ADVERTISEMENT

Who should start for Iowa?

Who should start for the Iowa Men's Basketball team?

• 1) Keegan Murray

Votes: 216 99.5%
  • 2) Jordan Bohannon

Votes: 101 46.5%
  • 3) Connor McCaffery

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • 4) Ahron Ulis

Votes: 32 14.7%
  • 5) Kris Murray

Votes: 122 56.2%
  • 6) Tony Perkins

Votes: 93 42.9%
  • 7) Patrick McCaffery

Votes: 124 57.1%
  • 8) Payton Sandfort

Votes: 59 27.2%
  • 9) Filip Rebraca

Votes: 150 69.1%
  • 10) Joe Toussaint

Votes: 174 80.2%

• Total voters
I like Perkins starting at the 3.
KrM @ the 3 spot.

The rest:
Joe T
JBo
KeM
Rebraca

6th man is PMac
Then Perkins and CMac.
Then Ulis and Sandfort.

That's my top 10 so far. I like it.

Josh O could/should get some minutes. We'll see when he gets back to 100%. Mulvey is super young. But he'll be a good one down the road!

Last edited:
Without Data, your just another person with an opinion…. -Edward Demmings
So my decades of watching college basketball pales in importance compared to a computer that spits out numbers based on a couple of games? Hell, why play the games? Let the stat people play them on their PC's and post the results. Will definitely free up a ton of hours of my time.

Without Data, your just another person with an opinion…. -Edward Demmings
Sorry, but anyone who's watched the first five games and thinks Josh O is one of our top five players on EITHER end of the floor, (given his whopping 15 minutes of game time against the 2nd teamers on bad teams), is spending too much time mining data, and is clueless.........

After 5 games advanced metrics have 4 players with a sub-90 rating ( with 100 being average )

Keegan
Kris
Perk
wait for it…….

Josh Ogundele

JoeT is at 90.1

Not surprisingly, this is the 5 I’ve recently put forth would be the best combination to optimize iowas overall defense efficiency while still maintaining a high level of offensive efficiency
Anyone who thinks Big O has been good on either end hasn't been watching what I have seen. Advance metrics matter a lot more of extended minutes. I haven't quite given up, but other than being able to push on Cockburn for a minute or two, I am waiting to see something positive. Edit. apologies for repeating KCeast's earlier post that says almost the same thing, which I hadn't read yet.

Anyone who thinks Big O has been good on either end hasn't been watching what I have seen. Advance metrics matter a lot more of extended minutes. I haven't quite given up, but other than being able to push on Cockburn for a minute or two, I am waiting to see something positive. Edit. apologies for repeating KCeast's earlier post that says almost the same thing, which I hadn't read yet.
a standard metric we can look at is rebounding % and Ogundele has Grabbed 21% which is tops on team, and totally agree on small sample.

Purdue has 2 really good Bigs, and ILlinois has Kofi who scored 38 in his last outing vs a small team.

what is the proposal to defend them, certainly nobody 1v1?

which means zone
(and we know what Purdue did to IOWAs zone last year at W Lafeyette)

Purdue has 2 really good Bigs, and ILlinois has Kofi who scored 38 in his last outing vs a small team.

which means zone

The zone beat Purdue last year. But Iowa didn’t play in W Lafayette last year.

a standard metric we can look at is rebounding % and Ogundele has Grabbed 21% which is tops on team, and totally agree on small sample.

which means zone
Again, and I'm the opposite of a Josh basher, he hasn't played enough minutes

which means zone
Yeah but he's only played like 10 minutes total. Give me 10 minutes qnd my metrics might look pretty good or really bad, or anywhere in between. Statistics only matter with a sufficient sample size. Otherwise I could be in for one minute, sitting on the floor, have the ball bounce off the rim into my hands and then sling it down the court to a wide open teammate and you know what? I'd lead the nation in rebounds and assists on a per 40 basis.

Again, and I'm the opposite of a Josh basher, he hasn't played enough minutes

Yeah but he's only played like 10 minutes total. Give me 10 minutes qnd my metrics might look pretty good or really bad, or anywhere in between. Statistics only matter with a sufficient sample size. Otherwise I could be in for one minute, sitting on the floor, have the ball bounce off the rim into my hands and then sling it down the court to a wide open teammate and you know what? I'd lead the nation in rebounds and assists on a per 40 basis.

Agree on Josh O, conditioning is by far the biggest concern with him. In two seasons, the most minutes he’s played have been 8 minutes, 6 minutes, a couple of 4 minute games and a handful 3 and 2 minute games.

I honestly don’t know if he can go much more than 10-15 minutes a game and still be effective. I think most of us would like Josh’s size in there if he could. He’s got some skill, but it’s mostly still raw at this point.

Hoping Josh is feeling better and ready for tonight.

Last edited:
Agree on Josh O, but conditioning is by far the biggest concern with him. In two seasons, the most minutes he’s played have been 8 minutes, 6 minutes, a couple of 4 minute games and a handful 3 and 2 minute games.

I honestly don’t know if he can go much more than 10-15 minutes a game and still be effective. I think most of us would like Josh’s size in there if he could. He’s got some skill, but it’s mostly still raw at this point.

Hoping Josh is feeling better and ready for tonight.
I think everyone would be thrilled with 10-15 minutes of Josh if he were effective in those minutes. We really don't need any more than that. I don't think that Fran has any intention of giving him that however.

Reactions: iahawks10
Check out the box score of Iowa at Purdue Feb 2, 2020, in W Lafayette, (last year).
Purdue 104 IOWA 68.

game summary: Purdue crushed the zone…

You meant the game a year and nine months (almost 10 months) ago? That one game 663 days ago and (two seasons) back? 46 games prior to tonight’s game. That one? Good call.

There’s two players on today’s roster that played significant minutes in that Purdue game (two seasons ago). That would be Connor and Joe T.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkOn15
I think everyone would be thrilled with 10-15 minutes of Josh if he were effective in those minutes. We really don't need any more than that. I don't think that Fran has any intention of giving him that however.

10-15 minutes would be the end of the rainbow type minutes (at this point) and I don’t see Fran playing Josh anywhere near that anytime soon either.

I’m just saying I don’t think Josh can physically go much more than that right now, so his name being mentioned as a starter (or starter minutes) is pretty pointless even if his numbers reflect they should. IMO

Reactions: jonesy5960
You meant the game a year and nine months (almost 10 months) ago? That one game 663 days ago and (two seasons) back? 46 games prior to tonight’s game. That one? Good call.

There’s two players on today’s roster that played significant minutes in that Purdue game (two seasons ago). That would be Connor and Joe T.
Yes, the game last year, at W Lafayette.

and the comment was related to who was going to guard the big guys?
and if they were going to play zone agan?

it has nothing to do with who is on the current roster back then, or last year years game,
( as you desperately try to cover up your gaffe)

Yes, the game last year, at W Lafayette.

and the comment was related to who was going to guard the big guys?
and if they were going to play zone agan?

it has nothing to do with who is on the current roster back then, or last year years game,
( as you desperately try to cover up your gaffe)

So two seasons ago? Got it.

My gaffe, 😂. You thought Iowa lost to Purdue last year. Comical

Reactions: HawkOn15 and KcTo
For the 3rd or 4th time, Last year when Iowa played at W Lafayette…

I get that you are new to the sports world, so I’m trying to help you. When you use the word “year” in sports, it means season, not calendar. So for the third or fourth time, Iowa did not play in W Lafayette last year.

No charge for the consultation.

I get that you are new to the sports world, so I’m trying to help you. When you use the word “year” in sports, it means season, not calendar. So for the third or fourth time, Iowa did not play in W Lafayette last year.

No charge for the consultation.
I’m going to choose to end this nonsense here, because I don’t want others here to take me as a fool, as is the case when you try to argue with one.

which means zone
I am not a Ogundele basher, but I am waiting and hoping to see something that leads me to believe he can be a major contributor. I agree that Purdon't is going to be an incredibly tough match up. Rebraca was a really good addition, but even UVA showed that he is going to struggle defending the basket against bigger more physical centers. Purdon't has two centers who are even bigger and better. Hawks better be extremely hot from 3 against the Boilers. That is the only recipe I see for winning that game, which will probably be their toughest game of the year.

Reactions: KcTo
I am not a Ogundele basher, but I am waiting and hoping to see something that leads me to believe he can be a major contributor. I agree that Purdon't is going to be an incredibly tough match up. Rebraca was a really good addition, but even UVA showed that he is going to struggle defending the basket against bigger more physical centers. Purdon't has two centers who are even bigger and better. Hawks better be extremely hot from 3 against the Boilers. That is the only recipe I see for winning that game, which will probably be their toughest game of the year.
Even Ogundele is smaller than 2 of those 3 and will face size challenges with them.

I do like the idea of playing him with the idea that he can play extremely aggressively and use all 5 of his fouls in stopping dunks, lay ins and make them go from 5-5 FG to 6-10 FT… that’s a 4 point swing…

Big O was inconsistent tonight at best. Was pretty bad in 1st half but had some moments in 2nd. Wish he had gotten more PT against the scrub teams before tonight. We will need him against Kofi

Could only vote for 4 since you don't have our best center on the list:

PG Joe Toussaint
SG Kris Murray
SF Keegan Murray
PF Patrick McCaffery
C Joe Ogundele

HawkOn15 said:
Ogundele is likely a major liability on defense against most teams

care to revise your statement ?
I'm here to eat some crow and gladly so. The big fella played some ball last night. Great for him and the team if he can give Iowa 15-20 minutes a game if needed.

Reactions: KcTo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT