ADVERTISEMENT

What's your number on the deli slicer?

Fijimn

HB Legend
May 7, 2008
I'm a "shade under No. 1" guy. Thin has to be the default, right. I was in a rush this weekend and picked up a packaged of the pre-cut and the slices are way too think. Makes a nasty sandwich

I'm picky about a lot of food things, but this isn't one of them. My answer is always "like for a sandwich" and it's always fine.

Their are two exceptions though. When I get thick cut bologna for fried bologna sandwiches, that can be an ordeal, usually involves me trying to hold my fingers a certain amount apart, and several slices of trial and error. I only do it a couple times a year, so I can never remember the number, it's a "know it when I see it" thing.

And if I'm making a sandwich of good Italian cold cuts, salami and sopressata needs to be cut very thin.

Reactions: dgordo
I'm picky about a lot of food things, but this isn't one of them. My answer is always "like for a sandwich" and it's always fine.

Their are two exceptions though. When I get thick cut bologna for fried bologna sandwiches, that can be an ordeal, usually involves me trying to hold my fingers a certain amount apart, and several slices of trial and error. I only do it a couple times a year, so I can never remember the number, it's a "know it when I see it" thing.

And if I'm making a sandwich of good Italian cold cuts, salami and sopressata needs to be cut very thin.

Pro-tip....if you want your bologna that thick, have them cut it with the knife and not slicer.

I'm a #3 guy.
I'm 2.5 or 3, depending on my mood. I want to put two pieces of meat on my sandwich, that's it - so I do ask them to give me an even number of slices. I don't want to have to scrape together a pile of shaved scraps.

Handy piece of info, that number. Maybe it should be on the chip Bill Gates intends to implant in everyone.

Yep, as a former Publix sandwich artist and deli slicer, there are 1-10. One being thin but holding together, less than one is shaved.
tenor.gif

I did not know that.

• Haha
Reactions: Gonolz and GarryO37
I'm a "shade under No. 1" guy. Thin has to be the default, right. I was in a rush this weekend and picked up a packaged of the pre-cut and the slices are way too think. Makes a nasty sandwich
Deli meat thickness is a first-world issue worth caring about. I have been kind of accepting what they give me but now I am thinking I should demand they cut it fresh a shade under 1.

For most deli meats I like it at 1 or less. But for any kind of cheese plus liverwurst, mortadella, olive loaf, salami, Lebanon Bologna, pepperoni and headcheese I prefer it thicker. I don’t know if I’m getting a 2, 3 or 4 but I definitely prefer the aforementioned as a thicker cut. The other hams, roast beefs, chicken and turkey meats I always get very thin.

This is my pet peeve with Publix and Kroger. I like it thin but not shaved. They ALWAYS cut it too thick. And, if they do start to get it right, they must adjust it back so they have to move their arms fewer times to get 1 lb.

I've had the precut stuff so thick at Publix and Kroger that I actually measured the thickness... just a hair under 1/8 of an inch. I'm about ready to call the police.

Edit to add: Store management should dictate they use a specific number on the precut stuff.

For most deli meats I like it at 1 or less. But for any kind of cheese plus liverwurst, mortadella, olive loaf, salami, Lebanon Bologna, pepperoni and headcheese I prefer it thicker. I don’t know if I’m getting a 2, 3 or 4 but I definitely prefer the aforementioned as a thicker cut. The other hams, roast beefs, chicken and turkey meats I always get very thin.
Mmmm thick cut head cheese...

Yep, as a former Publix sandwich artist and deli slicer, there are 1-10. One being thin but holding together, less than one is shaved.

This is certainly among the most important information that I have seen on this message board I just normally ask for "thin sliced". I will be asking for number 1 from now on. Excellent contribution.

This is certainly among the most important information that I have seen on this message board I just normally ask for "thin sliced". I will be asking for number 1 from now on. Excellent contribution.
For any iowa insider peeps, I assume this is standard parlance at hy-vee as well?

One thing I learned by accident, however, is that the sharpness of the blade impacts the thick/thinness and whether it shaves or not. Apparently, roast beef needs a sharp blade... the slicer person one time had to switch to another slicer.

Depends on the type of meat. Ham I lime sloced very thin, almost shaved. Roast beef a bit thicker. Probably a 1 with ham, maybe a three with roast beef.

Cheese, split the difference & cut it at 2.

I put the same amount on a sandwich either way... only difference is if that’s 2 slices or 10.

I've seen Publix (and maybe other counters with Boars Head?) displaying this at a few stores:

7yqj2ndl5vs51.jpg

I'm with ya, Gonolz. It's so important to me, in fact, that I bought my own Hobart commercial meat slicer.

Reactions: Gonolz
Rarely purchase deli meat, but I prefer it thin.

On a side note, I loathe the scumbags who eat the demonstration slice at the counter. Gross and trashy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT