ADVERTISEMENT

Which of the following three statements do you agree with?

noleclone2

HR Legend
May 4, 2015
This is a bit how I am seeing these last three elections:

In 2016, Hillary Clinton was the only Democrat candidate Donald Trump could have beat.

In 2020, Joe Biden was the only Democrat candidate who could have beat Donald Trump.

In 2024, Joe Biden is the only Democrat candidate Donald Trump can beat.

Couple edits

1) by candidates I mean any other options, not those who just actually ran. In 2016, the Dems really did not run anyone and still Bernie made charge (looking back at that, this is a tell, especially after Obama ended her coronation as nominee prior in 2008). In 2020 Trump and 2024 Biden had no worthy opponents - but what if each party decided to try to find better candidate?

2) the first statement means Hillary was bad candidate. Too much negative baggage and lightning rod - so bad that even Trump beat her. So in essence - she was only one he could beat.

Last edited:
I could agree with each of these,.. they all say more about the losers than the eventual or implied winner.

Reactions: noleclone2
I think you got the first and last backwards

In 2016, Hillary Clinton was the only Democrat candidate that could lose to Donald Trump

In 2020, Joe Biden was the only Democrat candidate who could have beat Donald Trump.

In 2024, Donald Trump is the only Republican candidate that can't beat Joe Biden

Last edited:
The fact that those have been our choices for the last three cycles shows how broken our electoral system is.
This. It says a lot about how shitty of a person you have to be to run for president, and have a chance to win.

Anyone better wouldn't touch the job because of the amount of hate and grief and constant scrutiny/bashing they have to put up with. So we're left with those so power/money hungry that they don't care about any of that - including who (family and friends) might get caught up along the way. And then we all complain about the lack of choices.

In 2016, Hillary Clinton was the only Democrat candidate that could lose to Donald Trump

In 2024, Donalds Trump is the only Republican candidate that can't beat Joe Biden

This

In 2016, Hillary Clinton was the only Democrat candidate Donald Trump could have beat.

2016. Disagree. I wanted Bernie. But I underestimated the coming Maga hatred. Too many people hated Obama simply cause he was a black man as Commander in Chief. In retrospect, I have a hard time finding any democrat coming out on top. People bought the Trump brand hard and wide.

2020? Disagree. Most of us were tired of trump rage tweeting….what…30 tweets a day? Oh. Sorry. X’s a day? I’m not sure of the terminology here. Still wanted Bernie, but any other adult would have sufficed.

24? Lol. You think Trump can beat anyone right now? Is Biden the best choice for our country? Imo, no. But he’s the incumbent, and the party is not going in any other direction. So he’s what we are left with.

In 2024, Donalds Trump is the only Republican candidate that can't beat Joe Biden
Is this not just semantics and saying in essence same thing on first one? On third one sadly I fear he can beat Biden and very may will?

In 2016 Hillary Clinton really beat Donald Trump. What if she she kept saying "Stop the Steal!" Maybe should have.

Only agree with #2 when considering the 2nd place Dem was Bernie Sanders. Otherwise I think there are others who could have beaten trump.

2024-I think Trump is the only R Biden can beat. I think if the Rs picked someone other than trump the Ds would replace Biden immediately.

2016. Agree. There were many who just couldn’t stomach voting for Hillary, myself included. I voted Johnson.

2020. Disagree. There were enough US voters who cast anti Trump cotes for the D candidate. It would not have mattered to me who the Democrats put up against him.

2024. IDK. I have a weird feeling about 2024. I’m reluctantly voting Biden, but I think Trump wins. But a lot can happen between now and November.

Is this not just semantics and saying in essence same thing on first one? On third one sadly I fear he can beat Biden and very may will?
No. I think other Democrats could have easily beaten Trump in 2016 if they ran a less disliked candidate than Hillary. She was just so polarizing that many already hated her and a lot of independents went with the unknown (Trump) then with the known (Clinton). A centrist Dem in 2016 would have easily wiped the floor with Trump, which is why Biden won in 2020.

Last edited:
No. I think other Democrats could have easily beaten Trump in 2016 if they ran a less disliked candidate than Hillary. She was just so polarizing that many already hated her and a lot of independents went with the unknown (Trump) then with the known (Clinton). A centrist Dem in 2016 would have easily wiped the floor with Trump, which is why Biden won in 2020.
I think we have a failure to communicate then. That is 100 percent want I meant by she is the only Democrat candidate Trump could beat in 2016…

I'm not sure any democrat would have won in 2016. I think we all underestimated this MAGA wave that was about to hit. 100% agree Biden was the only guy to take down Trump in 2020. 2024 however is such a shitshow I'm not sure how I feel about it. Dems had to roll out Biden again once Trump was going to be obvious nominee for Reps. It's like when an old Mike Tyson fought an old Holyfield. The shine has worn off both of them and I'm looking forward to two new candidates in 2028...hopefully.

This. It says a lot about how shitty of a person you have to be to run for president, and have a chance to win.

Anyone better wouldn't touch the job because of the amount of hate and grief and constant scrutiny/bashing they have to put up with. So we're left with those so power/money hungry that they don't care about any of that - including who (family and friends) might get caught up along the way. And then we all complain about the lack of choices.
Agree with a LOT of this.
And the fact that we have two old bozos as our choices says a lot about us.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I didn’t vote for Trump in 2016. I voted against Hillary.
I didn’t vote for Trump in 2020. I voted against Biden.
I won’t vote for either one in November.

kermit.gif

Reactions: fsu1jreed
2016. Disagree. I wanted Bernie. But I underestimated the coming Maga hatred. Too many people hated Obama simply cause he was a black man as Commander in Chief. In retrospect, I have a hard time finding any democrat coming out on top. People bought the Trump brand hard and wide.

2020? Disagree. Most of us were tired of trump rage tweeting….what…30 tweets a day? Oh. Sorry. X’s a day? I’m not sure of the terminology here. Still wanted Bernie, but any other adult would have sufficed.

24? Lol. You think Trump can beat anyone right now? Is Biden the best choice for our country? Imo, no. But he’s the incumbent, and the party is not going in any other direction. So he’s what we are left with.
Jim Comey probably did more to get Trump elected in 2016 than anyone with that dumb email thing right before the election.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Then why are we having this discussion? What was the point of you asking me if "electoral" should be read differently than "Electoral College" if you already knew it had a different meaning? Why am I wasting precious minutes of my life on a shitposter like you?
Look at you falling for it wasting your “precious” time. You complete asshat.

The first statement is the only one that I agree with. There were just too many people who hated Hillary with a passion to vote for her, even though she was the better candidate. Their indifference/staying home for that election has led to the MAGA sh*t-stain that still defiles America.

Ah, the "I had no choice but to vote for Trump" crowd is my favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT