ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the oldest person you've ever known personally?

BrianNole777

HB Heisman
Jan 27, 2023
The Jimmy Carter thread got me thinking about extreme old age.

My Grandmother lived to 102. She passed away in 2010. She was sharp as a tack mentally until the end. I saw her a few hours before she passed.

Her Mother lived to over 100. I never met her. She passed away before I was born. There is a family rumor she attended Abraham Lincoln's inauguration as a child but that may be a fish story.

Who is the oldest person you've known?

I had a great grandmother who made it to 101.

I only met her a few times though so I'm not sure you could say that I knew her personally.

Uggg makes me think of a time I put my foot in my mouth a long time ago in college. Was handing out service bulletins at chapel service, probably around 2003. One of my professors walks into chapel says "Hey I'd like you to meet my mom, she's 101 years old" . . . I responded "Oh my great grandmother lived that long!" Basically just implied in front of a old lady and my professor that the clock on her life was ticking. Damn moronic thing to say.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I had a great grandmother who made it to 101.

I only met her a few times though so I'm not sure you could say that I knew her personally.

Uggg makes me think of a time I put my foot in my mouth a long time ago in college. Was handing out service bulletins at chapel service, probably around 2003. One of my professors walks into chapel says "Hey I'd like you to meet my mom, she's 101 years old" . . . I responded "Oh my great grandmother lived that long!" Basically just implied in front of an old lady and my professor that the clock on her life was ticking. Damn moronic thing to say.
Considering almost nobody lives that long, and it is over 25% longer than average life expectancy, I doubt anyone took offense.

One of my grandmas lived to 95.

She did really well right up until the end. Once she was in a nursing home she kind of gave up and passed away in just a few weeks.

Before that she was conversational, enjoyed playing cards, and liked assisted living.

I really hope robots can be made to help me when I need it. Preserving dignity would make aging a lot more acceptable.

Great grandmother made it to 105 I was in jr high when she passed. Would see her maybe once a year, all my memories are good ones, got around with a walker, enjoyed conversations with everyone. I was too young and dumb to recognize any signs of dementia or anything like that.

One of my grandmas lived to 95.
She did really well right up until the end. Once she was in a nursing home she kind of gave up and passed away in just a few weeks.
Before that she was conversational, enjoyed playing cards, and liked assisted living.
I really hope robots can be made to help me when I need it. Preserving dignity would make aging a lot more acceptable.

I look forward to the 'dignity' of a robotic butt wipe too.

On my side most of the relatives didn't live long. The grandparents didn't hit 70. My maternal grandmother had a sister that made it to to her mid-80s.

The (no pic) wife had a grandmother that I think lived to 99. I met her when she was ~90yo. That's the oldest for me.

On my mom's side my great grandfather was always a fixture at my grandparents. In his chair, watching TV with headphones and a curly cord snaking across the room to it. When we came back to the States in '85 he moved in with us, and lived his last three years until he was 98 with us.
He was 'healthy', but aged and slow. Walked out each morning before breakfast to pick up the paper to read after breakfast. One day he told my mom he didn't feel well. Ended up checked into the hospital with his heart weakening. Lasted less than three days, enough time for my grandparents to fly down and see him one last time.
The grandfather on mom's side was diagnosed with Parkinson's right after he retired, made it to his early 70s. His wife lived to be 91. She lived with my parents the last three years of her life. Short term memory completely went, but she always recognized all of us and was usually happy. One thing that did stick in her memory was that I was going to be getting married. I swear she hung on for that, because she always asked my mom about it, and after we married October 2010 she passed away the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
Grandma on the other side passed away at 87, in a weird coincidence on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving the next year. She had been in a memory unit with Alzheimer's for several year, and didn't recognize her own kids, much less grandkids. My grandfather passed away at 88 from a brain aneurysm 28 days after she passed, in the middle of eating his dinner. Uncle found him the next morning.

If I ended up losing my memory the way my grandmothers did, I wouldn't want to be around. I couldn't actually do anything I enjoy.
If I was as 'with it' as my great grandfather was, I'd be ok with living to 98.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT