ADVERTISEMENT

Why has CC never developed a short to mid-range game?

Wango Z Tango

Team MVP
Dec 31, 2004
Chicago
I know it's not the most popular part of today's game men or women and maybe CC never had to what with the three's falling from the sky.

But she has stated that is where she started, short shots getting her form down etc. then moving back.

And perhaps she is not physically gifted enough to pull those shots off.

Seems like a part of her game that is wasted.

I know it's not the most popular part of today's game men or women and maybe CC never had to what with the three's falling from the sky.

But she has stated that is where she started, short shots getting her form down etc. then moving back.

Bluder has never rly liked the mid-range, outside of mid-range Js for some of her Forwards. Her strategy usually entails forcing other teams to shoot long 2s and avoiding them for her own team. Clark wasn't the only one who doesn't get to shoot it -- Affolter can shoot decently well from the mid-range, so can Edigar and O'Grady (who does get to but often missed this year). It was interesting to me that Lucy Olsen gravitated to Iowa so quickly considering she has such a great mid-range game -- I would guess the system will change next year to accommodate her talents (we'll have plenty of shooters anyway, so I hope so).

Never had to in college and it's really not a part of the system she was in.

Adding a major piece to your game is what you develop in the off season. You can drill it a bit, but it's not wise to make drastic changes mid season. She'll come back next year with a more complete toolkit.

She may show flashes of it this year as they get more practice time, but it won't be fine tuned. It would be a nice weapon for her as it will force help to come up so they can't lane camp.

Basketball is hard, these things take time and thousands of reps.

At Iowa Clark could get to the rim all day with her speed or hesitation move and that layup is a 95% conversion rate vs 45-50 for a mid range shot. It is just a numbers thing.

Now in the Wnba there are more athletic opponents and tall opponents so she should be looking for the 10-15 footers.

But the fever just seem to play their guards at the arc and one or two low post players. Hell that last game against NY Lib is the first game I watched a lot of because I was at my son's house and it looked like very little motion offense as CC was left standing in the corner behind the arc on most sets.

There was a lot of one on one dribbling, a few screens, but no weaves etc.

The Liberty had a good plan so that as soon as CC got the ball somebody , anybody jumped out at her.

Because 3 points, as Lisa Bluder and most every other basketball coach in the world knows, is more than 2 points. And that's why you don't see much of anyone, male or female, college or pro, shooting midrange shots except when forced into it.

The Fever has all kinds of problems. The lack of a midrange game from CC is at the bottom of the list. They need to step out to catch a pass, actually have soft enough hands to catch it when they do step out, make lay-ups and two-footers and wide open threes, block out, move intelligently without the ball, swing the ball from side to side, and maybe get CC more than 1 or 2 shots per quarter. And on defense it might not hurt to guard someone once in a while.

If the Fever would start making wide open shots, opponents would have to stop double and triple teaming CC. That might help a little too.

Oh, and the league giving the Fever time to breathe (and practice) could be a good thing too. This league is more poorly run, on virtually every level, than any sports league I've come across, from rec leagues on up. It clearly wasn't close to being ready for the spotlight CC, and she alone, has brought to it.

BTW: Tell me more about how great Boston is. I still haven't seen it. And another thing I haven't seen is CC's teammates having her back. When that Carter thug clobbered Caitlin, the Fever should have been all over Carter. But I didn't see much of a reaction at all. If Connor is attending these games, I don't know how he's restraining himself, to be honest. After all, CC has been the victim of assault and battery in virtually every game this season. To sit and watch that has to be nearly impossible.

BTW2: Here's a legal definition of assault and battery:
* Assault: "an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another."
* Battery: “any willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another.”

Carter was guilty of both, and several other players have been as well, including Angel Reese. You might notice there is no exception to these laws for participation in an athletic contest. There have been cases where players have been charged with crimes like these due to their actions on the field of play, so it's definitely not unprecedented. Look it up.

Last edited:

mid range jumpers are the worst shot in basketball. They should only take shots like that when shot clock is running down. Today it's layups or three pointers. If I was coaching I wouldn't allow players to shoot outside the paint, unless it's a 3. It's percentages/analytics.

At Iowa Clark could get to the rim all day with her speed or hesitation move and that layup is a 95% conversion rate vs 45-50 for a mid range shot. It is just a numbers thing.

Now in the Wnba there are more athletic opponents and tall opponents so she should be looking for the 10-15 footers.

But the fever just seem to play their guards at the arc and one or two low post players. Hell that last game against NY Lib is the first game I watched a lot of because I was at my son's house and it looked like very little motion offense as CC was left standing in the corner behind the arc on most sets.

The Liberty had a good plan so that as soon as CC got the ball somebody , anybody jumped out at her.
Yes. Sides' complete inability to get an offense that takes advantage of what Clark is good at is a common topic on here. Then again, they have to completely overhaul the offense and they will need more than 2 weeks of practice to do something like that. They just haven't had time to do any serious changes to it. Now that they finally have some downtime maybe they can change some things to put people in a better position to succeed. I'm not convinced Sides knows what she is doing enough to do this, but the next couple of months will probably determine whether Sides is coach for the Fever again next season or not.

mid range jumpers are the worst shot in basketball. They should only take shots like that when shot clock is running down. Today it's layups or three pointers. If I was coaching I wouldn't allow players to shoot outside the paint, unless it's a 3. It's percentages/analytics.
It is, but they can keep the defense honest. Being able to pull up for the 10 foot jumper will keep the bigs from just camping underneath the basket and open up some space down there. But it shouldn't be a focus of the offense, for sure.

Because 3 points, as Lisa Bluder and most every other basketball coach in the world knows, is more than 2 points. And that's why you don't see much of anyone, male or female, college or pro, shooting midrange shots except when forced into it.

The Fever has all kinds of problems. The lack of a midrange game from CC is at the bottom of the list. They need to step out to catch a pass, actually have soft enough hands to catch it when they do step out, make lay-ups and two-footers and wide open threes, block out, move intelligently without the ball, swing the ball from side to side, and maybe get CC more than 1 or 2 shots per quarter. And on defense it might not hurt to guard someone once in a while.

If the Fever would start making wide open shots, opponents would have to stop double and triple teaming CC. That might help a little too.

Oh, and the league giving the Fever time to breathe (and practice) could be a good thing too. This league is more poorly run, on virtually every level, than any sports league I've come across, from rec leagues on up. It clearly wasn't close to being ready for the spotlight CC, and she alone, has brought to it.

BTW: Tell me more about how great Boston is. I still haven't seen it. And another thing I haven't seen is CC's teammates having her back. When that Carter thug clobbered Caitlin, the Fever should have been all over Carter. But I didn't see much of a reaction at all. If Connor is attending these games, I don't know how he's restraining himself, to be honest. After all, CC has been the victim of assault and battery in virtually every game this season. To sit and watch that has to be nearly impossible.

* Assault: "an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another."
* Battery: “any willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another.”

Carter was guilty of both, and several other players have been as well, including Angel Reese. You might notice there is no exception to these laws for participation in an athletic contest. There have been cases where players have been charged with crimes like these due to their actions on the field of play, so it's definitely not unprecedented. Look it up.
it's poorly run because it's not a real business venture. It's a subsidized entity.

The best shot in basketball is the one that goes in no matter where on the court

I think most people have forgotten now, but Clark actually shot a decent amount in the midrange as a Freshman. Here's an article from late December 2020 discussing it. She was shooting 59% on those shots at the time.

As others have mentioned, she got away from shooting those shots throughout her career because they normally aren't as efficient and Coach Bluder didn't prefer them. I'd like to see her start taking some again, but not too many. Just have it as an option to keep defenders off-balance.

Floaters or shots in close are a different matter. She never needed that shot in college, and in interviews in the W she's said when she gets to that point she instinctively looks to pass instead of shoot. Hitting more of those open floaters would do wonders to unlock her offense right now.

did she ever really need a mid game?
She does need to be able to hit the floater in the lane. She is having more difficulty getting all the way to the basket but the floater or pull up in the lane will always be there and she needs to be able to take advantage of it. She really seems hesitant to shoot that shot currently.

On par with the majority of players these days, it's at the rim or a 3.

A pull up from the elbow is a good weapon to have in your arsenal.

MAIN_A_CAITLINE-SHOOTING-MAP_v2_FEB14.gif

Avg Pts per attempt
1.2 - per 3pt
0.9 - per midrange
1.3 - per layup

Last edited:

Carter is indeed a thug and her non-appoligetic incoherent responses since the incident only confirms it. The only thing worse than a thug is a dumb thug!

Reactions: amahawk
I doubt that Fran will be telling Josh Dix to stop shooting mid-range shots any time soon.

Without Kate's pull-up jumper Iowa loses to UConn in the F4 game, so I'm not sure why people say it isn't, or wasn't, a necessary club in the bag for Clark. She needs to convert those opportunities to elevate her game, especially when her 3pt. shooting is as broken as it seems to be.

*I expect a lot of those shots from Lucy Olsen next season, and I don't think anyone will complain about the points it adds to the total.

Reactions: amahawk

And the fever screens were half ass attempts

I think most people have forgotten now, but Clark actually shot a decent amount in the midrange as a Freshman. Here's an article from late December 2020 discussing it. She was shooting 59% on those shots at the time.

As others have mentioned, she got away from shooting those shots throughout her career because they normally aren't as efficient and Coach Bluder didn't prefer them. I'd like to see her start taking some again, but not too many. Just have it as an option to keep defenders off-balance.

Floaters or shots in close are a different matter. She never needed that shot in college, and in interviews in the W she's said when she gets to that point she instinctively looks to pass instead of shoot. Hitting more of those open floaters would do wonders to unlock her offense right now.

Than k you for this. I’ve said it 100 times on here but no one listens. I’m actually a fan of the mid rage game per se however I will point out some thing that had occurred to me until the last year or so 50 out of 100 from two point range is 100 points whereas 35 out of 100 from 3 is 105.

Pretty hard to argue with the math

Than k you for this. I’ve said it 100 times on here but no one listens. I’m actually a fan of the mid rage game per se however I will point out some thing that had occurred to me until the last year or so 50 out of 100 from two point range is 100 points whereas 35 out of 100 from 3 is 105.

Pretty hard to argue with the math

Youi only recently learned shooting 33.3% from 3 was the same as 50% from 2? Just joking with you. First of all Grace Berger burned Iowa time after time the past couple of years with the short jumper. I also think if CC would pull up the lane, she would get less shots blocked than going for the layup, and also open up the option to dish off without turnovers if the defense respected the short jumper and had to come out on her a little more.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Probably half her turnovers are when she drives the lane and gets down to far and trapped and throws it away. She will get better at finishing around the rim, she’s only 160 lbs right now. Give her a complete off season to add 7-10 lbs of muscle, and then the needed floater. I think when I say midrange I mean floater, 5-7 foot shot after she has her defender beat. Problem now is she’s doing it then running into 6-6 Centers that she can’t finish over. Dropped 30 last night. I have no doubt she will continue to add to her arsenal.

Kate made a nice drive, stop, turn around shot in the lane last night, like a few she made at Iowa last season. CC should do that too.

Her mid-range game will be just fine.
Eventually but right now when she gets into the middle of the lane she isn’t getting open shots off. Clearly not comfortable with this yet. If she gets a floater she will be unguardable.

Probably half her turnovers are when she drives the lane and gets down to far and trapped and throws it away. She will get better at finishing around the rim, she’s only 160 lbs right now. Give her a complete off season to add 7-10 lbs of muscle, and then the needed floater. I think when I say midrange I mean floater, 5-7 foot shot after she has her defender beat. Problem now is she’s doing it then running into 6-6 Centers that she can’t finish over. Dropped 30 last night. I have no doubt she will continue to add to her arsenal.
Totally agree.

Eventually but right now when she gets into the middle of the lane she isn’t getting open shots off. Clearly not comfortable with this yet. If she gets a floater she will be unguardable.
I'm sure she does but has never had to use it regularly.
She'll be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT