ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite bread?

I'm currently reviewing a Consumer Reports article titled "Bread that's really good for you". Several dozen brands rated. None of my favorite sourdough breads.

Cocaine bread
prairie dog GIF

1. For everyday use, I use Dave's Killer thin slice.
2. For pure enjoyment and without regard to accompaniments, I get the baguette voted best in the United States (two-time reigning champion, per Triptee World Bread Awards), from Boulangerie Christophe in Georgetown or (if on a bike ride) Potomac. If you're in DC, forget the stupid Georgetown cupcake shop, walk a couple blocks up Wisconsin Ave., and get your coffee, pastry, crepes or omelettes here. You will not be disappointed.

...but the one that sticks in my memory as the all time favorite was the simple black bread I ate in Moscow with bowls of borshch and shchi.

Last edited:
1. For everyday use, I use Dave's Killer thin slice.
2. For pure enjoyment and without regard to accompaniments, I get the baguette voted best in the United States (two-time reigning champion, per Triptee World Bread Awards), from Boulangerie Christophe in Georgetown or (if on a bike ride) Potomac. If you're in DC, forget the stupid Georgetown cupcake shop, walk a couple blocks up Wisconsin Ave., and get your coffee, pastry, crepes or omelettes here. You will not be disappointed.

...but the one that sticks in my memory as the all time favorite was the simple black bread I ate in Moscow with bowls of borshch and shchi.
So much this.

Reactions: Aardvark86
A good buddy of mine started this about four years ago. Not sure if he still does deliveries, but it's always at the local farmer's market. Absolute money.

Dang, I can't remember the first part of his handle but there's a poster with "bread" in the name and avatar. He'd dominate this thread, I assume.

Banana Bread
Raspberry Rhubarb from the farmers market.

The only thing I will ever compliment the state of Nebraksa for outside of Hunting:

Rotella bread, For sandwiches.

Yep that's it that's the question

The single best bread for toast or sliced sandwiches is this recipe my wife found for a loaf bread that comes out midway between a French Brioche and a Japanese Yudane/“Hoakkaido Milk Bread”. Somehow it lasts twice or three times as long as other fresh baked breads as it’s easily still in good useable condition 5-6 days later and is the softest, fluffiest bread you can find. It’s THE best bread for toasting and grilled cheeses/melts and perfect for any softer filling sandwiches like egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, deviled ham, pimento cheese, pate and watercress, pb&j, liverwurst and onion, tomato sandos/blts, fluffernutters and the various tea sandwiches. And it works better than most for your typical sliced deli meat sandwiches ie bologna, clubs, tlubs/turkey “clubs”, country ham, city ham, city ham & cheese, roast chicken slices, roast turkey slices, bologna, mortadella, and roast beef. Some chunkier sandwiches work like leftover turkey meat chunk/“thanksgiving sando”, meatloaf sando, fried fish of any sort and pot roast sando.

The only thing it doesn’t work well with are sloppier, wetter and ultra high stacked sandwiches that need harder and/or chewier breads like a baguette, Cubano bread, Italian Sub bread, Sicilian sesame loaf, sourdough, pumpernickel, other ryes etc when making Philly Cheesesteaks, Phily Roast Pork’s, Jersey style Italian Submarines, Muffulettas, NYC Bodega Chopped Cheese, Tampa Cubano’s, French Dips, Reuben’s, Jewish Deli Pastramis, Eggplant/Chicken/Meatball Parma, Po Boys, “Pub Subs”, etc…

If anyone wants the recipe I can get it.

As far as bought at a grocery store breads, the only ones I typically buy Dave’s Killer Bread Powerseed, Martin’s Potato Bread or Arnold’s Country Oatmeal bread.

Last edited:
Oh, and the Boudin brand sourdough bread is well worth the price for the delivery service. No other sourdough bread compares.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT