ADVERTISEMENT

Why are they encouraging the players to come mid-term their senior year?

LIV4GOD

HB MVP
Nov 23, 2020
From the Gazette:

“We have made a living on guys who are three-sport, four-sport athletes,” Ferentz said. “We’ve had guys who are wrestling champions, basketball state champions, track champs. The new world we’re in right now, we’re going to be negligent with our jobs if we’re not trying to, not force, but really encourage guys to come in mid-term their senior year.
“So when we think about all this stuff with college football, the trickle-down effect. To me, that ought to be a part of the high school experience. I’m really torn on that. But I know this, if we don’t (encourage early enrollment), then we’re in trouble.
Why would he think they will be in trouble if they don't get guys early?

I think in the context it had something to do with the new 105 man schollie limit.

I still don't get it. It is really 9 months early? They could come that summer. Don't most redshirt anyway?

From the Gazette:

“We have made a living on guys who are three-sport, four-sport athletes,” Ferentz said. “We’ve had guys who are wrestling champions, basketball state champions, track champs. The new world we’re in right now, we’re going to be negligent with our jobs if we’re not trying to, not force, but really encourage guys to come in mid-term their senior year.
“So when we think about all this stuff with college football, the trickle-down effect. To me, that ought to be a part of the high school experience. I’m really torn on that. But I know this, if we don’t (encourage early enrollment), then we’re in trouble.
Why would he think they will be in trouble if they don't get guys early?
Missing out on physical and mental development in a developmental program.

Reactions: Torg
Missing out on physical and mental development in a developmental program.
It's really quite simple. The sooner you can get them on campus the less likely they are to switch to another team who offers them more cash. Potentially it also means that you may get more playing time from them. Come in early and you have a better chance to play in your red shirt freshman year. If you turn out to be good, then you might play two seasons at Iowa before jumping to another program for a big NIL number or you will learn sooner that you can't or won't be playing at Iowa much so you can leave a year earlier and make a place for another early entry player.

With the limit capped at 105, more freshmen will have to come in ready to play. D1 college football does take considerable specialization. They could wait until after graduation, but I don't think coaches can have contact with that player until August camp. If they come in January, they will have spring football with their coaches. Maybe with the 105 cap they could do a rookie summer camp in June where coaches can coach the new players for a week or two so coming in January wouldn't be as necessary. If someone wants to do it, I'd be interested to know the number of different Hawkeyes to see even one down on the field (including special teams) last season. Did it reach close to 105?

With the limit capped at 105, more freshmen will have to come in ready to play. D1 college football does take considerable specialization. They could wait until after graduation, but I don't think coaches can have contact with that player until August camp. If they come in January, they will have spring football with their coaches. Maybe with the 105 cap they could do a rookie summer camp in June where coaches can coach the new players for a week or two so coming in January wouldn't be as necessary. If someone wants to do it, I'd be interested to know the number of different Hawkeyes to see even one down on the field (including special teams) last season. Did it reach close to 105?
Yeah, I would like to know that, too. Good post.

I could be wrong but I think most of the early enrollees we've seen have transferred pretty quickly. You're kinda coming in solo or with just a handful of other guys, not a complete class to bond with. That or they are so gung ho that this early work will get them in the line up and they are uphappy when it doesn't. I get it from a development standpoint but I'm not sure the numbers really point to success.

That’s an interesting take from Ferentz. IIRC, I remember Ferentz saying over the years that he often encouraged players to stay and graduate in May with their class. His reasoning behind it was he didn’t want them to miss out on hs experiences like prom, spring sports etc. since they’ll never get to experience those things again as a hs senior once they graduate.

I could be wrong but I think most of the early enrollees we've seen have transferred pretty quickly. You're kinda coming in solo or with just a handful of other guys, not a complete class to bond with. That or they are so gung ho that this early work will get them in the line up and they are uphappy when it doesn't. I get it from a development standpoint but I'm not sure the numbers really point to success.
It would be interesting to see those results. To be honest I haven’t paid close attention to it.
We do know that with athletic redshirting becoming so prevalent at young ages and more specialized training at an earlier age you see less 17 year olds starting college and players are more ready to contribute earlier in their collegiate career

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT