ADVERTISEMENT

What's the farthest you have traveled to see a concert?

While on our European vacation to London, Nice and France from Florida, I got a notification that Sting was playing in Cardiff at a freaking castle. So on a whim we decided to board a train 2.5 hours west to Cardiff to see him. He was awesome. The venue was amazing.

Up until then the farthest we had traveled was from Florida to Red Rocks to see Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats.

What's the farthest you have ever traveled to see a concert?
London, Utrecht and Hamburg. It is a good excuse to book a long weekend.

Reactions: ericram
Not one specific concert, but toured around for 2-3 weeks a couple summers while in college to follow phish and widespread panic. Man, those were some good times. Probably put close to 3000 miles on the car each time.

Traveled so many times to red rocks from Iowa that I decided to move here. Now I can hear red rocks from my back yard.

While on our European vacation to London, Nice and France from Florida, I got a notification that Sting was playing in Cardiff at a freaking castle. So on a whim we decided to board a train 2.5 hours west to Cardiff to see him. He was awesome. The venue was amazing.

Up until then the farthest we had traveled was from Florida to Red Rocks to see Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats.

What's the farthest you have ever traveled to see a concert?

I traveled from Tallahassee to Los Angeles attend the 2016 Festival Supreme (combo standup and comedy band/musician festival hosted by Tenacious D). Amongst the attendees it had Tenacious D, Flight of the Conchords, Weird Al Yankovic, Garfunkle and Oats, the cast of Wet Hot America Summer singing their songs, a temporary band made up of Fred Armisen, Maya Rudolph, Will Forte, Bill Hader and Darrell Hammond and then weirdly, the punk band The Vandals were the musicians and I also saw standup from Sarah Silverman, Patton Oswalt, Tim Heidecker, Eric Andre, Jenny Slate and Matt Gelman.

Unfortunately, that was the last year but it was an amazing lineup including my top 4 comedy bands of all time. The previous three years had some good lineups but that year was the best. Previously (over the entire three years) they had the likes of Adam Sandler, Eric Idle, Cheech and Chong, Tim Minchin, Dan Harmon, Nick Kroll, Zach Galifinakis, Natasha Leggaro, cast of Kids in the Hall, Tig Notaro, Demetri Martin, Amy Poehler, Reggie Watts, Margaret Cho, Kumail Nanjiani, Awkwafina, TJ Miller, Maria Bamford, Comedy Bang Bang repeat cast, Norm MacDonald, Adam Devine, Kristen Schaal, Richard Cheese, Bo Burnham, Dr. Demento, and the Aquabats.

Figured you'd want an older pic from younger days...

11JIMMYBUFFET-1970s-articleLarge.jpg

• Haha
Drove to Vegas in college to catch the Dead in 95, drove to upstate NY to see Phish in 96, driven to Red Rocks 6-7 times, and Oak Mountain in Bama. I've flown to Oregon & New Orleans to vacation/hit shows.
Most serendipitous Phish show for me was 12/31/2009 in Miami, followed by Iowa in the Orange Bowl a few days later. That was a good trip in many ways.

Flew to LA from Sioux Falls, but not specifically for a concert. Just happened to be a concert at Staples that weekend, so I got tix.

Had tickets to see the Foo's in Denver before Taylor died and ruined that idea....thanks Hawkins.

Considered London to see Van Morrison, but didn't pull the trigger

Several trips to Vegas for concerts. Elton John, Rod Stewart, Barry Manilow. (wife is a huge Manilow fan) Small venues (Caesars and the Westgate) make for great shows. Closer to home, Jimmy Buffett at Alpine and Tinley Park. Sadly those shows may not ever happen again.

Speaking of concerts, this is my niece interviewing this chowderhead. I will say this though - not too shabby to do a piece that goes viral and gets picked up on cnn within a month of starting your new local news gig in Cincy...

• Haha
Not one specific concert, but toured around for 2-3 weeks a couple summers while in college to follow phish and widespread panic. Man, those were some good times. Probably put close to 3000 miles on the car each time.

Traveled so many times to red rocks from Iowa that I decided to move here. Now I can hear red rocks from my back yard.

What years?

Did the Dead thing in 95, Phish 96 and panic in 2000 and 2001.

Absolute blast. The panic 2001 was fun as it was such easy drives around the Midwest while there was so much driving the other tours.

What years?

Did the Dead thing in 95, Phish 96 and panic in 2000 and 2001.

Absolute blast. The panic 2001 was fun as it was such easy drives around the Midwest while there was so much driving the other tours.

Never got to do dead, unfortunately. I was just really starting to get into them when jerry died. I was sad. Probably why I jumped on the phish bandwagon. I liked phish, but panic has always been more my bag. 97-98 phish tours and 99-00 panic. So much fun. Exhausting at times, but good fun. Good chance we have crossed paths.

I didn't specifically go for the concert, but I got to see the Rolling Stones at London Stadium in 2018.

I traveled from Tallahassee to Los Angeles attend the 2016 Festival Supreme (combo standup and comedy band/musician festival hosted by Tenacious D). Amongst the attendees it had Tenacious D, Flight of the Conchords, Weird Al Yankovic, Garfunkle and Oats, the cast of Wet Hot America Summer singing their songs, a temporary band made up of Fred Armisen, Maya Rudolph, Will Forte, Bill Hader and Darrell Hammond and then weirdly, the punk band The Vandals were the musicians and I also saw standup from Sarah Silverman, Patton Oswalt, Tim Heidecker, Eric Andre, Jenny Slate and Matt Gelman.

Unfortunately, that was the last year but it was an amazing lineup including my top 4 comedy bands of all time. The previous three years had some good lineups but that year was the best. Previously (over the entire three years) they had the likes of Adam Sandler, Eric Idle, Cheech and Chong, Tim Minchin, Dan Harmon, Nick Kroll, Zach Galifinakis, Natasha Leggaro, cast of Kids in the Hall, Tig Notaro, Demetri Martin, Amy Poehler, Reggie Watts, Margaret Cho, Kumail Nanjiani, Awkwafina, TJ Miller, Maria Bamford, Comedy Bang Bang repeat cast, Norm MacDonald, Adam Devine, Kristen Schaal, Richard Cheese, Bo Burnham, Dr. Demento, and the Aquabats.
That was a pretty eclectic line up.

Every year we trek to Vegas to see Buffett. The first 15 or so times were easy trips from Denver. It's a little tougher now from Tampa but we made it out a few times. Now sure if we'll get another opportunity.

I went from Iowa to Electric Forest and Bonnaroo, not sure which one was a longer trip.

I drove to DSM from IC and flew to DFW to see Ween at Gilleys in April, nearly two years after the show I intended to see there got canceled by the pandemic. I flew back the next morning. Totally worth it too, I’m a longtime fan but never had the chance to see them before that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT