ADVERTISEMENT

Why are airplanes suddenly losing parts in flight all the time?

The DOJ has opened a criminal investigation into Boeing after it was discovered that the plane, that has the door panel fall off, left the factory without four critical bolts to secure it.

Criminal investigation update starts at 1:00 on this video

Billiken says “hey, big deal. Planes have lots of other bolts that ARE securely bolted on.” 😂

Billiken says “hey, big deal. Planes have lots of other bolts that ARE securely bolted on.” 😂

I understand what Billiken is saying. I’ve flown a lot over the last 25 years. One of the things that I always remind myself whenever the plane is being thrown around by turbulence is that there are many redundancies built into aircraft. I saw it pointed out in an article that you actually have to go out of your way to crash an airplane. They don’t just fall out of the sky over the littlest thing.

All of that said, the gutting of Boeing by financial types is no different than what we have seen in just about every large company in every industry. It is non stop corner cutting so that more money can be funneled to a small handful of people. It is the exception when quality doesn’t go to complete crap.

It is now to the point that the confidence that we long held for aviation safety no longer exists. We have seen the financial termites hollow out company after company and the end result is most always the same, an unreliable garbage product that costs a lot more. Only in this case, the cost is the greatly increased uncertainty about the safety of the plane you are flying.

Last edited:
Now, tie their past tax rates over the preceding 3-5 years vs the numbers of safety issues and recalls.

<1: no change to past tax rate
2-5: 2x tax rate; you need to pay your back taxes this year
6-10: 4x tax rate
>10: 10x tax rate

Those additions apply to EACH of the preceding 5 years of your returns.

You'd see them tripping over themselves mandating safety/quality in anything they shipped.

And, yes, those tax rates ONLY apply to "management" positions. Double each of them for VPs and other senior execs.

CBC Canada

American Airlines pilot points out that it likely would have been far worse had the door come off at cruising altitude

5 years after 737 Max crashes, is Boeing any safer?

please tell me you are posting satirically.
No I’m not. Im not saying engines are constantly on fire or failing but planes have things break everyday, including engine issues. Everything is under such a microscope right now. I bet you have boarded many flights having 0 clue the plane was actively being repaired or having a system be deferred (allowed to fly without repaired for X time) to continue flying. Nothing has changed in the industry, just the eye balls on Boeing.

“An MEL is the list of equipment that may be inoperative, yet still allow an aircraft to operate safely, per FAA regulations. Referring to the MEL also helps operators determine the impact of flying with inoperative systems.”

Some days you show up to a plane with 0 MELs some days there is a laundry list. Doesn’t make anything inherently less safe to fly.

“Security camera footage that may show who worked on the door plug which blew off an Alaska Airlines Boeing 737 MAX on Jan. 5 has been overwritten, according to a letter by NTSB Chair Jennifer Homendy to US senators.”

Boeing video of door-plug removal 'overwritten': NTSB

Btw I’m not saying Boeing hasn’t done some stupid shit. I am glad I only fly Airbus but this stuff is getting out of control. The only newsworthy story, IMO, is the door plug. Everything else is not really that uncommon, just more cameras and eyes now on social media. In recent years Southwest had a passenger sucked out a 737 window and it didn’t get a fraction of the current Boeing news cycle.

Reactions: torbee
No I’m not. Im not saying engines are constantly on fire or failing but planes have things break everyday, including engine issues. Everything is under such a microscope right now. I bet you have boarded many flights having 0 clue the plane was actively being repaired or having a system be deferred (allowed to fly without repaired for X time) to continue flying. Nothing has changed in the industry, just the eye balls on Boeing.

“An MEL is the list of equipment that may be inoperative, yet still allow an aircraft to operate safely, per FAA regulations. Referring to the MEL also helps operators determine the impact of flying with inoperative systems.”

Some days you show up to a plane with 0 MELs some days there is a laundry list. Doesn’t make anything inherently less safe to fly.
I was a bit needlessly snarky. I get your point.

That said, it still feels to me Boeing is guilty of the same thing newspaper chain owners are (and I’ve had a front row seat for that): putting shareholder value ahead of quality in the sake of efficiency and money saving.

It’s a morally and ethically bankrupt business model, IMO.

william-shatner-twilight-zone.gif

distress-the-twilight-zone.gif

When I was a kid, United and Boeing were the gold standard in their respective industries. Now they’re low-budget dog crap.
Living in Dallas, I mostly fly American, so I had not been on a United flight in several years. Two years ago, I had to fly out of Denver and that meant United. I was shocked how bad it had become. The plane was filthy. The seats were old and falling apart. The flight crew spent more time trying to get me signed up for their credit card than anything else. Their “free” in-flight entertainment kept directing me back to sign up for the same credit card the flight crew was flogging. The whole experience was eye-opening as to just how low budget United has become.

Reactions: Ree4
Boeing was probably thinking that today didn't go as poorly as yesterday, and then United said hold my beer

I still love United though because even though they're becoming fewer and farther between, once in a while you still get that veteran flight crew that looks like Twisted Sister

• A Boeing whistleblower said he refused to fly on a plane he'd boarded after realizing it was a 737 Max.
  • Ed Pierson told CNN he'd deliberately made sure the plane wasn't a 737 Max before booking.
  • He spent 10 years at Boeing and testified to Congress in 2019 about its factory in Renton, Washington.

Boeing didn't immediately respond to a request for comment regarding Pierson's account.

Pierson previously told the Los Angeles Times that he would "absolutely not" fly on a 737 Max because of safety concerns.

Pierson worked at Boeing between 2008 and 2018. He has said that during his time working at Boeing's 737 factory in Renton, Washington, he witnessed overworked employees, parts shortages, and quality issues, which he said made the planes produced by the factory unsafe. He said he recommended to the company's leadership that it close down production at the factory but it ignored his requests.

Last edited:

• A Boeing whistleblower said he refused to fly on a plane he'd boarded after realizing it was a 737 Max.
  • Ed Pierson told CNN he'd deliberately made sure the plane wasn't a 737 Max before booking.
  • He spent 10 years at Boeing and testified to Congress in 2019 about its factory in Renton, Washington.

Boeing didn't immediately respond to a request for comment regarding Pierson's account.

Pierson previously told the Los Angeles Times that he would "absolutely not" fly on a 737 Max because of safety concerns.

Pierson worked at Boeing between 2008 and 2018. He has said that during his time working at Boeing's 737 factory in Renton, Washington, he witnessed overworked employees, parts shortages, and quality issues, which he said made the planes produced by the factory unsafe. He said he recommended to the company's leadership that it close down production at the factory but it ignored his requests.

Shocked that it came out that corporate greed is the reason why these issues are happening.

I could have swore some posters thought that DEI and Black pilots were the cause of these issues.

“Overworked employees, parts shortages, and quality issues” describes every manufacturing facility in the country.

His recommendation to shut down Renton is laughable. The guy is a loon.

Shocked that it came out that corporate greed is the reason why these issues are happening.

I could have swore some posters thought that DEI and Black pilots would exacerbate these issues.

FTFY

We should all want the most qualified pilots regardless of skin color.

Discriminating against white & asian pilots because of their skin color is wrong. Any law or policy that does this is racist by definition.

One would happily agree with everything I said, unless of course, one is in fact a racist, then discriminating against white & asians is okay.

“Overworked employees, parts shortages, and quality issues” describes every manufacturing facility in the country.

Tell that to the families of the Lion Air and Ethiopian Air B737 Max crashes that killed everyone on board both times. Maybe he was completely right and you are the loon.

Lol, I concur. I guess as an av-geek I assume this is fairly common knowledge, but Alaska ONLY flies 737 variants. Their regional affiliates and subsidiaries fly smaller planes on shorter routes.

Every damned plane in their fleet was made in Renton. Hopefully he doesn't try booking a return flight on Southwest otherwise this aviation insider will be in for another complete shock.... What a bogus sensationalized story this is.

Suddenly our long neglected and inadequate interstates and limited Amtrak routes will be overbooked.

I understand what Billiken is saying. I’ve flown a lot over the last 25 years. One of the things that I always remind myself whenever the plane is being thrown around by turbulence is that there are many redundancies built into aircraft. I saw it pointed out in an article that you actually have to go out of your way to crash an airplane. They don’t just fall out of the sky over the littlest thing.

All of that said, the gutting of Boeing by financial types is no different than what we have seen in just about every large company in every industry. It is non stop corner cutting so that more money can be funneled to a small handful of people. It is the exception when quality doesn’t go to complete crap.

It is now to the point that the confidence that we long held for aviation safety no longer exists. We have seen the financial termites hollow out company after company and the end result is most always the same, an unreliable garbage product that costs a lot more. Only in this case, the cost is the greatly increased uncertainty about the safety of the plane you are flying.
Late stage capitalism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT