's term, and since he was elected by a minority of the American public, it's only fair that the voters have a chance to weigh in on the next appointment. ;)

If the Dems were smart (big "if" here) they should make a package deal - solid conservative to replace Scalia, moderate to replace Ginsberg (if she drops dead). Then the Dems could salvage something.

Liberals won't agree to that deal. Cons won't agree to that deal. And I wouldn't trust the cons not to change their mind on the second nomination and put up someone more conservative than Pryor.

Now if Ginsberg wants to retire and it's a package deal - 2 up at the same time .,,

Justice Sonia Sotomayor was nominated to the federal bench by President George H. W. Bush.

To the district court - yes. Clinton put her on the circuit and Obama to the Supreme Court. Obama got two fairly left leaning judges on the court, both confirmed by a Democrat senate.

Actually, Scalia told David Axelrod he hoped Obama would nominate Kagan to replace Souter.

Knowing Obama would put a lefty on the Court, Scalia pick one he knew and liked. I don't think that a bg deal.

Just for laughs, since we know democrats will not approve anyone, web that would be acceptable to democrats?

A democrat president?

I agree on your nuclear option point. If the dems aren't reasonable, just go for it. And I don't have an expectation that the dems support a GOP nominee with 20 votes or anything like that. About 10-12 democrat senators would be reasonable. Just enough to get to 60 votes or a little more to get to a floor vote. They can vote against in the floor vote as far as I'm concerned.

Knowing Obama would put a lefty on the Court, Scalia pick one he knew and liked. I don't think that a bg deal.

I think "respected" is a fair term. And, apparently, he considered her to be quite intelligent.

To the district court - yes. Clinton put her on the circuit and Obama to the Supreme Court. Obama got two fairly left leaning judges on the court, both confirmed by a Democrat senate.

I'm pretty sure you, and everybody else, knows that whatever might happen right now has nothing to do with anything before 2016, and everything to do with what happened in 2016.

Just to be clear -- the GOP already went nuclear. This is the fallout.

Trump could nominate a female, half black half Hispanic, gay nominee who strongly supports freedom of choice and they will not be supported by the left. That's how it works. :confused:

The curbside constitutionalist experts want to conveniently omit that Justice Sotomayor got her start in the federal judiciary by a Republican president.

Lean left? Absolutely.

Crazy liberal? Only in the warped minds of folks like President Bannon and self-proclaimed talk show legal "experts" like Sean Hannity.

The curbside constitutionalist experts want to conveniently omit that Justice Sotomayor got her start in the federal judiciary by a Republican president.

Lean left? Absolutely.

Crazy liberal? Only in the warped minds of folks like President Bannon and self-proclaimed talk show legal "experts" like Sean Hannity.

President Bannon.

That's cute.

Why can't we wait for four years and let the new President choose? If a guy like Trumpie is still in the WH... then he can select someone.

Reactions: artradley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT