ADVERTISEMENT

White Sox to talk to LaRussa

So they got rid of an old school guy and are talking to probably the oldest school of the old school. I'm sure that'll work well with this group of guys. I predict he and Tim Anderson would get along just great.

Does LaRussa know about this yet, or has someone already woken him up from his drunken slumber in his car at a stop sign?

Reactions: Viv_Savage
During a Covid 19 pandemic, the Chicago White Sox want
to interview 76 year old Tony LaRussa for their manager
position. They will offer Tony a 5 year contract. In the
year 2020 anything is possible.

Tony LaRussa? He's gotta be getting close to 80?
Managers don’t forget how to manage and LaRussa probably has some ideas who the White Sox might look to. I doubt Tony will “ manage” again, but he understands. Also, the owner of the Sox is one of the great people in sports and has many friends. People like him and want to see him succeed.

LaRussa was previously fired from the White Sox 34 years ago....By Jerry Reinsdorf 🤣

Hang up the cleats, old men

Whitey Herzog will be 89 years old next month. He wants
to enjoy his remaining years on this earth.

And it's official

Tony La Russa, 76, a three-time World Series champion, is the new manager of the Chicago White Sox, the team announced Thursday.

La Russa hasn't served as a major league manager since ending a 16-year run with the St. Louis Cardinals in 2011, a season that culminated in La Russa's third championship. La Russa, who has a 2,728-2,365 managerial record, became the first manager in major league history to retire after winning the World Series that season.

La Russa began his managerial career with the White Sox from 1979 to 1986. White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf purchased the team three years into that stretch and fired La Russa 64 games into the 1986 season, then watched him join the Oakland Athletics later that season to jump-start what eventually became a Hall of Fame career. Reinsdorf has long regretted that decision.

After his run with the Cardinals, La Russa took on executive roles with Major League Baseball, the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Boston Red Sox and the Los Angeles Angels, who hired him as a senior adviser to baseball operations after the 2019 season.

La Russa takes over for former White Sox manager Rick Renteria, whom the organization agreed to part ways with on Oct. 12. Renteria guided the White Sox to a 35-25 record in 2020 and the franchise's first postseason appearance since 2008. Chicago lost 2-1 to the Athletics in the wild-card round.

General manager Rick Hahn said at the time that Renteria and the front office had spoken "for years" about how the "final stages" of the White Sox's rebuild would go. Hahn also said the move wasn't precipitated by anything Renteria did in 2020, including a controversial pitching move in the playoffs or the team faltering down the stretch after having a slight lead in the division.

"This isn't about any of the decision-making in Game 3 of the wild-card series," Hahn said at the time. "This isn't about anything that happened over the last couple of weeks after we clinched our position into the playoffs. This is based upon where we are as an organization and what we need to do to take that next step."

While Hahn wouldn't shed any light on who the team was interested in as it embarked on its search, he shared the type of person the team was looking for.

"Ultimately, I think the best candidate or the ideal candidate is going to be someone who has experience with a championship organization in recent years; recent October experience with a championship organization," he said.

Although La Russa hasn't been in the dugout since 2011, he was with the Red Sox as a vice president and special assistant to Dave Dombrowski, then the team's president of baseball operations, when Boston won the 2018 World Series.

C4Pe8RbUoAIb9Sx.jpg

Greenberg nailed this:

"Only the White Sox.

Only the White Sox could build a young, edgy, personable team after years of trotting out replacement-level mediocrity and then muck up the goodwill they’ve engendered like this.

Only the White Sox would proactively fire their manager after their first playoff season in 12 years and replace him with the manager they mistakenly fired in 1986.

Only the White Sox would declare they’re looking for a skipper with recent World Series experience, for a voice from outside the organization, and decide on Tony La Russa, who retired from managing after a Hall of Fame career in 2011."

I don't think this will end well. This is a pure Reinsdorf move. I think he wants to win ASAP, even though his roster is built for longer term success. I give it one year...and question if he makes it through the first year.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Not many things in sports really bother me, I'm pretty good at enjoying and celebrating the good times and compartmentalizing the bad. Losing to Purdue last week? Yeah, that was too bad. Oh well.

This actually bothers me.

I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: win1forthe
Not many things in sports really bother me, I'm pretty good at enjoying and celebrating the good times and compartmentalizing the bad. Losing to Purdue last week? Yeah, that was too bad. Oh well.

This actually bothers me.

I hope I'm wrong.

Its like so much of the stuff with Hawkeye Sports....death by 1,000 cuts and one day you find yourself not caring if you miss a game or not.

Ozzie would have been a far better hire. This is terrible.

Oh well...I guess I wont be bothering to try and see a game next year if COVID permits.

Tony LaRussa? He's gotta be getting close to 80?
When I was a 16-17 year old kid in the late 70s I went to a few games in Old Comiskey Park when the Sox had just hired LaRussa. At the time he was the youngest manager in the majors. I couldn’t believe when I heard this week he was going back there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConvenientParking
I don't think you can blame LaRussa for the injuries, or for why Grandal, Moncada, and others just aren't hitting like they are capable.

So he's not the main reason the team is disappointing. However, the stuff he can control, isn't helping. Not good.

Reactions: lucas80
I don't think you can blame LaRussa for the injuries, or for why Grandal, Moncada, and others just aren't hitting like they are capable.

So he's not the main reason the team is disappointing. However, the stuff he can control, isn't helping. Not good.
Totally agree about players underperforming or not performing at all, so that only makes the in-game strategy more crucial. That is not his strength.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT