ADVERTISEMENT

When IYO did rock music go downhill?

I mean it’s over, right?

Sure there’s tons of bands I love right now but not one of them is attempting to create a new sound. Is that even possible anymore with rock?
Do bands like blink 182 count as rock? If so, they are probably passé and I am a basic bitch for liking them, but I do. There a bunch of bands like them with a similar sound that I also like songs from such as neck deep, secondhand serenade, +44, sum 41, etc…

Rock is clearly still alive. It’s just that other genres outsell and overshadow it today.

Seems like there’s still plenty of pop punk stuff around, and likely 100% dedicated to their music.

No way! Definitely gonna head to Des Moines if I can. Miss seeing Dave & Barbs at Stebs! (i know we've reminisced about this before!)
I saw em at Stebs bunches, and everywhere else too. I saw hundreds of live bands in the 1990s, plenty of national touring acts and the best of em was my hometown band HOLS. They were hot hot hot live but records couldn’t capture the magic imo. Not sure if I will make that show but definitely considering it.

I saw em at Stebs bunches, and everywhere else too. I saw hundreds of live bands in the 1990s, plenty of national touring acts and the best of em was my hometown band HOLS. They were hot hot hot live but records couldn’t capture the magic imo. Not sure if I will make that show but definitely considering it.
Stebs was my hangout - bar-backed/bounced there as well at times, late 90s. Saw tons of bands. We'd also head to First Ave/7th St Entry in Minneapolis alot then too, catch bigger bands at that super cool venue!

• Love
Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
Stebs was my hangout - bar-backed/bounced there as well at times, late 90s. Saw tons of bands. We'd also head to First Ave/7th St Entry in Minneapolis alot then too, catch bigger bands at that super cool venue!
That’s awesome! I was late 80s (underaged lol) - mid 90s. Stebs was definitely the place in those days. House shows the energy was incredible.

• Love
Reactions: DBQStarHawk
That’s awesome! I was late 80s (underaged lol) - mid 90s. Stebs was definitely the place in those days. House shows the energy was incredible.
(Small thread hijack, but not concerned about the OT self imposed rulers)... similar story, started working/drinking there underaged, someone dimed me out, and I was told by Sherm that he'd bring me back on when I turned 21 (which they did)... so I just wandered up the back stairs to Suds, and that became my home!!

• Haha
Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
Tuesday nights my senior year of HS, I’d look around and over half of Suds was my classmates! Couple friends even rented a party basement on the Hill that year. Place had a refrigerator for beer, no stove, no other appliances and no furniture unless someone brought in a folding chair.

Holy crap we had far more fun than the law allowed lol

• Haha
Reactions: DBQStarHawk
Listened to Brothers in Arms from Dire Straits just now. 1st time I've ever listened to the actual album before.

Might be the best sounding album I've ever heard. I used to believe Moving Pictures was that...not any more.

I can see why it sold eleventy hundred million copies. Damn good album.

Shortly after I graduated from college coincidentally. I think the last good album was like the big Paramore album

Welcome to the party.
Every Dire Straits work I own is amazing. Knopfler with others, including Emmy Lou Harris, is some of my favorite stuff.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Do bands like blink 182 count as rock? If so, they are probably passé and I am a basic bitch for liking them, but I do. There a bunch of bands like them with a similar sound that I also like songs from such as neck deep, secondhand serenade, +44, sum 41, etc…
Pop punk and rap rock both deserve a second chance in the 2020s IMO

Reactions: Tenacious E
I know I’ve discovered some great stuff that’s new to me. Hopefully others have as well.

If you got a good song that fits under the umbrella of rock- pass that sh/t around man, no Bogarding!

Reactions: The Tradition
This hillbilly rock n roll band is actually a bunch of hipsters from Chicago. My current favorite. Fun music, great sense of humor.

You kin tell by the way we talk and the way we dress that… we’re from Chicago lol

Reactions: TJ8869
Pop punk and rap rock both deserve a second chance in the 2020s IMO

I think I am unintentionally hilarious with music. I love blink 182’s and the other bands’ I listed harmonies and such, but I am a conformist in real life. With that said, I don’t really listen so much to words as I do melodies, harmonies, and beats. Csb.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
I think I am unintentionally hilarious with music. I love blink 182’s and the other bands’ I listed harmonies and such, but I am a conformist in real life. With that said, I don’t really listen so much to words as I do melodies, harmonies, and beats. Csb.
I'll put your ear to the test. This album came out last year after I saw this act live open for my favorite band and I liked the album so much that I looked up whatever press on it I could find. There was an article where the songwriter went over each track and according to him this was his attempt at writing a Blink 182 song:

Of all the rock genres, rockabilly is the whitest, least diverse and least accepting of non white non Christian types. Anybody think that way?

It’s actually the most diverse and accepting thing going in rock today. This year a heavy set gal beat a black gal for rockabilly of the year. The last winner was a different African American lady. Everybody else is represented too.

There was a time when my opening paragraph was 100% true but that time is gone gone gone.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I'll put your ear to the test. This album came out last year after I saw this act live open for my favorite band and I liked the album so much that I looked up whatever press on it I could find. There was an article where the songwriter went over each track and according to him this was his attempt at writing a Blink 182 song:

Yes this is totally in my wheelhouse. Sounds like a cross between blink 182 and weezer. FYI here are a couple of Blink 182ish songs I was referring to:

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite albums of the year so far. LA Edwards - Out of the Heart of Darkness

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT