ADVERTISEMENT

Portland, Oregon: What a Dump!

I only want it if they press their soaped up nips on my windshield. I'll flip those boys a quarter.
Gee, when you put it that way.....

the-cable-guy-6.jpg

Reactions: millah_22
We've had drug addicts for a couple generations, some would argue longer. The drugs are stronger now and there are a lot of causes for why people start with no easy solution.

I don't think that Portland's political structure is helping matters - and I mean the structure of who governs the city, not necessarily the politics of who governs it, though the structure causes the politics. I'd say the same thing for San Francisco. The structure causes the dysfunction and then you throw addiction and access to drugs on top of it.

They haven't your information is old. Then again you live in Omaha such a forward-thinking city lol.
Omaha's okay. There's actually a lot going on. Few homeless camps but every corner has a beggar. I mean EVERY corner.

We’re in the Pacific NW for our son’s spring break and spent the weekend down in the Columbia River Gorge. Yesterday we worked our way towards Seattle and stopped for lunch in Portland based on a recommendation from my no-pics wife’s co-worker. The place was called Pine State Biscuits and the food was fine, but the clientele was a bunch of spaced-out hipsters with zero awareness of personal space, how a line works, or what “pardon me” means.

I don’t really know, nor do I care, what part of town we were in but there were tents and trash everywhere throughout Portland, and I’ve never seen so much graffiti in my life. As we were on the frontage road to get back to I-5 waiting for a painfully long stoplight there was a guy who looked like the love child of Charles Manson and Geddy Lee whacked out of his mind walking through traffic to touch the tree trunks on either side of the street. Nearby was a disheveled young woman who looked like Valerie from “The Princess Bride” wailing loudly and incoherently in the other stoner’s direction. I’m not sure whether this was a simple lover’s spat or perhaps he had consumed all her drugs. My son is only 7 and asked “What is happening?”.

I‘m a left-leaning guy, but this kind of shit is exactly why Democrats lose elections. Coddling addicts and criminals seems like the nice thing to do, but it does not work. Clean up your shithole city.

CSB
Bidenville

Remember a few months ago, some liberal nut and her boyfriend were attacked, robbed and the husband stabbed to death? I think it was in New York. And she then refused to cooperate with the police to arrest the piece of shit murderer because, to her, he was an oppressed victim and suffered enough already or some shit like that?

That is Portland in a nutshell. "Yeah, our beautiful city has been overrun with insane, dangerous homeless folk...but somehow, that's the price we pay for being privileged. So, we'll just lie about how great it is and put up with all of it. Until we get stabbed and die...because we deserve it for some reason."

We had them, but for whatever the reasons there was a push to close all the state facilities. I'm not old enough to remember why that happened, but I am pretty sure a lot of people unable to manage on their own were pushed into the streets, and the cycle repeats itself.

Every blue city in America is now a bidenville and getting worse every day as ILLEGALS pour into our nation:

Pine State is awesome. You need to get out more Grandpa. It seems like the real world has passed you by.

The tents suck but it's amusing listening to someone from Iowa critique fashion/style.

Des Moines has a huge homeless problem.
As I said, the food was fine. The ambiance sucked because most of the dipshit clientele doesn’t understand, or doesn’t care about, common courtesy. Just because you placed a carry-out order doesn’t mean you should stand in the doorway by the register blocking the path of the waitresses and customers. And when someone politely asks “pardon me - may I get through” on his way to the restroom you shouldn’t just stand there dumbfounded like I just asked to see your tits. I also politely asked the same on my way back, and when you failed to move a second time you got a well-deserved shoulder from my 6’6” 310 lb. frame.

These are not critiques of anybody’s fashion or style, but rather their lack of intelligence or courtesy.

We’re in the Pacific NW for our son’s spring break and spent the weekend down in the Columbia River Gorge. Yesterday we worked our way towards Seattle and stopped for lunch in Portland based on a recommendation from my no-pics wife’s co-worker. The place was called Pine State Biscuits and the food was fine, but the clientele was a bunch of spaced-out hipsters with zero awareness of personal space, how a line works, or what “pardon me” means.

I don’t really know, nor do I care, what part of town we were in but there were tents and trash everywhere throughout Portland, and I’ve never seen so much graffiti in my life. As we were on the frontage road to get back to I-5 waiting for a painfully long stoplight there was a guy who looked like the love child of Charles Manson and Geddy Lee whacked out of his mind walking through traffic to touch the tree trunks on either side of the street. Nearby was a disheveled young woman who looked like Valerie from “The Princess Bride” wailing loudly and incoherently in the other stoner’s direction. I’m not sure whether this was a simple lover’s spat or perhaps he had consumed all her drugs. My son is only 7 and asked “What is happening?”.

I‘m a left-leaning guy, but this kind of shit is exactly why Democrats lose elections. Coddling addicts and criminals seems like the nice thing to do, but it does not work. Clean up your shithole city.

CSB
I read your post wishing for a comparison/contrast.
What similar sized city in a desirable clime is decidedly better/ more desirable to visit according to your POV?

I read your post wishing for a comparison/contrast.
What similar sized city in a desirable clime is decidedly better/ more desirable to visit according to your POV?
I was in San Diego for a week on business earlier in the month and did see a couple tents and a few spots of graffiti, but overall it was a much cleaner city in my experience.

Reactions: billanole
So, my family is from Portland and I still have sisters and nephews that live there. Several others have relocated to the coast in Astoria. We were just out visiting last summer.

If you've ever been to the PNW you know what a spectacular place this is from a scenic perspective. There is nowhere else like it. Mountains, rivers, lakes and hundreds of miles of unspoiled coastline where the mountains meet the sea.

Referred to as Silicon Forest, Portland along with Seattle were both beautiful clean cities, surrounded by natural wonders that served as incubators for companies like Nike, Intel, Amazon, and Microsoft along with hundreds of other successful startups. Both cities have taken a major step back over the past decade. Particularly in Portland the homeless situation was out of control with tent encampments sitting everywhere in the downtown area. It is not the same city that it was and local leaders seemed unwilling or unable to effectively address it. Recent local legislation seeks to limit the number and location of encampments in the city, but it will take years to address due to limited housing and sky high rents. They are also rolling back some of the drug decriminalization legislation that was initiated a fee years ago.

CSB
Just tell your 7 year old son "this is the norm in liberal land".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT