ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the longest you’ve gone without eating?

swagsurfer02

HR King
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2010
My cousin did a fast a couple weeks ago for about 3.5 days because he plateaued. He’s not fat or anything but wanted to reboot his system. During that time, he continued lifting heavy and running a mile or so a a day. He said he dropped like 14lbs. He drank damn near 2 gallons of water a day (which seems excessive to me).

Anyway, as of 7pm tonight it will be 3 days since I’ve eaten anything. As of this morning I was down almost 9lbs. I haven’t done much but mowed the lawn and I’m drinking about 3/4 of a gallon.

How long have you gone without eating?

Reactions: hwk23
I highly receommend watching this. I try to do a three day fast once a year. At 24 hours autophagy kicks in and at 48 hours stem cells produced and reduced risk of cancer. But there are many other benefits kicking in at various stages (gut healing and improved heart, brain funtion).

Probably 24 hours and not because I was trying to. I also try to drink 1.5 gallons of water every day regardless of how much I eat.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Went 5 days without eating while dealing with some kind of stomach illness. Couldn't keep anything down so just drank water and Gatorade for the week. Never found out what caused it but figured it was probably food poisoning from somewhere.

Probably ~3 days, don't know for sure though - never kept track.

I used to get really serious tonsillitis where my tonsils would swell up to the point where I couldn't eat or drink anything [insert "it hurt to swallow" jokes here]

In fact the morning of 9/11 I was on my couch in incredible pain, and ended up going to the ER later that day so they could "lance" my tonsils.

That happened 2-3 times per year from the time I was prob 20 till 35yo. In TX the doctors wouldn't take them out. Apparently removing them as an adult is a lot riskier. Finally after moving to VA I went to a doctor and he was more than happy to take them out for me. Haven't had a problem - and really haven't been sick - since then.

I had a buddy go over 3 weeks one time. Dude lost some serious weight but then gained it back over the course of a year.

• Wow
Reactions: GOHOX69
There was a good thread on fasting here a couple years ago. I did a 5-day fast. Not sure if it did anything. Hopefully it flushed out all the cancer as advertised.

I had a buddy go over 3 weeks one time. Dude lost some serious weight but then gained it back over the course of a year.
That's a little dangerous, unless he had medical supervision. They have centers in CA just for this purpose, for longer fasts.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and Moral
My cousin did a fast a couple weeks ago for about 3.5 days because he plateaued. He’s not fat or anything but wanted to reboot his system. During that time, he continued lifting heavy and running a mile or so a a day. He said he dropped like 14lbs. He drank damn near 2 gallons of water a day (which seems excessive to me).

Anyway, as of 7pm tonight it will be 3 days since I’ve eaten anything. As of this morning I was down almost 9lbs. I haven’t done much but mowed the lawn and I’m drinking about 3/4 of a gallon.

3 days, lifted heavy ass weight but for fewer reps. Ended up losing only six pounds, kept it off until I wanted to gain

Three day fast. Should do it again but it's like ... starving.

Actually, once you hit ketosis and start burning fat it's much easier. Felt more energetic afterwards.

dfdc4d07317083c50865811658dc9a708ac09d1e.gifv

A couple of days, several times as I was developing an allergy to crab. I have never gotten tested but had three times over an 18 month period where I got violently ill; the common theme was having eaten crab each time.

Couple of days, but it had nothing to do with weight loss goals.
All of the weight loss tricks are not real life to me.
If you are needing/wanting to lose weight, most people need to eat smarter(less calories) and expend more calories daily.
Granted, certain factors will change that simple dynamic, but not for most of us.

If you are needing/wanting to lose weight, most people need to eat smarter(less calories) and expend more calories daily.
Granted, certain factors will change that simple dynamic, but not for most of us.
Yeah, one of my take always for WW2 is that the Nazis conducted large scale, albeit unethical, studies in caloric restriction with observable weight loss among the participants.

It goes deeper than that. Our bodies are incredibly efficient at adjusting our metabolism for times of low calorie availability, and bouncing back as soon as you reintroduce the lost intake. So basically when you fast for weight lose you're triggering your body to go into a state where it will ration and hold anything it can to keep you alive. This exacerbates the impact when you go back to eating, because your body thinks it needs to save for the next "dry spell".

On top of that it just feels sh!tty. Balance is key.

Reactions: billanole
I highly receommend watching this. I try to do a three day fast once a year. At 24 hours autophagy kicks in and at 48 hours stem cells produced and reduced risk of cancer. But there are many other benefits kicking in at various stages (gut healing and improved heart, brain funtion).

You do realize he's a chiropractor right? Not exactly Johnny Science.

Yeah, one of my take always for WW2 is that the Nazis conducted large scale, albeit unethical, studies in caloric restriction with observable weight loss among the participants.

Interesting you mention that. There was a study done in Isreal I believe (it's been a while since I read it), and Jews that went thru the Holocaust lived on average about 7 years longer.

You do realize he's a chiropractor right? Not exactly Johnny Science.
There is also an article in the New England Journal of Medicine, if you want to educate yourself. I think it was January 2020 or about. There was a Japanese doctor that won a Nobel prize for Autophagy about 4 or 5 years ago.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT