ADVERTISEMENT

Who did Brian beat out for the QB coach job? Anybody else considered/interviewed?

FWIW4922463

HR All-State
Apr 1, 2021
Asking for a friend.

BTW: Poor UNI. They had to settle on former Iowa QB and long-time Canadian League QB Drew Tate to coach their quarterbacks. Too bad they couldn't get a novice former offensive lineman to coach their QBs the way the Hawkeyes did. KF, sly veteran that he is, sure pulled one over on those Panthers.

Last edited:
Belichick-tonge-thing-02-copy.jpg

Same as the OC job. Kirk sure is serious about improving his 123rd ranked offense. He searched long and hard, and Brian was the one… again.

Reactions: PD5277 and TKingpin
Let's be real here.....Kirk Ferentz is not going to do anything that is detrimental to his son's career. Any father will agree. To me, this move indicates that not everyone was on the same page as it relates to how the offense should all work together.

By KOK moving on and BF taking the reigns as QB Coach/OC, it is now his show and I would imagine that for the first time in his time in Iowa City, Kirk is going to give some latitude to the OC.

I am cautiously optimistic that my theory is true.....because if not and nothing changes, Brian's career is pretty much over at a high major level.

By KOK moving on and BF taking the reigns as QB Coach/OC, it is now his show and I would imagine that for the first time in his time in Iowa City, Kirk is going to give some latitude to the OC.
I'm not a fan of this theory to be honest. What does KF do to restrict the offense? Or, maybe better said - what would BF do differently if he had total authority over the offense?

We've seen Iowa pass multiple times in a row, go 5 wide, run reverses, throw deep, trick plays - what is it that KF does that restricts the offense from getting, ya know, first downs and TD"s?

I realize that KF isn't going to allow an "air raid" offense, but I don't think he is opposed to yards and points.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Let's be real here.....Kirk Ferentz is not going to do anything that is detrimental to his son's career. Any father will agree. To me, this move indicates that not everyone was on the same page as it relates to how the offense should all work together.

I am cautiously optimistic that my theory is true.....because if not and nothing changes, Brian's career is pretty much over at a high major level.

That is a very very VERY intriguing insight, one that I like, I hope it’s true and I think shows great thought!!

Reactions: Title07
I'm not a fan of this theory to be honest. What does KF do to restrict the offense? Or, maybe better said - what would BF do differently if he had total authority over the offense?

We've seen Iowa pass multiple times in a row, go 5 wide, run reverses, throw deep, trick plays - what is it that KF does that restricts the offense from getting, ya know, first downs and TD"s?

I realize that KF isn't going to allow an "air raid" offense, but I don't think he is opposed to yards and points.
If you have not seen the same old same old of 3 yard outs on 3rd and 7, I don't know what to tell you. Same goes for all of the stretch plays to the short side of the field.

Yes, there have been variations in formations/etc throughout the years, but please enlighten us all on the changes that have been made year over year or OC to OC. There aren't many substantial changes.....and that is due to every OC we have had running Kirk's system. To think otherwise is naive.

And with that is the reason for my premise.....another year of an offense like we just had, with no substantial changes, and probably the best athletes at skill positions we have seen in years...and KF absolutely destroys his son's coaching future.

If you have not seen the same old same old of 3 yard outs on 3rd and 7, I don't know what to tell you. Same goes for all of the stretch plays to the short side of the field.

Yes, there have been variations in formations/etc throughout the years, but please enlighten us all on the changes that have been made year over year or OC to OC. There aren't many substantial changes.....and that is due to every OC we have had running Kirk's system. To think otherwise is naive.

And with that is the reason for my premise.....another year of an offense like we just had, with no substantial changes, and probably the best athletes at skill positions we have seen in years...and KF absolutely destroys his son's coaching future.
I would probably nitpick the way you said a couple things in here but, for the premise, I agree 100%

So, Iowa has had bad OC's.

Kirk's "system" is be balanced, establish a running game, eat clock, minimize mistakes - many teams want to do that. How does that handcuff an OC?

Greg Davis came in a things immediately looked different - albeit worse. Iowa had a pretty good QB that looked completely lost his senior year. Enter BF and it was back to more like KOK used to run.

Running the ball to the short side of the field is a common strategy. You can look it up. There are generally fewer defenders to block. KF wants to run the ball, BF calls the plays.

The OC needs to understand what the defense is doing to you and call plays that are more likely to work to your advantage. QB's need to complete passes (and receivers need to catch them), the OL needs to protect the QB and open holes for the RB's. It ain't happening, so calling the "correct" play doesn't seem to matter. The offense looks completely unprepared most of the time - all that is on the OC.

I put the responsibility on KF for hiring poor OC's, not for his system.

It’s hard to dial up a lot of spectacular plays when your quarterback is woefully inaccurate. So there’s that.

Brian also has a bad habit of getting into predictable play calls and formations on first and second downs. If they come out in shotgun throwing on first down, second down is almost always an I formation run. Conversely, if Brian dials up a run on first down, second down will be a shotgun pass. The end result is a lot of third and longs. Most offenses are not going to be successful in those circumstances.

Oh, I would add Brian also has a tendency to get cute in or near the red zone, which more times than not is a drive killer. The end result is a lot of field goal attempts.

I really hope a lot of that changes.

Let’s see if the line blocking is fixed this year. We know it was below average last season.
Could be a struggle again depending on a few things. I think the only people guaranteed to start are Colby and RIchman. After that it is a battle. Ince is good when completely healthy but he was never healthy last year. Britt hasn't been healthy his whole career. DeJong and Plumb were not good at all last year. Probably have a lot of young guys competing for spots which can again mean struggles at the start of the season. I don't get when guys say they expect the line to be better even with Linderbaum gone. To me it still looks like the line is a year away from being good when you have all the young talent get some more experience so you can have Richman, Cobly, Davidkov, Stephens, Myslinski all out there.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
It’s hard to dial up a lot of spectacular plays when your quarterback is woefully inaccurate. So there’s that.

Brian also has a bad habit of getting into predictable play calls and formations on first and second downs. If they come out in shotgun throwing on first down, second down is almost always an I formation run. Conversely, if Brian dials up a run on first down, second down will be a shotgun pass. The end result is a lot of third and longs. Most offenses are not going to be successful in those circumstances.

Oh, I would add Brian also has a tendency to get cute in or near the red zone, which more times than not is a drive killer. The end result is a lot of field goal attempts.

Also very difficult to score in the redzone when your line isn't good so you can't run the ball and your QB is not accurate so difficult to pass in the tight windows that are there.

There has actually been a lot of chances mostly in the passing game with different sets. Also have seen some more gap blocking than in the past but the problem is the changes to the passing game haven't been improvements.

Self serving Kirk has made it clear the the primary role of Iowa football is to serve him and his spawn for however long he sees fit. If you question that you aren't a "real fan" evidently. Fine. He can do what he wants, I'll still watch some games but it just won't be the priority it was in the past. I've had enough of his arrogant ass and I don't care if he (Phil) manages another good season or not. Iowa being good, mediocre, or bad really makes no difference to me, it's pretty damn boring no matter what the results are

Self serving Kirk has made it clear the the primary role of Iowa football is to serve him and his spawn for however long he sees fit. If you question that you aren't a "real fan" evidently. Fine. He can do what he wants, I'll still watch some games but it just won't be the priority it was in the past. I've had enough of his arrogant ass and I don't care if he (Phil) manages another good season or not. Iowa being good, mediocre, or bad really makes no difference to me, it's pretty damn boring no matter what the results are

Not for all of us….. do what you gotta do but I like this team and I like the amount of games they have won.

But for the record I also try not to make it as important as I once did because to me, it’s pretty ridiculous to get all up in arms about a damn football game, whining bitching throwing a fit…honestly it’s childish!

Last edited:
Not for all of us….. do what you gotta do but I like this team and I like the amount of games they have won.

But for the record I also try not to make it as important as I once did because to me, it’s pretty ridiculous to get all up in arms about a damn football game, whining bitching throwing a fit…honestly it’s childish!

This. Iowa football is still appointment status...I set aside time to go to the home games and watch the road games on TV (and travel to one occasionally). I have gotten to the status where I don't freak out, get mad, etc if we lose. I move on with my life because it's not worth getting all pissed off about.

Even with the latest personnel decision...it wasn't my first choice. I don't know how it will pan out, but getting all pissed off about it is just stupid. The reactions of many on this board are incredibly immature. Pretty much a reflection of our society these days. Grace, class and composure are elements of a bygone era it seems.

This. Iowa football is still appointment status...I set aside time to go to the home games and watch the road games on TV (and travel to one occasionally). I have gotten to the status where I don't freak out, get mad, etc if we lose. I move on with my life because it's not worth getting all pissed off about.

Even with the latest personnel decision...it wasn't my first choice. I don't know how it will pan out, but getting all pissed off about it is just stupid. The reactions of many on this board are incredibly immature. Pretty much a reflection of our society these days. Grace, class and composure are elements of a bygone era it seems.

Well said and I concur 100%, it would’ve not been my first choice either. But I’m gonna live with it and see how it turns out.

Reactions: Hwk-I-St8

But people say it's kf fault our offense sucks because kf actually runs the show.

You're saying that's a lie or you saying kf is too dumb to realize how bad he's making his kid look?

Spot on

Also very difficult to score in the redzone when your line isn't good so you can't run the ball and your QB is not accurate so difficult to pass in the tight windows that are there.
Hard for your players to execute when the other team knows what is coming....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT