ADVERTISEMENT

When IYO did rock music go downhill?

NewVicHawkeye

HB MVP
Jul 19, 2021
I mean it’s over, right?

Sure there’s tons of bands I love right now but not one of them is attempting to create a new sound. Is that even possible anymore with rock?

There is still good music, but you have to hunt for it. Rock is not on the pop stations much right now so it isnt really spoon-fed to people like it was previously. The modern rock stations are straight dogshit most times. My guess on why is because of radio consolidation under channels like iHeart which I am guessing have deals and contracts with labels that just push this trash. On some of the alt channels recently there seems to be a on emo and new wave push again which I am cool with.

There is still good music, but you have to hunt for it. Rock is not on the pop stations much right now so it isnt really spoon-fed to people like it was previously. The modern rock stations are straight dogshit most times. My guess on why is because of radio consolidation under channels like iHeart which I am guessing have deals and contracts with labels that just push this trash. On some of the alt channels recently there seems to be a on emo and new wave push again which I am cool with.
Yes, I pretty much agree. What I do like is that artists clearly are dedicated to the music they prefer. IOW they aren’t fakers trying to copy what’s popular to make money.

Back in the 1980s, could you have imagined country music being far more popular than rock? I’m guilty of liking some country too.

Reactions: VodkaSam
This band suits my retro taste but also managed decent success as a rock band over the past decade. Saw ‘em live backing oldies acts at the Surf tribute to Buddy Holly before they even put out a record.

Reactions: lonestar50
Music was better when you got it in physical form. Vinyl, 8 track, cassette or CD, you got something you could hold in your hands and enjoy as a work of art. By the late 90s, early 2000's, music was becoming more digitally produced and distributed and less personal.

I'd say late 90's.

It’s crazy how we can find stuff on YouTube. I’m this American music rules guy, NOT a British Invasion fan, then I find today’s top rockabilly cat is a Brit! And ooopfff he’s also my favorite country singer. You just never know and have to follow what your ears like.

If you like raw sound try really old music on 78s. Most recordings were 1 take. My favorite band recorded in the 1930s. Zero production, 100% talent.

I really liked the first album from Royal Blood, but their stuff since, like a lot of rock today, is over produced.

I want to hear a more raw sound.

My 2 cents....

Royal Blood is good, so are Rival Sons, Royal & the Serpent, Highly Suspect.

There's good new rock out there, but unlike in the past, it doesn't get any airplay. However, get on one of the streaming services and do some digging, you'll find good, new rock.

I'm enjoying the resurgence of female lead rock. I just started listening to Annabel Lee

I've always chalked it up to the 90's and the onset of computers and the internet. The music industry - I'm talking the old school way of how music was produced and consumed - more or less was destroyed over the course of roughly 10 years. There wasn't really a single link in that decades old chain of how music was consumed that wasn't reduced to rubble.

There's no "self sustaining infrastructure" left. Radio is a wasteland. There's no good old fashioned record store to go to and peruse through a thousand latest releases. There's no local stereo equipment store to go and listen to the latest and greatest equipment from entry level to holy grail rigs. There's no Epic or Atlantic or Island or Warner Brothers or Sony record label churning out new releases every week. There's no (for example) Blue Oyster Cult this week and Yes next week and Scorpions a month from now coming to the local arena (and 150 others across the country throughout the year). And holy shit, Pink Floyd and the Stones are doing a stadium concert tours this summer!

It's all gone, and I doubt it's ever coming back.

I've been on spring break all week. Because of the weather, my original plans were ruined - so I've spent most this week re-organizing my listening room. Sort of a cleaning, re-arranging equipment, etc project - I've got 3 complete rigs set up in it. Sort of my version of a listening room one might have found in a stereo equipment store back in the 70's. One wall is all the gear (CD players, a turntable, a tape deck, tuners, and amps/receivers).

Been listening to my music collection all week, roughly 5,000 songs I'd estimate. Maybe more. A lifetime of music. My bet is maybe tops 3% is post-2000 music. What is that, 150 songs?

This is the song playing right now...recorded it from Youtube about a week ago - newest song in my collection. Only way to get it at this time. I'd BUY it if it were possible.

I've always chalked it up to the 90's and the onset of computers and the internet. The music industry - I'm talking the old school way of how music was produced and consumed - more or less was destroyed over the course of roughly 10 years. There wasn't really a single link in that decades old chain of how music was consumed that wasn't reduced to rubble.

There's no "self sustaining infrastructure" left. Radio is a wasteland. There's no good old fashioned record store to go to and peruse through a thousand latest releases. There's no local stereo equipment store to go and listen to the latest and greatest equipment from entry level to holy grail rigs. There's no Epic or Atlantic or Island or Warner Brothers or Sony record label churning out new releases every week. There's no (for example) Blue Oyster Cult this week and Yes next week and Scorpions a month from now coming to the local arena (and 150 others across the country throughout the year). And holy shit, Pink Floyd and the Stones are doing a stadium concert tours this summer!

It's all gone, and I doubt it's ever coming back.

I've been on spring break all week. Because of the weather, my original plans were ruined - so I've spent most this week re-organizing my listening room. Sort of a cleaning, re-arranging equipment, etc project - I've got 3 complete rigs set up in it. Sort of my version of a listening room one might have found in a stereo equipment store back in the 70's. One wall is all the gear (CD players, a turntable, a tape deck, tuners, and amps/receivers).

Been listening to my music collection all week, roughly 5,000 songs I'd estimate. Maybe more. A lifetime of music. My bet is maybe tops 3% is post-2000 music. What is that, 150 songs?

This is the song playing right now...recorded it from Youtube about a week ago - newest song in my collection. Only way to get it at this time. I'd BUY it if it were possible.

And covid hit live music hard too. It’s a totally different world. My big problem today is that national touring bands mostly skip Iowa.

Instead of catching 30 different live shows over a year, I’ll hit 3-4 festivals and catch 30 bands.

Reactions: The Tradition
I mean it’s over, right?

Sure there’s tons of bands I love right now but not one of them is attempting to create a new sound. Is that even possible anymore with rock?
When they stopped playing/supporting it. Those young boys and their toxic masculinity were getting out of control and had to be neutralized.

This x million. The best music you have to find. It’s the bands playing in front of less than 1000 people. There’s so many good hard rock/metal bands out there grinding that you may not know about. Rock is very much alive and well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT