ADVERTISEMENT

Why do people believe what they believe?

mthawkeyes

HR Heisman
Mar 22, 2007
Fourmile Creek
Quinnipiac

Thirty-five percent of voters describe the state of the nation's economy these days as either excellent (6 percent) or good (29 percent), while 65 percent describe it as either not so good (28 percent) or poor (37 percent).

Nearly half of voters (47 percent) think the nation's economy is getting worse, 28 percent think it's staying about the same, and 23 percent think it's getting better.

A majority of voters (61 percent) describe their personal financial situation these days as either excellent (9 percent) or good (52 percent), while 38 percent describe it as either not so good (25 percent) or poor (13 percent).

A solid majority of people say that they are doing well economically, but a larger majority believes the economy is performing poorly, with nearly half saying that it's getting worse.

This is similar to perceptions of public schools, with majorities believing the public schools in general are doing poorly, but their local school is doing well.

I guess it's not too difficult to convince people not to believe their own experience and swallow a different narrative.

Quinnipiac

A solid majority of people say that they are doing well economically, but a larger majority believes the economy is performing poorly, with nearly half saying that it's getting worse.

This is similar to perceptions of public schools, with majorities believing the public schools in general are doing poorly, but their local school is doing well.

I guess it's not too difficult to convince people not to believe their own experience and swallow a different narrative.
It's ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: NoWokeBloke
Quinnipiac

And basically half are struggling. Pretty solid.. So we are good?

Because they go shopping. Because they have to buy groceries and gas and cell phone plans and cable and insurance. Most people are likely making more than they ever have in their lives and it still sucks to pay your bills. No matter what the 33% of people that would back anything with a D without thought or care try to sell.

I believe the socially acceptable way to answer why you believe what you believe is:

My bias is a result of my own unique lived experience.

Both things can be true. The economy can be hot and unemployment can be down and the average joe can still be doing worse.
But we decided 20-30 years ago that what really mattered in the US was keeping shareholders well paid. Income inequality is just another wonderful feature of deregulation.

Quinnipiac

Might have something to do with inflation over the last 4 years….

Because they go shopping. Because they have to buy groceries and gas and cell phone plans and cable and insurance. Most people are likely making more than they ever have in their lives and it still sucks to pay your bills.
Then those folks need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps and work more. It's not a difficult concept.

Sheesh, everyone nowadays is just looking for a handout. There ain't nothin a little hard work can't fix.

I'm doing...

Frosted Flakes Swerk GIF

Somewhere, somehow, somebody must have kicked them around some. Who knows, maybe they were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Doesn't really matter to me. Everybody's got to fight to be free...
Lol that was just playing at work 3 minutes ago. Weird.

Basically, belief is the sum of their experience and their faith (and by that i don't mean religious faith).

perhaps people's experience is varied.

Because they go shopping. Because they have to buy groceries and gas and cell phone plans and cable and insurance. Most people are likely making more than they ever have in their lives and it still sucks to pay your bills. No matter what the 33% of people that would back anything with a D without thought or care try to sell.

And you can thank corporate greed for most of that

Reactions: mattymoknows
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT