Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Mid Major Champ

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Let’s assume a 5 seed is where we land.

Would you rather play a play-in game winner or a mid major champion?

Non-B1G teams in line for play in games: Notre Dame, Miami, SMU, Wyoming, Xavier, A&M (Michigan and Rutgers others)

Mid-Major Champs: Chattanooga, SDSU, UAB

On one hand, we’re all aware of the 5-12 upset phenomenon. On the other hand, there’s some crazy stat out there that’s something like up until 2019(?), every tournament has a had a play-in game winner reach the Sweet 16, including 2 final fours I believe.

What say you? I’m a bit scarred by our SDSU game from a few years ago and they have like 30 wins. The other two I listed don’t seem as bad. But ultimately I’d rather play a mid major.

Let’s assume a 5 seed is where we land.

Would you rather play a play-in game winner or a mid major champion?

Non-B1G teams in line for play in games: Notre Dame, Miami, SMU, Wyoming, Xavier, A&M (Michigan and Rutgers others)

Mid-Major Champs: Chattanooga, SDSU, UAB

On one hand, we’re all aware of the 5-12 upset phenomenon. On the other hand, there’s some crazy stat out there that’s something like up until 2019(?), every tournament has a had a play-in game winner reach the Sweet 16, including 2 final fours I believe.

What say you? I’m a bit scarred by our SDSU game from a few years ago and they have like 30 wins. The other two I listed don’t seem as bad. But ultimately I’d rather play a mid major.
There are no play in games. The First Four are officially NCAA tournament games.

Loyola Chicago is the only mid major that would be able to compete with us, and that’s just because of how well coached they are. Remember when we played Davidson and every talking head had them as the “easy upset pick”?

I just want to avoid a hot P5 team in the first round and UCLA in the second. That’s all

Reactions: StonesCat
Loyola Chicago is the only mid major that would be able to compete with us, and that’s just because of how well coached they are. Remember when we played Davidson and every talking head had them as the “easy upset pick”?

I just want to avoid a hot P5 team in the first round and UCLA in the second. That’s all
Agree on UCLA. I’ve seen Loyola plenty and while I hate their style, they don’t have a true big like Krutwig the last few years. Also, the guys know what happened to Illinois last year. Definitely wouldn’t overlook them.

Teams that can combine solid defense with a solid post presence are the ones that’ll give us fits most likely.

Loyola Chicago is the only mid major that would be able to compete with us
It’s March Madness and weird things happen, of all the mid majors that shouldn’t be able to compete with us on paper, teams find a way to win even when they have no business doing so. To your point though, I’d rather play a mid major than a P5 team that’s played better competition consistently throughout the year.

First four winner? No thank you….we have seen multiple teams go on a run in that scenario….sort of have one game to settle nerves and bottle the lightning. I’d rather be playing from the same base scenario as our opponent.

Reactions: Gonolz
Yeah, that’s what the NCAA tells the teams in the play-in games. They are still play-in game.
Play in for what? Either the First Four are in the tournament or they are not. The NCAA says they are. Case closed.

Play in for what? Either the First Four are in the tournament or they are not. The NCAA says they are. Case closed.

semantics...you are correct, but not important point.

Anyway, I would be more afraid of a high major gaining momentum/getting rid of jitters from win from the "first 4"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT