ADVERTISEMENT

White water rafting

InsaneHawkJJP

HR All-American
Apr 1, 2013
Decorah
Just wondering how many of you have done it?
We just went in California and it was awesome! We rafted the Kaweah river at the base of Sequoia National Park. The amount of snow they got this winter created some amazing rapids, the guides said this year was the most snowpack they’ve seen in 40 years of doing this, it was something like 270%.
One of the guides told my oldest that he was lucky to have his first time be this river and that he might never find these kinds of rapids again. We had some class 4 rapids right at the beginning, it was intense.
It was truly amazing and we all loved it, even my no pic, who thought we were all going to die! We all stayed in the raft and we were all sad when it ended, probably the highlight of the trip, and it was just a spur of the moment idea. I know, CSB.

I've done it a couple times. I did the Arkansas River, through the Royal Gorge in Colorado. Depending on when you go, it can be a very challenging river. There are quite a few low bridge crossings on the Arkansas so it may not even be passable right now.

We did Ocoee River Class IV years ago. When the guide starts out the safety lecture with “if you get pinned against a rock you are screwed. Ball up and hopefully bounce away,” it gets your attention.

We’re wearing helmets and I slammed heads with the guy next to me. Almost knocked me out. Without the helmet that would have been interesting.

Guides were great.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
We just went in California and it was awesome! We rafted the Kaweah river at the base of Sequoia National Park. The amount of snow they got this winter created some amazing rapids, the guides said this year was the most snowpack they’ve seen in 40 years of doing this, it was something like 270%.
One of the guides told my oldest that he was lucky to have his first time be this river and that he might never find these kinds of rapids again. We had some class 4 rapids right at the beginning, it was intense.
It was truly amazing and we all loved it, even my no pic, who thought we were all going to die! We all stayed in the raft and we were all sad when it ended, probably the highlight of the trip, and it was just a spur of the moment idea. I know, CSB.
Have done it in Oregon and California. Also did it in Costa Rica. I will admit that doing rapids outside of the US is more fun because there are fewer safety regulations.

I rafted the Upper Gauley River in West Virginia years ago. It was pretty intense. I am amazed our raft never flipped, although we did come close once. I also have rafted the tamer Nantahala River in North Carolina several times, and it was like a kiddie ride by comparison.

Love it! Only done it a handful of times in Alaska (cold!) and Colorado. When we went last year it was August, so the water levels were too low to get the full experience. We planned this year's run in July in Glenwood Springs. Really looking forward to it. My son LOVES it.

Glad ya'll enjoyed it. Being outdoors is wonderful!

Love it! Only done it a handful of times in Alaska (cold!) and Colorado. When we went last year it was August, so the water levels were too low to get the full experience. We planned this year's run in July in Glenwood Springs. Really looking forward to it. My son LOVES it.

Awesome! I forgot to mention that the water was 36 degrees, we had wet suits on. It wasn’t bad just getting splashed, but I couldn’t wade in it for more than a couple minutes. My kids all loved it, even the 16 yo who was very reluctant to go. We will definitely do it again.

• Love
Reactions: alaskanseminole
Used to be somewhat of a river rat. Back in my younger years I used to go on 2-3 day rafting trips. It was awesome. I’ve seen some scary shit. My good buddies roommate at the time used to ve a guide and had his own raft. Man we had sone fun. Cache la poudre. Used to do quite a bit of kayaking as well until I almost died. Got stuck in a rapid and was convinced I was toast. Same buddy whose roommate was a guide stuck his paddle in the water and pulled me out. I haven’t been back in a kayak on the river since.

‘Hopefully not too late in July. water Really mellows out by July. June is prime time. Rivers are running hot as hell right now. Especially with all the rain we are getting.

I've done it a couple times. I did the Arkansas River, through the Royal Gorge in Colorado. Depending on when you go, it can be a very challenging river. There are quite a few low bridge crossings on the Arkansas so it may not even be passable right now.
I’ve done the Arkansas River in Colorado a few times. About an hour or so west of Colorado Springs, correct? There’s a spot called the “shark tooth” that’s known to tip a lot of rafts. Ours got jerked around pretty good the first time I went, and it threw 4 of us out into the river. One of the ladies with us jacked up her back and leg after smashing into a rock.

So glad I paid attention to the guide ahead of time when he said, “if you get thrown from the raft, float on your back with your feet above the water, and try gradually moving to the shore.” He said rafters have drowned because they try to swim on their stomach when they fall out, which can cause their legs to get caught in the rocks under the rapids…. which is pretty much game over.

Long story short, it was fun and it gave me a few good stories to tell, but I’ll never do it again.

I’ve done the Arkansas River in Colorado a few times. About an hour or so west of Colorado Springs, correct? There’s a spot called the “shark tooth” that’s known to tip a lot of rafts. Ours got jerked around pretty good the first time I went, and it threw 4 of us out into the river. One of the ladies with us jacked up her back and leg after smashing into a rock.

So glad I paid attention to the guide ahead of time when he said, “if you get thrown from the raft, float on your back with your feet above the water, and try gradually moving to the shore.” He said rafters have drowned because they try to swim on their stomach when they fall out, which can cause their legs to get caught in the rocks under the rapids…. which is pretty much game over.

Long story short, it was fun and it gave me a few good stories to tell, but I’ll never do it again.

a13a0fb0-36a6-48e9-aa05-9c296e15c945_text.gif

Yep, it's really easy to get a foot stuck between some rocks. If that happens, there's not a lot anyone can do. You kind of have to hope your ankle breaks and your foot comes free. It seems at least one person dies on the Arkansas every year. Lots of inexperienced tourists that don't pay attention to the safety instructions and think it is totally safe.

I am familiar with browns canyon and big horn sheep canyon and have seen a couple rafts flip there. Taking a swim down a hot river will change your perspective pretty quick. I’ll never forget the time we were cruising down a class 4 and out of the corner of my eye I see our guide floating next to the boat screaming FORWARD 3!! Scared the shit out of me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
We started in Costa Rica and ended in Panama.

I thought my wife was dead (no joke) at one point.
My son’s girlfriend also went in Costa Rica, she said everyone in the raft got bounced at least once. I’m glad none of us went for a swim. The guide said we followed his directions perfectly, and that’s key.

I shot rapids in a canoe on a summer camp excursion when I was like 13. We hit a rock and got turned around and finished the journey backwards! But we lived to tell the tale.

I’ve done the Clear Creek just west of Denver a half dozen times, always a blast but there’s that little bit of fear in the back of your mind every time. I was a nervous wreck the first time I took my kids along, but we always made it out unscathed.

I’ve done the Clear Creek just west of Denver a half dozen times, always a blast but there’s that little bit of fear in the back of your mind every time. I was a nervous wreck the first time I took my kids along, but we always made it out unscathed.

Slept like shit the night before my kids first time in the river. Was pretty convinced I was making a huge mistake as we were getting to the water.

Did this exact same trip one august - was a blast.

I did that spot as well. Really enjoyed it.

My hoppy is naming the various rapids/sections.

Things like puppy farts or devil’s funny bone

We did Glacier a few years back. Rafted there. Just a level one because of low rainfall that year.

Did the Colorado in July so mostly Class II and a few IIIs since snow melt was over. I have done Costa Rica x 2, on two different rivers. I highly recommend the Tenorio if you're ever around Guanacaste. Class III and IVs. It's hard to describe. There are a ton of rapids and the river is fast in sections. You ride smaller, more maneuverable boats that only hold 4 plust the guide. The fast sections are relatively shallow so you short of shoot through them without risk of the boat tipping. In fact you're more likely to get the boat wedged on a rock or stuck in slow current on the curve. Lots of paddling and "action" to stay in the current and a rougher ride than we experienced in Colorado so we felt like we were really rafting, rather than hitting a few rapids on a float trip.

if you somehow fell out of the boat you would be beat up on rocks but not trapped in hydraulics or pinned under. The biggest danger is probably hitting your head. Many of the faster sections with drops where you could dump are immediately followed by slow, wide sections.

I felt totally safe with kids that were 10, 12, and 14 on their 3rd raft trip. There is a 10-12 foot drop called Cascabel Falls which ends in a pool. There are ropes with at the end and they often leave guides there to pull people out. We didn't dump. It was awesome. The guides will sometimes intentionally dump people for fun (adults not kids).

Video gives you and idea.

Picture of Cascabel falls. Notice the guide balancing the boat:
350826585_777110290478483_7194118097348225753_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: The Tradition
Went on a week long trip down the Grand Canyon, amazing vacation.

Also did a short trip down the Menominee River, also very fun. Smaller rapids of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT