ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite airport?

ATL. Busiest airport in the world and very logically laid out so it’s easy to navigate. Non-stop to so many places and great food options at reasonable (for airports) food prices.

ATL is nothing more than an airport that depends on its history as “the worlds busiest airport” to overcome all its shortcomings. Delta can phuck right off.

Edit to add: still not as bad as ORD

Atlanta with the renovations is a fav. Considering how much traffic it handles and the weather, it is a marvel of efficiency.

PHX is smaller but it just works. Rare to find a large hub that is close to city center that requires minimal to modest walking.

Detroit Metro (McNamara at least) is modern and efficient as well. My kids love the indoor train.

DCA and IAD - but just for the architecture

Boston Logan has its troubles but location is still amazing and offers some cool views.

LAX - ultimate love/hate relationship. So much awesome and so much pain. Might as well put JFK and new LGA in same category. EWR still sucks though.

But Airport nostalgia is also worth discussing. For something big I loved Stapleton (most didn’t). The view of the mountains, close to downtown, runway over I-70 was awesome.

For smaller, SJC was cool with its old retro terminal and ground level boarding.

Ultimately though, I think my fav is SFO. Close parallel takeoff and landings win every time. Outdoor observation deck at the end of the international concourse is a nice touch as well.

The following can go to hell: PHL, DIA, IAH, MCO, TPA, MSY (old), CLE, CMH, PIT, CDG, HNL, NRT

Atlanta with the renovations is a fav. Considering how much traffic it handles and the weather, it is a marvel of efficiency.

PHX is smaller but it just works. Rare to find a large hub that is close to city center that requires minimal to modest walking.

Detroit Metro (McNamara at least) is modern and efficient as well. My kids love the indoor train.

Boston Logan has its troubles but location is still amazing and offers some cool views.

LAX - ultimate love/hate relationship. So much awesome and so much pain. Might as well put JFK and new LGA in same category. EWR still sucks though.

But Airport nostalgia is also worth discussing. For something big I loved Stapleton (most didn’t). The view of the mountains, close to downtown, runway over I-70 was awesome.

For smaller, SJC was cool with its old retro terminal and ground level boarding.

Ultimately though, I think my fav is SFO. Close parallel takeoff and landings win every time. Outdoor observation deck at the end of the international concourse is a nice touch as well.

The following can go to hell: PHL, DIA, IAH, MCO, TPA, MSY (old), CLE, CMH, PIT, CDG, HNL, NRT

As a frequent traveler. I agree with everything but:

Lax. Still trash.

Iad. Junk. Absolutely hate that airport is nothing but the ride in isn’t bad.

Pit. That’s an unfair grouping.

You’re overstating Stapleton. DEN is not that much different really. It’s like 15 miles and parallel to the mountains.

Give me a couple minutes and I’ll pick apart the rest of your thread…

Favorite being subjective and assuming we are discussing larger US airports , I would vote for PDX
PDX currently under remodel/expansion so not as nice as it used to be , but they have a cool little theater , really focus on local eats and drinks ,visuals are nice and everyone I have dealt with there has been pleasant.

m9b3frZR0Wu8I3ayN3QPrxfZMvC.jpg

Reactions: GOHOX69
I had a work trip to Virginia Beach about 10 years ago. I flew in and out of Newport News. Tiny airport with no wait times. I'm pretty sure there was a decent little coffee shop/restaurant, too.

That's it. It was wonderful.

Another vote for Detroit - solid airport - train is efficient, Westin Hotel in terminal with own security entrance for meetings, and pretty decent sushi with all the Northwest and now Delta flights from Japan.

Salt Lake City is pretty good too.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Major airport, DFW, though MSP is a close 2nd.

Smaller airports. Syracuse. I don’t fly there often, but it’s the nicest, cleanest and easiest for rental cars. Security. Etc.

Worst: O’Hare. Fvck O’Hare.

What do you dislike about Tampa? The layout is very good, they have excellent food options, and it is very convenient to all of the greater Tampa area. I am sure I am biased because it is my local airport, but I think it is one of the better airports around. It most always is near the top of rankings lists by travellers

What do you dislike about Tampa? The layout is very good, they have excellent food options, and it is very convenient to all of the greater Tampa area. I am sure I am biased because it is my local airport, but I think it is one of the better airports around. It most always is near the top of rankings lists by travellers

If I had to pick an airport that I like, it would be Tampa

Reactions: FSUTribe76
It was a basic airport without frills but when I lived in KC (1898-1991) I loved KCI. You could park 50 yards from your gate and easily make you flight getting to the airport 30 minutes ahead of time. There wasn't much food or anything but you didn't need it.

Last edited:
I could see ohare being a pain in the ass for people who have to connect through it. But if it’s your home airport your perspective changes a bit. The time to taxi can be absurd though

Visually unappealing. Architecture belongs in an early 70’s sci-fi movie. Landslide especially. But, you are correct in its functionality and food. It’s great along with its location.

I've seen a few who like Atlanta; when I flew through there on my way to/from Greece in mid-2021 it was probably the worst flying experience I've ever had. Out near gateside, there was virtually nothing in the way of food options. The only things open were the bar (food choice there consisted of bags of pretzels, popcorn, and chips), and a McDonalds. The line at McDonalds was roughly 75 people long. At the gate, there was one other place, but it was closed.
It was ridiculous...nothing like getting on an 11 hour flight with no food available prior to boarding (or exiting an 11 hour flight & not having anything available to eat).
Oh, and the line to get through customs was well over an hour. Absolutely miserable - I've had far better experiences at several airports in 3rd world countries.

ATL. Busiest airport in the world and very logically laid out so it’s easy to navigate. Non-stop to so many places and great food options at reasonable (for airports) food prices.
The one thing I don't like about ATL is the international terminal seems to be a city away.

MSP followed by LAS.
MSP is a very nice airport, they know how to deal with weather, and things are well organized.
LAS, well because it's in Las Vegas.

Small airport I like Moline out of what's drivable from here. Larger scale I like Tampa.

I used to like Orlando but after we almost missed our flight last week despite being there 2 and a half hours early due to their garbage security process I won't go there again. I'm guessing a lot of people missed flights that day. There were many open seats around us that were supposed to have bodies in them according to the seat map. The southwest flights at the adjacent gates were continuously doing last call announcements for a LOT of passengers probably stuck in that line. Plus Orlando traffic sucks. We left 4 and a half hours early for a 60 mile drive and still almost missed a flight because of those factors.

MSP. I've had nary a problem flying in and out of there. Delta is also my favorite airline.

Psp (Palm Springs). Mainly bc it’s pretty much all outdoors,, and there’s nothing better then Relaxing and having a beer in perfect weather looking at the mountains before flying out.

I like ATL, it’s logically laid out, easy to get around and decent dining options.

The one thing I don't like about ATL is the international terminal seems to be a city away.
What really sucks is when your arriving intl flight lands in Concourse E and your final destination is Atlanta. You basically have to walk from E to immigration and then to F to exit.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Psp (Palm Springs). Mainly bc it’s pretty much all outdoors,, and there’s nothing better then Relaxing and having a beer in perfect weather looking at the mountains before flying out.
I was going to list some Hawaiian airports as most are mainly outside.
But will exclude Hilo as their tsa was a real shit show last week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT