ADVERTISEMENT

Who should Biden nominate with his four brand new SCOTUS picks?

Multiple justices in history didn’t even have law DEGREES.
Kewl. James Byrnes was the last one, nearly 80 years ago. And he was appointed by Roosevelt mostly as a political favor in return for Byrnes having helped him pass the New Deal. Byrnes served a little over a year on the SCOTUS before resigning to head up the Office of Economic Stabilization, intended to control inflation during WWII.

But that wasn't even my question, was it? My question was whether we've ever had a Supreme Court justice who was appointed without an active license to practice law.

Got any of those up your sleeve?

If he wins I hope he does expand the court and go full progressive libtard. I'd just as soon speed up America's demise as draw it out any longer than necessary.
That's the spirit, Bill, let us Dems take the wheel for a while. At least you can be able to bitch about the driving again.

If a liberal nominated Garland and Obama I wouldn't really care. I wouldn't agree with how they ruled, but those are both picks with some type of legal background.

Now suggesting AOC is just asinine. I'd encouraging a Republican to nominate Charlie Kirk if that happened.
But AOC would drive you insane. You're missing the point.

That system came under attack in the 1970's and was replaced by a program in which about half the editors are chosen for their grades and the other half are chosen by fellow students after a special writing competition. The new system, disputed when it began, was meant to help insure that minority students became editors of The Law Review.
Just out of curiosity . . . How does letting the students vote help insure that minority students will become editors?

Personally, I think Trump should nominate a black woman to fill RBG’s seat...
I suggest Stacey Abrams.

Whom do you suggest?

Can't think of any black R women you want on the Court? Yeah, me neither.

[Not saying there aren't any good black R women. Not saying there are, either.]

If you’re going to do this, they should all be very young. No Garland, Obama or Hillary. They are all too close to death.

If you’re going to do this, they should all be very young. No Garland, Obama or Hillary. They are all too close to death.
I'm not sure it really matters.

If we don't dramatically change course in the next few years, we're pretty much toast anyway.

Whereas if we fix things properly in those few years, we should be able to put more good people on the Court as needed, going forward.

Find the people who can get the job done. And then load the docket with cases to give them the opportunity to fix what's wrong.

If you need a list of what needs fixing at the Supreme Court level, I refer you to the book I started a thread about.

Supreme Inequality

Reactions: naturalmwa
My question was whether we've ever had a Supreme Court justice who was appointed without an active license to practice law.

Good question for a COVID-era Trivia game.

The right answer is: "Who cares? What does that have to do with whether a nominee can be a good Justice?"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT