ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the best B1G Basketball Player this Season? Payton Sandfort?

I hope so! He’s certainly going to score a lot of points. But to win BTPOY your team has to win some games.
He has a better chance to lead the league in scoring than to win CPOY. CPOY are usually reserved for players on teams who finish top 2 in the conference. Garza won it in 2019-20 when Iowa finished 5th in the conference. You have to go back to 1986-87 to find a guy whose team finished lower than that and also won CPOY.

I like PS when he's shooting well. But he does tend to force some shots. I was a little surprised he only takes 12 shots a game, but in Iowa's offense it seems everyone gets their fair share of shots. He's a shoot to get hot, shoot to stay hot type. From my perspective he has two weaknesses in his game. Defense & losing focus. He gives good effort on D, but just too slow of foot. Focus wise, he sometimes throws some lazy passes & takes some wild/forced shots.

He's a great/loyal Hawkeye & he has potential to be POTY. But I think it's a long shot. He will get his shots/points. Maybe he ups his rebounds. 20 pts, 8.5 rebounds, 4-5 assists per game & Iowa in top five of the conference... would love to see it. OHHHH, and Sweet 16 of course!

While POY being overwhelming based on scoring gives him a chance, I very much doubt it's going to be Sandfort.
The odds of Sandfort scoring enough AND Iowa finishing high enough in the standings is a long shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT