ADVERTISEMENT

Who's a more entitled group: cyclists or dog owners?

dog owners or cyclists?

• dog owners

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • cyclists

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

General Tso

HB Legend
Nov 20, 2004
I realize there is a Venn diagram here, but as I've witnessed more behavior of dog owners in my neighborhood (walking dogs off leash in public parks, droppings, poop bags set on top of my garbage cans, etc I now vote for dog owners.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
No, your dog doesn't need to come with you into the grocery store. And, no, it doesn't need to sit on your lap while you drive.
In fact, you probably could have, and should have just left it at home. It can handle an hour on its own. Unfortunately too many dog owners can't handle an hour on their own.

No, your dog doesn't need to come with you into the grocery store. And, no, it doesn't need to sit on your lap while you drive.
In fact, you probably could have, and should have just left it at home. It can handle an hour on its own. Unfortunately too many dog owners can't handle an hour on their own.
I take my dog with my while running short errands. Put me on your list Regina!

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk
there are more dog owners, but cyclists think they own all roads & sidewalks
If there is no bike lane or path cyclists are entitled to the road, so that is justified. It does bother me when they are on a narrow sidewalk that isn't wide enough to be considered a bike path.

That is still less frequent than running into a bad dog owner that thinks they did nothing wrong.

I realize there is a Venn diagram here, but as I've witnessed more behavior of dog owners in my neighborhood (walking dogs off leash in public parks, droppings, poop bags set on top of my garbage cans, etc I now vote for dog owners.
Dog owners around my neighborhood are pretty great...but I don't live around riff-raff.

Reactions: Jedhawk77
If there is no bike lane or path cyclists are entitled to the road, so that is justified. It does bother me when they are on a narrow sidewalk that isn't wide enough to be considered a bike path.

That is still less frequent than running into a bad dog owner that thinks they did nothing wrong.
It is not the being on the road part which irritates me, it is the wanting to have your cake and eat it too attitude where they demand the benefits but ignore the requirements, such as stopping at stop signs/lights.

I will prob say I'm a little biased since Omaha is terrible for bicyclists anyway, so there aren't many off the recreational paths. So I don't typically encounter too many.

Dogs on the other hand. It seems like since 2020 a lot of people have adopted but don't want to go through any sort of obedience training. Now they just shove their dog outside in their yard after 5pm and they bark at anything that walks by. My neighborhood has basically turned into a gentrified dog fighting ring.

It is not the being on the road part which irritates me, it is the wanting to have your cake and eat it too attitude where they demand the benefits but ignore the requirements, such as stopping at stop signs/lights.
Does your state have laws for Idaho Stops and being allowed to shuffle to the front if on a bicycle?

I have no idea what any of this means.
Some states (I don't think Iowa) have Idaho Stop laws. Which means bicyclists are allowed to treat stop signs as a yield, and stop lights as a stop.

Also some municipalities and states have laws that bicyclists are allowed to pass the line to the front at a stop light.

These laws really rub drivers the wrong way and view them as entitled, but completely legal.

Some states (I don't think Iowa) have Idaho Stop laws. Which means bicyclists are allowed to treat stop signs as a yield, and stop lights as a stop.

Also some municipalities and states have laws that bicyclists are allowed to pass the line to the front at a stop light.

These laws really rub drivers the wrong way and view them as entitled, but completely legal.
Huh. If there are such laws in Iowa they should be repealed immediately.

Why? Idaho stops really benefit bicyclists. Bodies use quite a lot of energy starting from a complete stop, especially on hills. They're supposed to treat it like a yeild, so they shouldn't be blowing through the signs/stoplights anyway. Studies have shown they actually decrease bicycle related crashes at intersections.

As for shuffling to the front, it just increases visibility.

Reactions: Jedhawk77
Actually they make sense. It’s a lot quicker for flow if it’s the cyclist turn and they sort of roll through. Otherwise they have to unclip, stop, plant feet, remount, and start moving again.

If it’s about flow, let them. If it’s about being an angry POS from the car, they can wait even longer.

Dog Owners. Cycling is a valid for of transportation. Dogs are not people.
I wish more people biked. Corvallis had a great bike culture. It seemed like almost everyone biked either for transportation or recreationally. Every street had a bike lane, and since most people biked they knew how to treat other bicyclists when they were driving.

Its kind of like the "everyone should work food service so they know how to treat servers" argument. Everyone biked so they knew how to treat other bicyclists.

there are more dog owners, but cyclists think they own all roads & sidewalks
Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Shouldn't bicycles be behind the cars at stop lights, rather than in front, since when the light turns green they're slower than the cars, and will just hold everyone up?

Reactions: millah_22
As someone who lived in Chicago for 15+ years, the easy answer for me is cyclists. I appreciate those who use a bike for transportation in a large congested city. But god damn, 90% of people who ride act like they rule the road and fail to obey simple laws/rules.

I can’t tell you how many times I’d be at a four way stop, start to enter the intersection when I had to right of way and all of the sudden some ahole on a bike would come flying through the intersection from my left or right without even thinking about stopping.

Shouldn't bicycles be behind the cars at stop lights, rather than in front, since when the light turns green they're slower than the cars, and will just hold everyone up?

TLDR:

Basically, it allows motorists to see the riders.

If a cyclist is behind a car at a stop light a car behind may not brake in time, misjudge the distance, not see the cyclist at all or a mix of other things. So being in the front of traffic protects riders from that.

Another thing is many motorists rarely look in their right hand mirror behind them to check for bikes when turning right. So cars can easily make a turn right in front of a cyclist. So they are getting clear of potential hazards by being in front of the line at an intersection.

You'll see many intersections with a green box at the stoplight. That is the bike area and cars shouldn't be stopped at the light, in that section.

Has Joey bit any neighbor kids lately? Kind of kidding, but seriously. How is Joey? I think that was his name.
Joey is doing great and he's never bitten a kid, just me. His new owner has a behavioral trainer working with both Joey and Mosley and they're both doing awesome! On walks, Joey is still one of the neighborhood favorites, just not fit for our home. We're on the hunt for a new pooch for the alaskanseminole home.

Reactions: millah_22
Why?

And the answer to this question is dog owners, AINEC.
Bc I can. I'm self employed and mostly work from home. My dog is my buddy. If I'm running errands I don't take my dog into any stores with me so it is times when I'm in and out. And she enjoys tagging along.

Why?

And the answer to this question is dog owners, AINEC.
I used to be the guy that was annoyed when relatives brought their dogs to my house. And I will never do that but I'll bring her along like I posted. So I get where you are coming from and used to be that guy. Then flip flopped. Sorry to you and Regina to disappoint you.

• Sad
Saw somebody with a huge Great Dane in a Kwik Star. It had no service dog identification. Owner did it as a big F’u

You can bet the owner was a piss poor loser with no means to compensate anybody if the dog hurt them.

It’s out of control.

I used to be the guy that was annoyed when relatives brought their dogs to my house. And I will never do that but I'll bring her along like I posted. So I get where you are coming from and used to be that guy. Then flip flopped. Sorry to you and Regina to disappoint you.
Are Great Dane's dangerous?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT