ADVERTISEMENT

When Did Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Become So High?

Mar 14, 2003
I sit here early this morning thinking about this. When did this become an issue? Why did it become an issue? Most of us have grown up our whole lives with vaccines, and they work. Yet the theories and stories coming out about Covid vaccines is incredible. The misinformation is incredible. Yes, it appears the AstraZeneca and to a lesser extent J&J could cause issues, but the mRNA vaccines hit it out of the park. If there is anyone that’ll entertain a good conspiracy theory it is me, but this vaccine stuff is not it. Go get your shots and let’s end this pandemic!

I sit here early this morning thinking about this. When did this become an issue? Why did it become an issue? Most of us have grown up our whole lives with vaccines, and they work. Yet the theories and stories coming out about Covid vaccines is incredible. The misinformation is incredible. Yes, it appears the AstraZeneca and to a lesser extent J&J could cause issues, but the mRNA vaccines hit it out of the park. If there is anyone that’ll entertain a good conspiracy theory it is me, but this vaccine stuff is not it. Go get your shots and let’s end this pandemic!
Is this the fake account? I can't tell.

Look at yourself and the other Trump supporters. You all allowed Trump to push his conspiracy theories about, well, everything.

This isn’t difficult.

Vaccine confidence requires belief in science and experts.

Someone spent 4 years mocking science and experts.

That person’s words had an impact on public belief and trust, particularly among that person’s cult followers.

I’m sure you can get the rest.

Why would he have even bothered with operation warp speed?

Because the Tolerant Right Folks lapped up every foolish utterance from the mouth of the twice-impeached orange desecration.

Anything else?

Why would he have even bothered with operation warp speed?

What he did or didn’t do to assist private development of the vaccines is irrelevant to his constant attacks on science, his failure to wear and encourage mask usage and social distancing, his calls to “free” the states, and his decision not to get his shot with the other presidents in public but in private with no publicity.

His words and actions influence his cult; as we saw on 1/6.

I think the autism thing had a lot to do with it. I remember Don Imus pumping that theory a lot on his radio shows. I also think we are victims of our own success. I have heard a couple of families who are anti-vax talk about how their kids never got the vaccine, and they didn't get sick. They don't seem to understand that the reason their kids did not get sick is because everyone else DID get the vaccine. Lastly, I believe general distrust in government has a lot to do with it as well. I think in large measure this started with Vietnam and Watergate, accelerated during Reagan and Bush, and Trump really fanned the flames with all the Deep State talk. I myself am very distrustful of government, but the whole vaccine process was really a product of the private sector, with heavy investment from the government. It's a shame, really, that one of the greatest advances in the history medicine is viewed with such skepticism. Here we all are, so tired of masks and other restrictions after 1 year. Imagine life during the Spanish Flu era, when there were no vaccines, and you lived like this, in fear of getting the disease, for 3 or 4 years until it burned out?

I think the autism thing had a lot to do with it. I remember Don Imus pumping that theory a lot on his radio shows. I also think we are victims of our own success. I have heard a couple of families who are anti-vax talk about how their kids never got the vaccine, and they didn't get sick. They don't seem to understand that the reason their kids did not get sick is because everyone else DID get the vaccine. Lastly, I believe general distrust in government has a lot to do with it as well. I think in large measure this started with Vietnam and Watergate, accelerated during Reagan and Bush, and Trump really fanned the flames with all the Deep State talk. I myself am very distrustful of government, but the whole vaccine process was really a product of the private sector, with heavy investment from the government. It's a shame, really, that one of the greatest advances in the history medicine is viewed with such skepticism. Here we all are, so tired of masks and other restrictions after 1 year. Imagine life during the Spanish Flu era, when there were no vaccines, and you lived like this, in fear of getting the disease, for 3 or 4 years until it burned out?
Incredibly well-stated. This distrust of government is amplified by a toxic combination of social media and lack of education. Far too many of our fellow citizens choose to take medical advice from acquaintances or anonymous strangers rather than their epidemiologists or their own doctors.

What he did or didn’t do to assist private development of the vaccines is irrelevant to his constant attacks on science, his failure to wear and encourage mask usage and social distancing, his calls to “free” the states, and his decision not to get his shot with the other presidents in public but in private with no publicity.

His words and actions influence his cult; as we saw on 1/6.

No publicity? He was cancelled. He advocated for people to get the vaccine, but nobody wanted to listen. Can't have it both ways.

No publicity? He was cancelled. He advocated for people to get the vaccine, but nobody wanted to listen. Can't have it both ways.

Can’t have it both ways indeed. Can’t do all the things he did to mock science and then at the last minute try to switch like he did.

If you can’t see that, or how that impacts his cult followers, I can’t help.

Can’t have it both ways indeed. Can’t do all the things he did to mock science and then at the last minute try to switch like he did.

If you can’t see that, or how that impacts his cult followers, I can’t help.

The name of the game here is vaccines. He was consistent on the vaccine front every step of the way.

Put you in the basket over there in the corner.

Social Media.

It gives a voice to mentally ill people without the disclaimer that they are not experts.

It gives a voice to people that desperately need to find a way to be unique.

It gives a voice to paranoid idiots without holding them responsible for what they say.

It gives a voice to people of all sex, race, political affiliation, etc. that think it's "cool" to mock scientists because they can't quite understand the water cycle, let alone astrology, biology, algebra, (insert any study past memorizing basic facts).

On the autism front, even if one thinks it is true (which I do not), fully formed adults don't "catch" autism.

Perfect storm of...
Crazy Autism people
Anti-science Trump rhetoric
Kamala saying she wouldn’t take it
Rednecks and blacks mistrust of the government

Reactions: mooresville hawk
Yesterday someone I was in a room with made the comment 'You know there is aborted baby cells in the vaccine' directly after saying they were going to pass on getting it.

More like the Trump supporters’ responses. They can’t see the negative impact they did to this nation by their undying support for everything Trump, including the fight against COVID.
Apparently you don’t realize anti-vaccing was a thing long before Trump took office.

Look....I never voted for Trump either, and certainly wasn’t a fan. But this stupidity of blaming EVERY problem this country has on him is just that....stupidity.

Apparently you don’t realize anti-vaccing was a thing long before Trump took office.

Look....I never voted for Trump either, and certainly wasn’t a fan. But this stupidity of blaming EVERY problem this country has on him is just that....stupidity.
I understand it was a problem before Trump. It is sort of like racism and white supremacy. It was there before Trump, he just incited it more.

Last edited:
For me it started when I saw 4 middle aged guys sitting around a table talking the truth on vaccines. If you cant be convinced by a 2 hour video in that format then I dont know what to say.

Ok, here goes:

1) 1976 Swine Flu - Military has a outbreak in a Fort, runs tests and realizes its everywhere in the country but scientist don't realize until later only a very few people can get sick from it. Government rushes through a vaccine and starts a public vaccination campaign.

Government starts with older civilians, something like 4-5 of the older citizens die soon after taking it, media catches on and starts a public outcry after a person dies of a heart attack within a day of taking it. Public outcry stops the vaccination campaign in its tracks and public confidence is vaccinations is shaken.

Studies later determined that the vaccine was safe and that the death rates were even lower than the statistical death rate for those age groups but by the time these studies are released it is too late. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

2) Autism - Autism wasn't well understood and still isn't completely understood. During the late 1990's and early 2000's a researcher released a non-peer reviewed study linking autism with vaccinations. He took the fact that the highest rate of diagnosed autism happened to line up with the high rate of vaccination schedules for children and tried to turn it into a Causis Belli on vaccination.

The rise of the internet around this time made this study explode and suddenly vaccines cause autism was an established fact. Even after it was proven to be completely flawed and numerous studies showing it wasn't true, vaccines cause autism was permanently embedded in the public consciousness.

3) Donald Trump - Donald Trump and the Republican party became the figurehead and voice for the anti-science and anti-vaxxers. Trump further eroded public trust in science and peddled in extremist viewpoints that actively harmed peoples confidence and trust. The internet also made extremist viewpoints very easy to spread and create echo chambers that reinforced anti-science and anti-vaxxers.

I could have thrown some stuff from the 2009 H1N1 but I think these 3 points are more than enough to establish how this is happening.

Maybe some people have questions about the vaccine and immunity that haven’t been answered to their satisfaction.

If someone in their 40s had Covid in November should they get vaccinated in April?

How long does their natural immunity last?

How long does the vaccine immunity last?

Are we allowed to touch our eyes yet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT