ADVERTISEMENT

The Stench of Climate Change Denial

alternatively, judge something on what you think about it, not what the kardashians say
A quick google tells you politicians MAY use private planes. Even if 50% do that is bad. Then they sit in congress for 6 minutes to vote yes on a climate change initiative when a phone call could work.
Again hypocrites.

A quick google tells you politicians MAY use private planes. Even if 50% do that is bad. Then they sit in congress for 6 minutes to vote yes on a climate change initiative when a phone call could work.
Again hypocrites.
i'm still not understanding why that impacts you're opinion or thoughts on the subject, unless you're solely basing those things on the words of politicians and celebrities (which would seem to be a bad thing)

i'm still not understanding why that impacts you're opinion or thoughts on the subject, unless you're solely basing those things on the words of politicians and celebrities (which would seem to be a bad thing)
I'm not a denier what I'm saying is the ones that pass laws or initiatives on the general public are full on hypocrites as it pertains to climate change.
That's why climate change is near the bottom of my worries when it comes to this country.

I'm not a denier what I'm saying is the ones that pass laws or initiatives on the general public are full on hypocrites as it pertains to climate change.
That's why climate change is near the bottom of my worries when it comes to this country.
So it could be devastatingly serious, but you don't care because . . . celebrities?

Do you have any other thoughts on climate change? You say you aren't a denier but, in my experience, only deniers have such shallow views.

What do you think we should do about it? Or is mocking Greta all you've got?

your reasons are your reasons

i just don't understand the cause and effect here.

especially considering the sheer amount of issues that our politicians are complete hypocrites on (basically all of them)

So it could be devastatingly serious, but you don't care because . . . celebrities?

Do you have any other thoughts on climate change? You say you aren't a denier but, in my experience, only deniers have such shallow views.

What do you think we should do about it? Or is mocking Greta all you've got?
I recycle.
I use my vehicle for work and kids sports.
When I fly I fly gen pop like the rest of us.
My 2nd child we used reusable diapers.

What else would you like me to do?

your reasons are your reasons

i just don't understand the cause and effect here.

especially considering the sheer amount of issues that our politicians are complete hypocrites on (basically all of them)
Read your last paragraph to yourself
Now you get it.

I recycle.
I use my vehicle for work and kids sports.
When I fly I fly gen pop like the rest of us.
My 2nd child we used reusable diapers.

What else would you like me to do?
As should be clear to everyone by now, good individual acts have no chance of turning the tide (no pun intended) because we let the deniers call the shots for about 3 decades too long.

So thanks for recycling - beyond which it appears you aren't doing much.

What we need now is aggressive, publicly funded government action, together with a loud public demand that our business community behave in accordance with the science and the best interests of our people and the environment.

Can you back that? Can you vote for politicians who advocate that?

If not, your claims that you aren't a denier ring hollow.

So thanks for recycling - beyond which it appears you aren't doing much.
How do you know? Are you my neighbor?

Can you pay to install solar panels for me?

I've had a garden for about 5 years now but if you can sweet talk City Hall into allowing me to have chickens and cattle within city limits I'm all ears.

yeah...which is why i think it's dumb to base your own feelings about an issue on whether or not politicians are hypocrites
Exactly. It can be depressing, for sure.

But there are good people working to address the important problems. Learn who they are. Back them. And do what you can.

I wish this weren't true, but almost nobody working on this problem comes from the Republican side.

Republican complicity in the massive harm we are already seeing from climate change is borderline criminal. I'd say they crossed that line long ago, but that's just me.

Reactions: cigaretteman
How do you know? Are you my neighbor?
You gave me your list. Remember? Here it is again:

I recycle.​
I use my vehicle for work and kids sports.​
When I fly I fly gen pop like the rest of us.​
My 2nd child we used reusable diapers.​

You recycle, you drive, you fly and you used reusable diapers for one of your kids.

I gave you credit for recycling. I probably should have given you credit for the diapers. But if your list is that tepid, it sounds like your commitment is pretty weak.

Do you vote for people who are aggressive on climate change? Do you bother to inform yourself about climate change?

Do you argue in favor of attacking climate change here? Anywhere else?

Do you think you're a positive influence on this topic? You could be. But if you want to be you need to change your message from

"I'm not a denier . . . but..."

to something more affirmative and constructive.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Can you pay to install solar panels for me?
Of course not. But an aggressive approach to climate change would include federal and state programs for that. Sure, some states offer some help and there are some federal credits and such, but it isn't enough for most of us.

So, what you could do is support politicians who favor programs like that. Do you?

Of course not. But an aggressive approach to climate change would include federal and state programs for that. Sure, some states offer some help and there are some federal credits and such, but it isn't enough for most of us.

So, what you could do is support politicians who favor programs like that. Do you?
Not sure what his views are but I voted Scholten the last 2 times

In keeping with my theme for today. Is the stench of climate change denial anything like the stench of millions of rotting cicada carcasses? If so I'm against it.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Ff0114a22-a081-4284-8dda-9b3be7f43c6c_717x778.png

People posting on an unnecessary internet forum, wasting electricity, while arguing with strangers about who does more for climate change.

Who contributed more CO2 by heating their home last winter, you or that southerner?
Well, my wifes grand parents lived in old trailer in FL for over 30 years without air conditioning year round, try that today. He owned a trucking company that transported produce as far north as Maryland. The difference between the 40s-50s and now are night and day.

I thought Paul Krugman was a prize winning economist.
Then the curtain was pulled back and he was exposed as nothing more than a political activist posing as an economist.
Now, however, we learn that the multi talented Mr. K is actually an expert on climate change with an enormous depth of experience and knowledge in the field.
Leftists are enthralled with the affable Mr. K.
Others wonder when his true identity will become as obvious to liberals as it has long been to the rest of us…🤡

It’s true though, isn’t it? There isn’t a person in this thread who couldn’t do more to change their daily life for the benefit of the climate. That includes you.
I’m not disagreeing, but I think it’s important that we do what’s available to us to make our planet a hospitable place to live - in general - whether we believe WE are in charge of it and the Universe - in general.

So, what’s the worse case scenario in regard to climate change? How bad are things going to get?
One fun part about ocean warming and instability could be mass extinction of phytoplankton, plankton that produce anywhere from 50% to 70% of the earth's oxygen. I'll let you figure out what the side effect of that would be.

Claiming there is no climate change is racist, homophobic and misogynistic.

It’s true though, isn’t it? There isn’t a person in this thread who couldn’t do more to change their daily life for the benefit of the climate. That includes you.
As has been pointed out many, many times, we are waaay past the point that individual tweaks are sufficient.

That's not to say that we couldn't and shouldn't be doing better individually, so by all means do what you can. BUT please stop acting like if we all just did better we could solve the problem. That might have been true 30-40 years ago. It hasn't been true for quite a while.

If we don't like what we're already seeing and want to avert worse to come, collective concerted action is needed.

I burn all my paper, cardboard, plastic, etc.
CO2 is plant food and if I feed them they make oxygen for me. Win/win.

Are you actually interested, or just looking for something to mock?

What would get you to take it seriously?

I'm not mocking climate change. Seriously. I understand it's occurring and I believe that humans are causing it. What I was mocking were the individual comparisons and accusations going on in the thread. I find them humorous, given all of our circumstances.

I recommend this book.

I don't have much faith in enough people caring about climate change to force major overhaul. At least not for quite some time. I think it will take the advent of serious climate problems to force the hand of the masses. I do have hope that new technologies like Direct Air Capture will be implemented and will begin to make differences in the volume of CO2 that humanity is emitting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT