ADVERTISEMENT

Who knows the restaurant business? re: French Fries

They Lamb Weston shoestrings are as close to McDonald's fries as you can.

CSB, I was once given 10 lbs of beef tallow by US Foods and thought I'd spend the next week testing our ability to switch to house-made. The first day I realized it was completely unrealistic and the next four days I tried to clone McDonald's fries. It ended up being a two day process of cutting, soaking, blanching, chilling, par frying, freezing and then finishing. I'd have put those fries up against any that weren't fried in duck fat in a blind taste test, but they were such a pain it's the last time I've ever bothered to try.

They Lamb Weston shoestrings are as close to McDonald's fries as you can.

CSB, I was once given 10 lbs of beef tallow by US Foods and thought I'd spend the next week testing our ability to switch to house-made. The first day I realized it was completely unrealistic and the next four days I tried to clone McDonald's fries. It ended up being a two day process of cutting, soaking, blanching, chilling, par frying, freezing and then finishing. I'd have put those fries up against any that weren't fried in duck fat in a blind taste test, but they were such a pain it's the last time I've ever bothered to try.

That is a beautiful gift. I hope you reciprocated by waving a mayo turkey @Moral style for your food rep.

And yeah.. I tried to do as much from scratch as possible but there was no way my small kitchen could facilitate doing our own fries.

I appreciate the 4 day McDonald's effort. That was one of the most fun parts of the job... just ****ing around trying to create or recreate something. It is really rewarding when you finally get it to where you want it.

Then you're like, **** that... too much work :D

Ted’s Montana Grill and McGuire’s Irish Pub are two restaurants that immediately come to mind as having some great inhouse potato chips.
There’s a sports bar near me that has amazing homemade chips. But the rest of their food is trash. So unfortunate. Wings mild are too buttery, medium is like regular hot with no tanginess at all.

For a chain restaurant with above average pricing, J Alexanders does a great job with fries IMO. Their prime rib dip and fries is killer.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I think you're all madlads. Crinkle cut fries dipped in a cup of ranch is really the only acceptable fry. If someone sets down a plate of waffle fries or steak fries in front of me, the disappointment I feel is on par with well done steak.
Mickey’s does this perfectly.

I like good ol crinkle cut fries. Not too thick, not too thin. Needs to be medium gerth with no sag.

I was a restaurant chef in a past life. I've noticed in the DSM area, like 50% of the restaurants have switched to the generic Sysco brand "battered" fries.

Likely because they cook up quick, don't burn easily, and hold really well if people are pre-cooking ahead of rushes.

I'm sick of those ****ing fries... to the point I really just stopped getting fries as a side unless I know they don't use them.

I understand why a lot of places don't do them from scratch, as there is a significant amount of prep work to do them right... but **** me, find a different premade product please.

Ok, yep, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about too. That's what I'm calling seasoned fries, they're battered/coated. Glad someone else noticed the trend too.

And yep, in my teenage and college years, I worked in restaurants that sold a LOT of fries...regular, waffle, curly, sweet potato...there's plenty of perfectly delicious frozen fries that come out great.

I think you're all madlads. Crinkle cut fries dipped in a cup of ranch is really the only acceptable fry. If someone sets down a plate of waffle fries or steak fries in front of me, the disappointment I feel is on par with well done steak.
Crinkle fries are to trailer park trash as handcut fries are to HORT billionaires.

Well toss me in a double wide and call me Bubba cause crinkle cut fries are the way to go.
caddyshack-judge-smails.gif

Reactions: Mister Hawkeyes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT