ADVERTISEMENT

Who lives in the St Louis area? Also, relocation questions

funksouljon

HB Heisman
Jan 26, 2004
STL area
Looks like we are moving east this summer for work, so we starting to look at houses etc. Besides @St. Louis Hawk anyone else in the area? What should I know about moving there? I am starting research on the financial advantage of living in MO vs IL. Property taxes, income etc. Technically her job is on the IL side so that might push us to the east side, but are there reasons we should consider the west side of the river?

Any recs on realtors?
Anyone have recent success or horror stories with specific moving companies? Im looking to just get someone to roll in, pack up the house, move it all and unload there.

OblongAlienatedAfricanhornbill-size_restricted.gif

As a Missourian broad I once knew said, "You treat me like we treat people from Arkansas."
Good luck living in Misery!

Looks like we are moving east this summer for work, so we starting to look at houses etc. Besides @St. Louis Hawk anyone else in the area? What should I know about moving there? I am starting research on the financial advantage of living in MO vs IL. Property taxes, income etc. Technically her job is on the IL side so that might push us to the east side, but are there reasons we should consider the west side of the river?

Any recs on realtors?
Anyone have recent success or horror stories with specific moving companies? Im looking to just get someone to roll in, pack up the house, move it all and unload there.
Whatever it costs to hire movers is worth it.

I liked living in Kirkwood when I was there for a few years. Depends on if you have kids, what kind of scene are you looking for, do you want a house or apartment/condo?

Any recs on realtors?
My SIL lives in the Manchester/Ballwin area, and they have awesome restaurants and shopping nearby. Good schools if you have kids.

Where in IL is your wife going to be working? West County is the best place to live if you have a family/kids but would lead to a longer commute. Price point you're looking at will play a big part. Housing options for buyers are still limited over here so you're going to have to be ready to make an offer right away if you see something that you like.

Happy to help. A few questions - Where in IL is her new job? School age kids? What grades - high school or elementary? Going public or private school? Are you a couple who likes a large lot and not seeing neighbors or want to live in more city like lots with stores, shops, in close walking distances?

IL property and state taxes are pretty high, but it comes with good schools. good to great schools in STL suburbs.

Happy to help. A few questions - Where in IL is her new job? School age kids? What grades - high school or elementary? Going public or private school? Are you a couple who likes a large lot and not seeing neighbors or want to live in more city like lots with stores, shops, in close walking distances?

IL property and state taxes are pretty high, but it comes with good schools. good to great schools in STL suburbs.

Edwardsville, IL. 4th and 6th grade, likely public unless we can't find good public option, but so far, seems pretty decent education.

I have been looking, I am heavily leaning towards acres. So have been looking just a bit out of town.

This may only be a 2-3 year stop, so we might be flexible on what type of home.

Edwardsville, IL. 4th and 6th grade, likely public unless we can't find good public option, but so far, seems pretty decent education.

I have been looking, I am heavily leaning towards acres. So have been looking just a bit out of town.

This may only be a 2-3 year stop, so we might be flexible on what type of home.

If it’s in Edwardsville, living inner ring STL burbs would be a bit of a pain to get there.

Edwardsville/Glen Carbon area have some very good schools and space to breathe. I recommend you start in that general area first.

Let me know if you have any questions. Many of my partners live on the IL side so I can get scouting info on specific questions as needed.

Good luck.

Yep, Edwardsville. We are looking at a July 4 weekend to get a better lay of the land. But I was guessing it would be a pain.

@St. Louis Hawk , know any realtors? There isn’t a lot of rentals I can find online big enough, so we may just jump into a purchase. Have been looking online at some of the properties with 7 acres outside, but do t have a good idea of the drive times etc (July trip becomes more informative).

Last edited:
Late to the convo; have been in STL for almost 25 years now. 15 in the city and the last 10 in Kirkwood.

As most have already said, with the job being in Edwardsville, not sure the suburbs on the Missouri side make any sense, especially considering the amount of acreage you are looking for. You can find a wide variety of options around edwardsville so definitely focus on that.

Our best friends lived in a subdivision just west of the city (there are some nice homes on either side of Goshen Rd) and it's a good location if you have younger kids. As you go east from there you can probably find some larger lots, closer in size to what you mentioned.

Yep, Edwardsville. We are looking at a July 4 weekend to get a better lay of the land. But I was guessing it would be a pain.

@St. Louis Hawk , know any realtors? There isn’t a lot of rentals I can find online big enough, so we may just jump into a purchase. Have been looking online at some of the properties with 7 acres outside, but do t have a good idea of the drive times etc (July trip becomes more informative).

I don’t know realtors but will ping my partners for a good name or two in that area.

Reactions: funksouljon
Edwardsville is a nice area, one of the best in that area in general. I'd look in that area vs over the river in st louis to be honest.

Reactions: funksouljon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT