ADVERTISEMENT

When Did Iowa End 2 a Day Summer Practices?

When I was in high school at a large school in southeast Iowa, they brought in a new head football coach for my senior year. He installed THREE-A-DAY practices. We'd go from 8-10 in the morning, have a 30-minute break, then go from 10:30 to noon. After an hour break for lunch, we'd go from 1-2:30. Personally, I loved it because, unlike many athletes, I enjoyed every minute of whatever sport I was in . . . football, basketball, baseball (but not track) . . .

That August weather was often brutal, but we had water breaks and, of course, were offered salt tablets, if you can believe it. But that was the thinking of those days. We survived it, and those grueling practices made us a better football team, no doubt. And one of the things I remember most is several of us piling into a teammate's car after that final afternoon practice and heading to the nearby A&W for a quart of root beer that I washed down with a quart of lemonade. Ah, those were the days . . .

BTW: I've never been a fan of the Iowa High School Athletic Association, a mini version of the NCAA. IMHO, of course.

Reactions: intrepodor
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT