ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't BIG 10 let Clemson in your conference ?

Could be a possibility in the future? Same with Washington State, Oregon State, Notre Dame, etc. I think we'll eventually get 2 Super Conferences.

If they are not an AAU member university, then most likely not.
This is likely a major barrier. Clemson is a solid undergraduate institution, but with no law school, no medical school and an endowment of <$1B, they have no chance of joining the AAU and have very little to add to the B1G Academic Alliance; and it’s up to the university presidents, not the AD’s.

BIG 12with Notre Dame and FSU
Two teams is all that is needed for the Big 10 at this time to go to 20 total teams. Then divide the league into 2 10 team divisions or 4 five team divisions which would give us two Big Ten Champ semifinal playoffs games. Four divisions give more teams a chance for the conference playoffs and more chance deeper into the season.

With an 18 team league and no divisions quite a few teams will be out of contention in the first 2 weeks of league play by going 0-2. In a five team division an early 0-2 record is not knocking you out of a division title, especially if the team was losing to big boy teams.

Absolute zero chance of OrSU or WSU. Zero none none.

images

Ranking schools by highest non-zero chance of joining B1G:

UNC
FSU
Clemson
* huge drop *
Virginia
Utah
Colorado
* huge huge drop *
Notre Dame (they'll never join a conference and the CFP will always include teams outside the Power-2)

Everyone else: no chance

Last edited:

UNC
FSU
Clemson
* huge drop *
Virginia
Utah
Colorado
* huge huge drop *
Notre Dame (they'll never join a conference and the CFP will always include teams outside the Power-2)

But they will never get higher than a #5 seed (and no bye) in the CFP with the current format, which I think will be around for a long time. The first time they have a top 4 season, it won't go over well with their fan base.

Reactions: HawkAlum2002

UNC
FSU
Clemson
* huge drop *
Virginia
Utah
Colorado
* huge huge drop *

UNC and Virginia are at the very top of the list for the next round of expansion.

ND will always have a standing offer.

Next in line would be AAU schools, of which FSU is working frantically to become and would be a target.

Throw in Miami, Cal, and Stanford (maybe even Duke) as those who would be considered ahead Clemson.

*Also, it's rumored that TAMU is looking to extricate itself from the SEC due to their loathed rivals joining this year...and they've approached the B1G to check it's interest.

The SEC does not need to add FB power houses. The current members don't want anymore, which is the reason why, according to Brett McMurphy, talks with Clemson and FSU have cooled. God knows they already have the largest line up FB giants, and it's not even close. If Sankey does - as is being reported - want to ramp up his BB, then the persistent rumors of the additions of the national brands, North Carolina and Kansas, could happen. Two new states, flagship programs, both AAU. BB is about to take a significant percentage increase in the overall TV media package, especially when the NCAA is dropped from March Madness.
The SEC would then have a line up of Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, with Calipari now at Arkansas with an unbelievable NIL war chest, Texas always solid, and Alabama ,Tennessee and Auburn coming on fast with their BB programs. Sankey will have the unquestionably dominant conference in both FB and BB, while maintaining a solid geographic block. Sankey has stated to the Athletic Directors of the SEC, that they can no longer go to sleep after January. They need more than only 6 or 7 Saturdays at home in the fall, and baseball will not cut it, even in the South. Could FSU and Clemson join the Big 12? Yormark would probably have to award them a special financial package, but it could happen. The ill will Clemson and FSU, and to a lesser degree UNC, have created in the ACC is...strong,

I remember the good ol' days when they said the same thing about USC and Oregon. Good times.
The reasons for not believing USC and Oregon would end up in the B1G are significantly different than the reason WAZZU annd Oregon St. would get in.

Jessica Alba and I will likely never end up together. The reasons for each of us are not mutual reasons.

If Jessica decides she wants to date, I think I can make it happen. If the ask is the other way around, the chances drop.

I think WAZZU and OrSU can probably feel my pain. I mean, the Big XII isn’t even interesting in them.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
UNC and Virginia are at the very top of the list for the next round of expansion.

Next in line would be AAU schools, of which FSU is working frantically to become and would be a target.

Throw in Miami, Cal, and Stanford (maybe even Duke) as those who would be considered ahead Clemson.

*Also, it's rumored that TAMU is looking to extricate itself from the SEC due to their loathed rivals joining this year...and they've approached the B1G to check it's interest.
I don't believe Cal ever gets an invite - fan support is brutal. They don't add anything to the BIG. Stanford would be the priority and even they struggle to move the needle. I believe the reason we'd add a 5th team out West is for scheduling. 5 teams works best for football. It would allow for a pod system of 5 teams each and 9-game football schedules. (you play your own pod and one other each season). No unbalanced schedules that way.

I don't believe Cal ever gets an invite - fan support is brutal. They don't add anything to the BIG. Stanford would be the priority and even they struggle to move the needle. I believe the reason we'd add a 5th team out West is for scheduling. 5 teams works best for football. It would allow for a pod system of 5 teams each and 9-game football schedules. (you play your own pod and one other each season). No unbalanced schedules that way.
Decent point, BUT Stanford-Cal rivalry connects them and each team out west needs a travel partner from what I’ve been told. Btw, not saying I’m for adding either one.

Decent point, BUT Stanford-Cal rivalry connects them and each team out west needs a travel partner from what I’ve been told. Btw, not saying I’m for adding either one.
I'm not really a fan of adding either. I assume the university presidents would be big fans, though. If 20 is the goal - it makes sense to add Stanford and of course the BIG's dream school ND. But I don't believe ND will ever want to join - they enjoy too much power/influence as an independent. Plus, they seen how Nebraska and PSU have not been nearly as succussful in the BIG as they were in the past.

If they add more than 20, than I assume we'll focus on the ACC schools and maybe A&M. Adding the states of North Carolina, Florida, and Texas would be huge wins from a TV and recruiting perspective.

The B1G definitely needs to more than just dip a toe in the South. There's just not enough talent in the current footprint to realistically compete with the SEC in the money sports. They're going to have to raid the ACC, and quickly, if they don't want to be an even more-distant second place. If the B1G is going to expand, just make it 24 and get it over with already.

FSU, Virginia, and UNC should be the top 3 targets. Then choose 3 from the following pool: NC State, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Miami, and Florida (yes, I'm fully aware UF is an SEC institution, but even with increasingly smaller shares, Florida could still potentially make more money in the B1G than the SEC).

The B1G definitely needs to more than just dip a toe in the South. There's just not enough talent in the current footprint to realistically compete with the SEC in the money sports. They're going to have to raid the ACC, and quickly, if they don't want to be an even more-distant second place. If the B1G is going to expand, just make it 24 and get it over with already.

FSU, Virginia, and UNC should be the top 3 targets. Then choose 3 from the following pool: NC State, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Miami, and Florida (yes, I'm fully aware UF is an SEC institution, but even with increasingly smaller shares, Florida could still potentially make more money in the B1G than the SEC).
Highly doubtful that any SEC school would leave for the Big 10. The SEC is simply too exciting for the fan bases to leave for the Big 10, no matter how much more money...and it isn't that much more. Plus, they are so geographically tight compared to the Big 10. The ACC schools - that can't get into the SEC - is a different conversation.

NCSU, VTech and GTech have no shot. Look at all the B1G/SEC moves over the last 30 years. They are all state flagships, with the exceptions of the second bananas in two giant states: TAMU and UCLA.

The addition of NCSU and VTech to a conference doesn't make more football recruits to Iowa or Purdue. Iowa and Purdue in the Power2 while VTech and NCSU languish in the Middle-2 is a recruiting differentiator.

Wow, had not heard that about TAMU, I am a fan as my kid goes there. I would be surprised as the B1G seems to have migrated further and further left politically. It would absolutely bring an entirely new market and excellent academics.

Florida State is outstanding academically, surprised they are not AAU.

Virginia brings little to none athletically but is a fine school.

They also bring a fresh media market and excellent recruiting grounds.

On top of that, they have a very solid MBB program and rank in the Top 50 of combined CFB/MBB wins the past ten years…

Tony Bennett has done better than I thought. Their football program is marginal though. But I was a bit too harsh in my comment.

As others have said it's an AAU issue. Every program in the B1G is a member except Nebraska, but they were in it when they joined. Look at the Academic Coalition and the dollars that are pumped into B1G programs, it dwarfs anything athletics provide.

Florida State has been pushing hard the last ten years to get AAU status. They just recently got beat out by USF, a far younger institution in the state. USF invested in their academics while their sports programs took a dive. One of the big reasons UCF overtook them in football.

Clemson is known for what? Take a look at the US and World rankings of public institutions. You'll see why Clemson won't be getting an invite to the B1G most likely.

As others have said it's an AAU issue. Every program in the B1G is a member except Nebraska, but they were in it when they joined. Look at the Academic Coalition and the dollars that are pumped into B1G programs, it dwarfs anything athletics provide.

Florida State has been pushing hard the last ten years to get AAU status. They just recently got beat out by USF, a far younger institution in the state. USF invested in their academics while their sports programs took a dive. One of the big reasons UCF overtook them in football.

Clemson is known for what? Take a look at the US and World rankings of public institutions. You'll see why Clemson won't be getting an invite to the B1G most likely.
AAU is clearly a key factor in the decision-making of the Big 10 presidents. With that in mind, here are the remaining power-4 conference schools that are AAU:

Duke
A&M
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Vanderbilt
Colorado
Arizona
Florida
Utah
Kansas
North Carolina
Texas
Mizzou
Notre Dame
Pitt
Arizona State
Cal
Stanford
Miami

(I know not all of these schools are realistic/potential targets - just posting for informational purposes)

UNC
FSU
Clemson
* huge drop *
Virginia
Utah
Colorado
* huge huge drop *

I think you are right. You think a Miami is SEC bound only?

They also bring a fresh media market and excellent recruiting grounds.

On top of that, they have a very solid MBB program and rank in the Top 50 of combined CFB/MBB wins the past ten years…

This is where the Iowa State and Nebraska people chime in about Iowa's schedule being weak, yet those two teams play us every year and get their ass kicked and contribute to the "weak" schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT