ADVERTISEMENT

Whites Only- Dine in and get 10% discount

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
BBQ Joint Offers White People A Discount, To Fight Racism
A Colorado barbeque joint called Rubbin’ Buttz will offer a 10 percent discount to white people in what it calls an effort to combat racism, KUSA-TV reports.

One of the restaurants owners, Edgar Antillon, argues that since both black and Hispanic people get a one-month holiday, so white people should be able to spend at least one day eating barbecue at their restaurant for 10 percent off.

“We figured all we could do -- the least we could do -- is offer one day to appreciate white Americans,” Antillon told KUSA-TV.

Antillon is himself Hispanic and light-skinned. He is also a firearms instructor,according to the Washington Times, who last year led a drive to help legal marijuana smokers get concealed handgun permits.

Local civil rights activist Ricardo Romero called the discount “a perpetuation of racism.”

Rubbin’ Buttz was not immediately reachable by phone. They acknowledged the criticism in a Facebook posting:

“Although we've had overwhelming support for it, there are a few who are filled with hate and/or misunderstanding. People full of hate and negativity want your attention, don't give it to them. Stay happy!”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/08/bbq-joint-offers-white-pe_n_7242720.html

I once went with my dad to Jaarsma's Bakery in Pella one Tulip Time Saturday to pick upmhis standing pastry order for Sunday. The place was crowded as hell and when the gal asked dad if she could help him, he told her he was there to pick up his order, gave her his name...told her to "charge it" (normal)....and then when she brought him his order he told her.....Make sure you charge me "the local price." The expression on the girls face was priceless. ;)

I once went with my dad to Jaarsma's Bakery in Pella one Tulip Time Saturday to pick upmhis standing pastry order for Sunday. The place was crowded as hell and when the gal asked dad if she could help him, he told her he was there to pick up his order, gave her his name...told her to "charge it" (normal)....and then when she brought him his order he told her.....Make sure you charge me "the local price." The expression on the girls face was priceless. ;)

Probably because you dad's an ass. Jaarsma doesn't differentiate on price.

As to the OP, I'm gonna say that's illegal, for obvious reasons. That restaurant owner would be wise to change his mind.

Probably because you dad's an ass. Jaarsma doesn't differentiate on price.

But then dandh...it was a joke son..a joke! Get it? Get it? Laugh, please........Back in those days (haven't lived there for 40+ years) the TT price was a bit more than what we usually paid. I will bet you my life on it. They even raised the price of beer a nickel during this event.
Seems to me the price of "letters" is a bit higher this month than other months. But then maybe, the price of sugar spikes in the second week of May? Or the bill for freezing the "letters" comes due. Anyway dandh, the meat markets and the bakeries are charging premium prices....and when a local "charges" an item in a small town, how do you know you're paying what others pay?

But then dandh...it was a joke son..a joke! Get it? Get it? Laugh, please........Back in those days (haven't lived there for 40+ years) the TT price was a bit more than what we usually paid. I will bet you my life on it. They even raised the price of beer a nickel during this event.
Seems to me the price of "letters" is a bit higher this month than other months. But then maybe, the price of sugar spikes in the second week of May? Or the bill for freezing the "letters" comes due. Anyway dandh, the meat markets and the bakeries are charging premium prices....and when a local "charges" an item in a small town, how do you know you're paying what others pay?

You're just wrong about that, Joel. They charge the same prices the week before and after Tulip Time. I lived near there for over 20 years, and they didn't change prices then, either. I used to make a trip to Jaarsma most Saturdays, so I knew what things cost. I didn't shop as frequently at Ulrichs or Intveld, but I strongly doubt that they change prices either. They do sell a lot more with people in town, so they do quite well.

If you want cheap dutch letters, go to Vander Ploeg Bakery. The line is always a lot shorter there, though, because while it's pretty good, it's not Jaarsma.

Finally, if you think it's just a joke to loudly state in a crowded store that they charge different prices to different people for the same product, you're clueless. It's a really lousy thing to do.

Pic of rubbing butts?
027fd62c7f540d62c6f12615aa41c872.jpg

A 10% discount? Big whoop

He's free to do what he wants to do and all these suckers are giving him free publicity.

Not sure which is worse - the obvious civil rights violation or spelling Buttz with a z.

I watched his interview on one of the news channels. He said, no matter who or what race the person was that bought food, they would get the discount.

I watched his interview on one of the news channels. He said, no matter who or what race the person was that bought food, they would get the discount.

Conservatives typically cave this fast when a light shines on the ugliness of their racial ideas.

Suppose the restaurant in the OP was exclusively or almost exclusively frequented by blacks, and was owned and run by a black entrepreneur. Would there be a problem offering a discount to whites in an effort to compete more effectively in the market by broadening his customer base?

So . . . Obama and Tiger Woods walk into a restaurant....

What discount would they get?

When I was growing up, if you had a drop of black blood, you were black.

You're just wrong about that, Joel. They charge the same prices the week before and after Tulip Time. I lived near there for over 20 years, and they didn't change prices then, either. I used to make a trip to Jaarsma most Saturdays, so I knew what things cost. I didn't shop as frequently at Ulrichs or Intveld, but I strongly doubt that they change prices either. They do sell a lot more with people in town, so they do quite well.

If you want cheap dutch letters, go to Vander Ploeg Bakery. The line is always a lot shorter there, though, because while it's pretty good, it's not Jaarsma.

Finally, if you think it's just a joke to loudly state in a crowded store that they charge different prices to different people for the same product, you're clueless. It's a really lousy thing to do.

dandh...I guess I no nothing of the town I ewas born and raised in. Thank God you can set me straight there, buddyboy. (Nowadays, it makes no difference where you buy your "letters" as Jaarsma's owns/runs Vander Ploegs.) My dad owned and ran a business on the square there for 35 years, so, yep, I don't know anything about things worked when I was growing up. If you think (back in my day) the prices were the same for the TT tourista as they were for the locals, hey, I've got some real estate in Florida I would like to show you. Maybe it has all changed now......but I doubt it.
Personally, I know my dad had a "sliding scale" on what to charge for what he sold to folks and was quite successful for almost 40 years in business there.......That's the way it works in small town America. There are times you know who the consumer is and you charge appropriately. I don't mind you telling me I'm full of shit, if indeed I am.....however of this I know of what I speak. You don't think he never heard the same refrain from other businessmen he did business with? Maybe there is no sense of humor in your corporate America......but that was not the town I grew up in in the 60's-70' and 80's.

Suppose the restaurant in the OP was exclusively or almost exclusively frequented by blacks, and was owned and run by a black entrepreneur. Would there be a problem offering a discount to whites in an effort to compete more effectively in the market by broadening his customer base?
If a black restaurant owner with a predominantly black clientele offered a discount exclusively to white customers, his building probably wouldn't remain standing for long.

The owner got what he wanted. Ton's of free publicity.
Winner Winner! The owner is a genius, and he'll be thrilled to give every customer 10% off on that day, and charge anyone who's now heard of his bbq restaurant full price any other day of the week. He knew a group of people would get bent out of shape at the idea of this, and went for it. Well done sir.

He's the Paul Rhodes of Hispanic-owned bbq joints.

dandh...I guess I no nothing of the town I ewas born and raised in. Thank God you can set me straight there, buddyboy. (Nowadays, it makes no difference where you buy your "letters" as Jaarsma's owns/runs Vander Ploegs.) My dad owned and ran a business on the square there for 35 years, so, yep, I don't know anything about things worked when I was growing up. If you think (back in my day) the prices were the same for the TT tourista as they were for the locals, hey, I've got some real estate in Florida I would like to show you. Maybe it has all changed now......but I doubt it.
Personally, I know my dad had a "sliding scale" on what to charge for what he sold to folks and was quite successful for almost 40 years in business there.......That's the way it works in small town America. There are times you know who the consumer is and you charge appropriately. I don't mind you telling me I'm full of shit, if indeed I am.....however of this I know of what I speak. You don't think he never heard the same refrain from other businessmen he did business with? Maybe there is no sense of humor in your corporate America......but that was not the town I grew up in in the 60's-70' and 80's.

Joel, I guess I have to choose between believing you and my own lying eyes. Not too tough, given how I've seen you make things up on many other occassions. Maybe your family does things this way - most businesses don't. Truth be told, in a town the size of Pella it would be impossible to have the clerks know who is local and who isn't. Your story is just that -- a story.

There must be a different standard for Native American. Race chemistry, how does it work?

Obviously it's changed a lot for blacks now. It would be interesting to know if the changes for Native Americans followed a similar or different timeline. Obviously there are differences - especially since there can be benefits to having some NA blood. But if you go back far enough, I'm pretty sure you start with "breeds" of either racial mix being lumped in with the despised race, regardless of lineage.

If you like reading historical mysteries, I recommend the Benjamin January series by Barbara Hambly set in pre-Civil War New Orleans. A dark-skinned black man, he fled New Orleans as a young man and became a doctor in France. Returned now to 1833 New Orleans for family reasons, he can no longer practice and has to learn the carefully-titrated status of non-whites based on their percentage of white blood. Well-written, a good mystery, and a fascinating look at the period and it's bizarre race relations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT