ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the best HC in the history of the Super Bowl?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Listening to Mel Kiper's show on ESPN this morning, and he said it's Joe Gibbs. There is a compelling case to be made for Gibbs. He won three Super Bowl games, with three different QBs, none of whom is in the HoF. Joe Theisman, Mark Rypien, and Doug Williams each led a Gibbs coached team to a title.
Discuss.

There are 4 coaches who have won at least 3 Super Bowls.

Bill Bellichick.....6 wins (Patriots)
Chuck Noll.........4 wins (Steelers)
Joe Gibbs...........3 wins (Redskins)
Bill Walsh...........3 wins (49ers)

If you base it on wins, then you are looking at Bellichick

If you base it on innovation, then you have Walsh who
designed the "West Coast Offense"..

Last edited:
Weird choice, but I'm going with Dick Vermeil.

The guy left coaching for something like 15 years, came back, reinvented himself, and won a ring the with the Rams in 3 years. Gotta be the most unlikely path to a SuperbowlTM victory ever.

There are 4 coaches who have won at least 3 Super Bowls.

Bill Bellichick.....6 wins (Patriots)
Chuck Noll.........4 wins (Steelers)
Joe Gibbs...........3 wins (Redskins)
Bill Walsh...........3 wins (49ers)

If you base it on wins, then you are looking at Bellichick

If you base it on innovation, then you have Walsh who
designed the "West Coast Offense"..
Lute speaks. Well done, sir.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Listening to Mel Kiper's show on ESPN this morning, and he said it's Joe Gibbs. There is a compelling case to be made for Gibbs. He won three Super Bowl games, with three different QBs, none of whom is in the HoF. Joe Theisman, Mark Rypien, and Doug Williams each led a Gibbs coached team to a title.
Discuss.

Weird choice, but I'm going with Dick Vermeil.

The guy left coaching for something like 15 years, came back, reinvented himself, and won a ring the with the Rams in 3 years. Gotta be the most unlikely path to a SuperbowlTM victory ever.

And yet, Gibbs and Vermeil both got their asses kicked by Tom Flores.

I was a big Don Shula fan back in the day. When he left Baltimore it crushed me. He and Johnny Unitas were my guys back then.
His Miami crew is still the only one to go undefeated and the pressure was huge to win the SB. They did what it took. No claim that he was the best ever, except that singular achievement.

And yet, Gibbs and Vermeil both got their asses kicked by Tom Flores.
Go Raiders! In particular, Go Freddie Biletnikoff! The man whose name is on the trophy for top NCAA receiver of the year. He probably increased sales for Stickum big time.

I was a big Don Shula fan back in the day. When he left Baltimore it crushed me. He and Johnny Unitas were my guys back then.
His Miami crew is still the only one to go undefeated and the pressure was huge to win the SB. They did what it took. No claim that he was the best ever, except that singular achievement.

And he had a backup QB playing for much of that undefeated season.

Reactions: billanole
If you base it on innovation, then you have Walsh who designed the "West Coast Offense"..
Little known fact: Bill Walsh developed the West Coast Offense with legendary Head Coach Paul Brown when Walsh was Brown’s offensive coordinator for the Bengals in the late 60s/early 70s. The West Coast Offense is really the Eighth Street Viaduct Offense.

The one they named the trophy after. End of thread...
vince-lombardi-football-trophy.jpg

Little known fact: Bill Walsh developed the West Coast Offense with legendary Head Coach Paul Brown when Walsh was Brown’s offensive coordinator for the Bengals in the late 60s/early 70s. The West Coast Offense is really the Eighth Street Viaduct Offense.
Bob Trumpy called it the Midwest Coast Offense.

How is Andy Reid not even mentioned here. What's he got 10 trips to conference championship? 4 superbowl trips? 2 rings? And counting.

(I'm just trying to remember the numbers above. I know they might be wrong but I don't care enough to google)

How is Andy Reid not even mentioned here. What's he got 10 trips to conference championship? 4 superbowl trips? 2 rings? And counting.

(I'm just trying to remember the numbers above. I know they might be wrong but I don't care enough to google)

That is pretty good remembering. 11 conference championship games after the Buffalo game.

Reactions: DooBi

Shula went to the SB with 5 different QBs

Unitas
Morrall
Griese
Woodley
Marino

“Shula has the distinction of having coached five different quarterbacks to Super Bowl appearances: Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrall in 1968, Bob Griese in 1971, 1972, and 1973, David Woodley in 1982, and Dan Marino in 1984, three of them future Hall of Famers.”

Morrall was the qb for most of the 1972 season. The Dolphins nearly lost to Cleveland in the first playoff game and I believe Griese returned the next week.

Edit - Morrall started the AFC Championship and Griese came off the bench to rally the Dolphins who were trailing. I remember being around 6 years old, coming in from playing outside, and the Dolphins were losing most of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: billanole
Shula went to the SB with 5 different QBs

Unitas
Morrall
Griese
Woodley
Marino

“Shula has the distinction of having coached five different quarterbacks to Super Bowl appearances: Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrall in 1968, Bob Griese in 1971, 1972, and 1973, David Woodley in 1982, and Dan Marino in 1984, three of them future Hall of Famers.”

Morrall was the qb for most of the 1972 season. The Dolphins nearly lost to Cleveland in the first playoff game and I believe Griese returned the next week.

Edit - Morrall started the AFC Championship and Griese came off the bench to rally the Dolphins who were trailing. I remember being around 6 years old, coming in from playing outside, and the Dolphins were losing most of the game.
I just realized/remembered that Cleveland was in the NFL then. Pittsburgh as well.

Tom Coughlin should be mentioned. Was an underdog in each of his appearances against the greatest QB/ Coach duo of all time and won both.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Tom Coughlin should be mentioned. Was an underdog in each of his appearances against the greatest QB/ Coach duo of all time and won both.

History won’t be kind to the so called greatest. The rampant cheating won’t be forgotten. That said Coughlin is a two time winner and a very good coach.

History won’t be kind to the so called greatest. The rampant cheating won’t be forgotten. That said Coughlin is a two time winner and a very good coach.
Which makes his winning even better, doesn't it? Overcoming a cheating team?

Which makes his winning even better, doesn't it? Overcoming a cheating team?

I’m not taking anything away from Coughlin. He is a two time champion and should be in the hall of fame. I’d put him in well ahead of Bellicheat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT