ADVERTISEMENT

What would it take to fix the running game this year?

RagnarLothbrok

HR All-American
Apr 4, 2023
Looking for “expert” opinions only. Lol.

But seriously, any ideas? I’ll be honest, I was encouraged by everything I saw on Saturday with the exception of that (I’m not fond of Brian’s play calling either but that’s another matter).

Can it be fixed this year? I have my doubts and have expressed I believe it’s more schematic, but I am no expert. I’m just looking for some type of encouragement because what I saw on Saturday was pretty discouraging. Everything else I thought was either good, promising, or fixable.

Getting productivity out of the run game IMO is the difference between 10-2 and 7-5. Thoughts?

Go away from zone blocking.

Zone is fine, but inside in short yardage, yes I believe we need some variance. The penetration is crushing us!!!

As for the play calling, I don’t really know. I think that’s an easy target really.

With that said, we need way more consistency for sure!

But seriously, any ideas? I’ll be honest, I was encouraged by everything I saw on Saturday with the exception of that (I’m not fond of Brian’s play calling either but that’s another matter).

Can it be fixed this year? I have my doubts and have expressed I believe it’s more schematic, but I am no expert. I’m just looking for some type of encouragement because what I saw on Saturday was pretty discouraging. Everything else I thought was either good, promising, or fixable.

Getting productivity out of the run game IMO is the difference between 10-2 and 7-5. Thoughts?
Not sure you can "fix" a problem during the season.

Maybe need to go hat on hat in shorter yardage plays. Spread the line out more, including the WR's....throw quick out passes to the WR's and use those like running plays to keep the defense from stacking the box.....THEN start running from the same formation. Use play action and misdirection.

Finally: don't always run from tight formations! Play action!

Mix things up and stop being so predictable.

Maybe spreading the defense out more run out of 3 and 4 wrs sets??? Could use Te's split out and run out of theose sets under center or shotgun

Maybe need to go hat on hat in shorter yardage plays. Spread the line out more, including the WR's....throw quick out passes to the WR's and use those like running plays to keep the defense from stacking the box.....THEN start running from the same formation. Use play action and misdirection.

This, but you know it will never happen.

Maybe spreading the defense out more run out of 3 and 4 wrs sets??? Could use Te's split out and run out of theose sets under center or shotgun
Attempting a run out of shotgun that isn't a 3rd and forever draw would help as well. 1st or 2nd down and you see the qb in shotgun, as a defense you can ignore lane responsibilities altogether.

Since we have a very accurate, experienced, and decisive QB, at least 2 fantastic TE’s, upgraded WR’s, and some good RB’s with decent hands (Kaleb has apparently been working on his pass-catching a lot in the off-season), we seem well-equipped to use a possession passing game to supplement the run game. More shots downfield could also loosen up the D and unload the box to some extent.

Sometimes you pass to set up the run. This could be one of those years.

And most important of all, the OL needs to get its act together and start playing some big boy football.

i am all for getting our run game going but the biggest difference imo between 10-2 and 7-5 is getting back to stopping the run. usu was awfully effective on the ground.

Running out of 11 personnel might help with 1 RB, 1 TE and 3 WR. Simply going 3+ WRs spreads the field and makes it somewhat easier if the D isn't stacking the box all the time. We continue to hit those seam and long passes and that safety can't cheat up to the LOS and the gap blitzes will stop too.

We have to drag the outside linebackers out and lighten the box by spreading them out. Its the only way to win the numbers game. I think you will see a lot more of that because our tight ends are total mismatches in space so getting them out wide should be a big advantage for us. Can our tackles hold up 1-on-1 against the elite defensive ends we will face this season? That is the question.

If we choose to run 12 or 13 personnel and choose to keep the tight ends on the line, they have to block. Re-watching the game I don't think the OL did as poorly of a job as the tight ends and receivers did in the run game. It takes a village to have a successful running game and it is not all on the Oline.

I think this week everyone is going to have a long list of details to work on and clean up so I suspect a much sharper performance on Saturday.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Blocking needs to improve. We have very average running backs; no studs. Recruiting has to pick up.

i am all for getting our run game going but the biggest difference imo between 10-2 and 7-5 is getting back to stopping the run. usu was awfully effective on the ground.
Im confident the defense will be fine with more work. I do think the offense can produce, but we need to keep cade upright.....

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

Seriously!? Is this your first season?

We have to drag the outside linebackers out and lighten the box by spreading them out. Its the only way to win the numbers game. I think you will see a lot more of that because our tight ends are total mismatches in space so getting them out wide should be a big advantage for us. Can our tackles hold up 1-on-1 against the elite defensive ends we will face this season? That is the question.

If we choose to run 12 or 13 personnel and choose to keep the tight ends on the line, they have to block. Re-watching the game I don't think the OL did as poorly of a job as the tight ends and receivers did in the run game. It takes a village to have a successful running game and it is not all on the Oline.

I think this week everyone is going to have a long list of details to work on and clean up so I suspect a much sharper performance on Saturday.

THIS. Have to use our biggest assets, our TEs. Get the ball to them and also use them to occupy linebackers in the run game. Two stud TEs again this year, make defenses have to deal with them DUDES

Change things up. Will they? No. They'll just say the kids don't want it enough.

THIS. Have to use our biggest assets, our TEs. Get the ball to them and also use them to occupy linebackers in the run game. Two stud TEs again this year, make defenses have to deal with them DUDES
I think they’re already doing that seeing as how 10 of the 18 completions went to tight ends. Maybe we need to utilize wide receivers to knock those safeties out of the box. They only caught 4 balls. Until Iowa can do that successfully I think the running game continues to look like it did on Saturday.

I think zone blocking had its day….but that day has passed. Need to go hat on hat more often. So many times our OL ends up blocking air while someone runs right by them.

I’m sure with elite OL talent any scheme works…but we don’t get that.

I think they’re already doing that seeing as how 10 of the 18 completions went to tight ends. Maybe we need to utilize wide receivers to knock those safeties out of the box. They only caught 4 balls. Until Iowa can do that successfully I think the running game continues to look like it did on Saturday.
Definitely, that is why this offense so desperately needs man-beaters on the edges.

Go back and re-watch the first two plays of the game. This is exactly what it looks like to spread out the defense and make those linebackers cover in space. First of all it was set up by a first down run out of basically the same formation (on the run All went in motion but on the pass he staying on the left side of the line) because that motion and the OLB not running with All showed that the defense was in zone coverage in the middle and man on the edges. Depending on how you define the box, there were really 6 defenders in the box with the safety dropped down at the edge and on OLB on the slot. Knowing that the OLB on the right side was in zone coverage and the OLB on the left side was going to be accounted by All, this left a whole host of possibilities. Anderson was 1-on-1 with the corner in press coverage and easily ran by him. That was the TD of course. But on the opposite side we had Vines against a corner in press coverage as well and ran a route down the seam that had help over the top with the safety. That was covered up. But, Wetjen was in the slot and ran an out pattern that was wide open too because the safety help was helping the corner on Vines. Our OL did a fabulous job of protecting and occupying against the 3 defensive linemen, and at the end Johnson leaked out in to the flat on Wetjen's side. Now to defend this, if Utah St. had sent the OLB to rush the passer, All would have stayed in and blocked him or atleast chipped him. Either way he was accounted for. If they had sent one of the MLB's then Johnson would have picked him up.

This is it. While everyone is thinks with having two elite tight ends that 12 personnel is going to be the key to success, I think this 11 personnel is going to be the key to the season. There is a ton to love here. First of all Anderson can run by guys. We think Kaleb Brown can too. Wetjen is a very nice addition with his speed. Lachey and All will account for all of the snaps, either in 11 or 12. Ragaini can play in that slot.

Now against future opponents, lets say the corners can match up 1-on-1 with all of our receivers and the safety can handle the slot. Then the pass rush is going to force the RB and the TE to stay home, basically leaving everyone covered up. But what that leaves is all kinds of room to run for the QB. That is why it is crucial to have a QB with legs because it will put him on a safety or a LB 1-on-1.

I am not picking this play because I have my homer glasses on. I picked it because I thought the final 3 quarters was us just working on stuff to put on film. Otherwise, how do you coach a linemen on how to block against 8 or 9 man fronts if you don't do it. And they will have to do it in the B1G because if you can run the ball at the end of the game when everyone knows you are going to run the ball you win, A LOT, of games, maybe all of them. How do you know to teach timing to the lineman, receivers and backs if you don't run a screen when everyone knows you are going to run a screen. You have to remember the mantra of KF because he has always been the same; that great execution cannot be defended. This may sound cliche, but not everyone has same system. Some coaches think that deception and out-thinking their opponent is the way to go. Not here.

Reactions: iowahaha1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT