ADVERTISEMENT

Why did people "back in the day" look so darn old!?

I'll be 50 next month, but Jean Stapleton and Carroll O'Connor were 44 and 48 (respectively) when All In The Family kicked off. They look like their in their early 60s!

Look at this 1970s group of High School Kids. Good grief!

maZYvgL.png

Did anyone else think that was Molly Shannon right away?
Happy Molly Shannon GIF by Laff

Far more plastic surgery today
Reminds me of when George Friedman told us that capitalism continues to prevail because of its ability to generate new markets through advertising, including new markets for things like vaginal deodorants that we've not needed for the previous 5000 years.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Also, air conditioning. Most people today are not subjected to the elements like people were not too many decades ago. I can remember riding around in a car in early 1970s Miami with no a/c. In the summer, it was as hot in the car as it was outside.

Reactions: desihawk
Also, air conditioning. Most people today are not subjected to the elements like people were not too many decades ago. I can remember riding around in a car in early 1970s Miami with no a/c. In the summer, it was as hot in the car as it was outside.
After having been in Orlando and Clearwater Beach last July, to that I say no thank you.

Reactions: TC Nole OX

I would say exposure to the sun might be a big factor there.
I'll be 50 next month, but Jean Stapleton and Carroll O'Connor were 44 and 48 (respectively) when All In The Family kicked off. They look like their in their early 60s!

MV5BZTRiZjNkZWUtM2IwNC00Y2Y2LTg0ODUtYThkOGIzM2FkZmRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Look at this 1970s group of High School Kids. Good grief!

maZYvgL.png

I think the high schoolers might in part be because of the conservative dress.

Sugar (real cane stuff) and lard.

I doubt it's food. I really don't think that they ate less healthy then we do now, odds are the opposite.

Sun exposure I think is the biggest thing but you also have factors that the hair styles and clothes are things we mentally associate with older people.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
Sometimes I think people look older in past decades because of hairstyles, make-up and clothing that today we associate with being old and old fashioned. I also agree that a lot of it was due to sun exposure and smoking.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
I don't remember my mother or other mothers putting on as much makeup back then either.
You were who you were, not who you wanted to emulate vanity wise.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT