ADVERTISEMENT

Why couldn't the WNBA be an NIL deal?

thewop

HB Legend
Jun 27, 2002
I understand that the Men's basketball season is at the same time as the NBA season, but that's not true with NBA/WNBA.

How is the Indiana Fever paying a player to represent their brand on the court (Or the Big 3 league) different than State Farm paying a player to represent their brand off of it? Why should that impact college eligibility?

WNBA is just another NIL deal that doesn't interfere with the college season.

giphy.gif

Reactions: hawkedoff
I understand that the Men's basketball season is at the same time as the NBA season, but that's not true with NBA/WNBA.

How is the Indiana Fever paying a player to represent their brand on the court (Or the Big 3 league) different than State Farm paying a player to represent their brand off of it? Why should that impact college eligibility?

I like the thinking. But what is the real benefit for WNBA? They have sort of a monopoly. And not a cash rich one.

Edit: I did not realize you meant have her playing for both. I thought it was more of a sponsorship. But I love that thought!

Last edited:

Are you referring to NCAA eligibility, or contractual restrictions and requirements bargained for and imposed on WNBA players?

Damn, that is one heck of a question to ponder!

The way the NCAA is these days, I wonder if Caitlin could indeed play in the WNBA yet somehow retain collegiate eligibility. She’d have to take classes in the fall, but doubt that’s difficult. Her WNBA stint is unrelated to college, so how could it be held against her for eligibility? She could even play for free with deferred compensation!

Wow, what a terrific question!

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I like the thinking. But what is the real benefit for WNBA? They have sort of a monopoly. And not a cash rich one.
The WNBA’s benefit is keeping Caitlin on the national stage thru her college play, until she has used up all her eligibility, since the college game is so hot right now

It’s a win-win, unless the schedule is too grueling for CC to handle

Are you referring to NCAA eligibility, or contractual restrictions and requirements bargained for and imposed on WNBA players?
Either of them, but NCAA eligibility was my first thought. Unless the WNBA players union (if such thing exists) prohibits it, I don't know why there'd be any non-negotiable restriction there.

Injury insurance is available...

Either of them.
I haven't read the contract, but I assume that the bargained for contract precludes WNBA players playing for college teams. Google says: "Who is eligible for the WNBA Draft? All NCAA players who are turning 22 years old in 2024 can forego any remaining college eligibility and enter the draft. College seniors who have exhausted their eligibility are eligible, as are international players who are turning 20 years old in 2024." That moots the NIL argument, which on its own would be an interesting academic exercise.

Reactions: FranklinHawk

Because the WNBA has a signed UNION CONTRACT with the players union. Geez. Think.

I guess I was totally unaware that the WNBA had different age restrictions for domestic and international players to enter the draft. That seems strange.

Hey, give me a minute!
Sometimes I lose track of who are off topic participants and who just sticks to the sports boards. I can't remember which category you fall under. If you stick the sports boards, it is just an old off topic joke.

Probably because they DON'T have the coin to do it. If they did they would be paying their own way, and paying their players real contracts. Where is the $$ going to come from the NBA?

I somewhat avoid OT, or at least the overly political stuff so 95% of it, but your Ukraine casualty count posts are part of my morning coffee routine...

Either of them, but NCAA eligibility was my first thought. Unless the WNBA players union (if such thing exists) prohibits it, I don't know why there'd be any non-negotiable restriction there.

Injury insurance is available...
What is NCAA eligibility anymore?

Reactions: thewop
Doing a little more of the Google, WNBA players are at least somewhat free to play in the off-season. Half of the league's players played overseas in the off-season this past year.

This post kind of started as a stupid post to stir some conversation, but it seems like if a player wanted to make issue of it they might have some success in making the case.

I know everyone wants to trash the NCAA, but one clear rule is that you can't be a professional athlete in your chosen sport and retain college eligibility. You can sign a pro contract in one sport yet return to school to play a different sport.

I know everyone wants to trash the NCAA, but one clear rule is that you can't be a professional athlete in your chosen sport and retain college eligibility. You can sign a pro contract in one sport yet return to school to play a different sport.
With NIL they may have to redefine "professional." If someone wanted to challenge this in court they may have a case.

Reactions: amahawk
If they prevail, that does nothing to the WNBA's own contract/labor agreement. It's a moot point.
True but this was more of a general "professional" statement than a sport specific one. Technically I'm a pro golfer as I've accepted money in a tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT