ADVERTISEMENT

Who Else Has TINNITUS?

Those sneaky sneaks.
What really sucks is I can't hear little girls talking. Stop, I'm not a pedo. I just can't hear my granddaughter and other girls her age. I have to try and read lips.

• Sad
Reactions: Moral
The VA said my hearing was passing but would give me hearing aids. I also have the loud places deafness that also just applies to running water. Tinnitus probably doesn't help, but in my case I think it has a bit to do with auditory processing issues. Jet fuel exposure seems to have a connection with auditory processing disorder.
Did the hearing aids help with the loud places deafness?

I heard that they can make it worse.

I wasn't trying to use a pun above.

Reactions: Moral

I decided to wait another year to get them which the lady was not happy about. I'll report back if I get them.

Reactions: ihawk in FWB

I just got some so too early to tell for sure.
In a big auditorium I was able to hear the speakers which wouldn’t have been possible before the hearing aids. I was really excited and pleased about that.

However, in a loud restaurant I could hear my family more clearly but the overall din was also louder. The busboys were clearing plates and I was thinking why the hell is that so loud. They say it can take awhile to rewire your brain and get the hearing aid domes just right. So for now, I’m adapting.

I've tried pretty much everything and it hasn't helped.

I'm able to ignore it 90% of the time but it's a problem.
I first got tinnitus when I was in middle school. So about 23-24 years ago?

It was the worst experience of my life. Just trying to deal with this new constant ringing in my ears that wouldn't go away. I didn't sleep much at all those first two days that I started to notice it.

But as time went on, I gradually found ways to deal with it and mask it, mainly when I'm trying to sleep.

Thats about how mine is, maybe a touch higher pitched. But it comes and goes and isn't terribly loud. Just an ambient background that I can hear over.

Reading this thread it definitely started up though.

No clue what caused, I have always been good about wearing hearing protection when in machinery rooms, shooting guns or using tools. And went to some concerts in my 20s but not a ton.
There's varying causes of tinnitus, some more serious than others, but most are commonly caused by either exposure to loud noises, ear infections, or just mere blockages from wax buildup.

I had a sh** ton of ear infections growing up so I was on board the tinnitus train from the beginning. I just didn't get to start in on the fun until I got into my teens, as mentioned above.

The one thing I've noticed though is that occasionally my hearing will drown out for a second and a loud ringing will pick up and increase in either my right or my left ear and hold for a few seconds before fading away. It is entirely random and doesn't happen more than maybe once or twice a month if that.

That was there in my hearing even before my permanent tinnitus kicked in.

It was the worst experience of my life. Just trying to deal with this new constant ringing in my ears that wouldn't go away. I didn't sleep much at all those first two days that I started to notice it.

But as time went on, I gradually found ways to deal with it and mask it, mainly when I'm trying to sleep.

Holy crap, I've always wondered about mine. I hear it right now, but as I mentioned, its just kind of in the background like being near the beach. Maybe its always there I just notice it more when it's quiet, I do know Ive noticed it more over the last couple of years, so I am sure it's tied to age/hearing getting worse. It isn't all consuming and I just adjust. Sounds like a lot of folks have it way worse.... (maybe thats my takeaway here! ) :)

But that sounds absolutely miserable!

There's varying causes of tinnitus, some more serious than others, but most are commonly caused by either exposure to loud noises, ear infections, or just mere blockages from wax buildup.

I had a sh** ton of ear infections growing up so I was on board the tinnitus train from the beginning. I just didn't get to start in on the fun until I got into my teens, as mentioned above.

The one thing I've noticed though is that occasionally my hearing will drown out for a second and a loud ringing will pick up and increase in either my right or my left ear and hold for a few seconds before fading away. It is entirely random and doesn't happen more than maybe once or twice a month if that.

Interesting, I'd not heard that. Infections make sense, but hadn't heard about blockages. I've never tried any of these products, but did use a lot of alcohol to prevent swimmers ear growing up.

I get that and otherwise don't have tinnitus. I figured the eustachian tube spasmed.

What works for you?

Mine came on after a shoulder surgery about 15 years ago. This may not make sense but I think it was the result of 1 of the medications I was prescribed. After a few days of recovery they just started ringing, weird. Mentioned it to the doctor and he just blew it off.

I put it on ignore like a shitty poster mostly, but it sounds like high pitched locusts on an August evening...
Pretty close to that for me, but zero raspiness, just the high pitched ringing. Have it in both ears, but it's so "loud" in my left ear I normally don't notice my right. Listening to movies etc with noise canceling headphones is my best respite.

What works for you?
Growing up I either had music playing or a fan running.

As I got older and more used to it, I got to a point where it didn't bother me enough that I always needed something in the background to drown it out.

I'll still listen to videos through my phone, but anymore that's just more to help me sleep, in general.

During the day, I can ignore it pretty well focusing on other things I'm doing or just focusing on the natural ambient noise around me. I believe parents and significant others call that "selective hearing"....... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT