ADVERTISEMENT

Which hawk men's Bballer would be most likely to have had some triple doubles?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
One of my first thoughts was John Johnson. He was on a high scoring run and gun team which leads to more shots made, assist opportunites, and rebounds. He was a great shooter, tall at 6' 6'" or a bit taller.

So I looked up his stats and in his 49 game Iowa career he avgd 23.9 pts a game and 10.4 rebounds a game. So he averaged a double double, which was never even a phrase back then.

But they didnt keep assist stats. Bummer. I looked up assists and the NCAA kept them in 50-51 but then didnt anymore until 83-84.

I will hazard a guess that JJ would have had a triple double while playing with Iowa scoring 30-40 plus baskets a game while averging about 100 pts a game without a 3 pt shot.

Who else might have done it for the men?

Reactions: AMAYS and MikeT2425
The great Sam Williams avgd 24 pts and 10.2 rebounds a game and he was a very good passer with some other good shooters so he very likely might have had a triple double. He had Stick Vidnovik and Calabria to sink buckets on his passes as well as others as they tied for the Big 10 title in '68

Are we guessing only on guys who averaged somewhere close to double-digits in three offensive categories for their career, or guys we think could have had an amazing all-around game to pull off a Triple Double?

If its the 2nd option, I wonder how close the likes of Jeff Horner or Luka Garza or Jordan Bohannon or RDM ever came to one.

And I have no doubt that had he stayed through all his eligibility, Keegan Murray would have flirted with one multiple times, if not actually recorded one (or more). Keegan would have done it in multiple ways, too. The usual route; Points-Rebounds-Assists, as well as Points-Rebounds-Blocks.

Reactions: uihawk82
Are we guessing only on guys who averaged somewhere close to double-digits in three offensive categories for their career, or guys we think could have had an amazing all-around game to pull off a Triple Double?

If its the 2nd option, I wonder how close the likes of Jeff Horner or Luka Garza or Jordan Bohannon or RDM ever came to one.

And I have no doubt that had he stayed through all his eligibility, Keegan Murray would have flirted with one multiple times, if not actually recorded one (or more). Keegan would have done it in multiple ways, too. The usual route; Points-Rebounds-Assists, as well as Points-Rebounds-Blocks.
I think if you look at players since 1983 when assists were being tracked you can get and idea which ones could not only have a high scoring avg, but one who avgd 5+ assists and rebounds a game. Woolridge didnt avg many rebounds from the point but we know he could score and assist so he might be less likely to get a triple double.

Yes a guy like Keegan could get 10 assists by driving and dishing to assist on jumpers and layups and we know he can score and rebound at 10+ a game

I think Keegs could have done it with more well-rounded coaching. Fran's "shoot first, ask questions later" philosophy hasn't harmed his NBA potential in the slightest, but Weezy and LG were one-dimensional, moderately-athletic players who might have gotten slightly bigger paychecks had they acquired a bit more defensive development (I still don't think either of them would be All-Star caliber even in best-case-scenario, but they could be solid contributors off the bench).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT