ADVERTISEMENT

Why is America so divided?

That was very enjoyable. Thanks.

Naturally, I disagree with his conclusions. Also, it doesn't help that he seems to use the word "athwart" in both it's main meanings, and that's a bit confusing.

I was a little surprised - and this is where I would question him if I were in the audience and there was a Q&A session - that he points out that Marx and Foucault both aim toward violence against the system. I would have said that they agree on the existence of oppressors and the oppressed in society, and they want to end that.

That's a very important distinction, I think, because if you conclude that Marx and Foucault are advocates of violence, then it's easy to reject them as bad guys. Whereas if you see them as opposing oppression, then you are likely to come to the opposite conclusion, even if violence may be necessary to effect change.
Violence is perhaps a strong word. I’d say perhaps “confrontation”.

I do get that at least in the case of Marx there was at least some Hegelian element that it would all happen naturally (particularly as the technology of the industrial revolution took hold). Indeed it was the russkies who probably grafted on most of the violence.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCainer
I hope some others will watch this and comment.
Right? Bring a little culture to this place.

But query: on a scale of 0-10 where are you on the unifying thesis that the root cause is modern atomistic selfishness having taken hold at an increasingly molecular level.

Last edited:
I heard famed historian Doris Kearns Goodwin say that America hasn't been this divided since the Civil War. That makes sense to me. Americans don't really agree on anything. It's almost like two different countries.

It's very pronounced.

What's the reason for this? Social media? Trump?
Look at the people we have in Congress. They don’t even respect one another,

Right? Bring a little culture to this place.

But query: on a scale of 0-10 where are you on the unifying thesis that the root cause is modern atomistic selfishness having taken hold at an increasingly molecular level.
I don't think that was his point. And of the 4 philosophers he discusses, only Nietzche can be said to endorse that view, imo.

You know who else endorses that view? Ayn Rand. And her many followers. And capitalism, in general.

So, to the extent that you are correct in assigning blame to "modern atomistic selfishness" - and I would agree that that is part of the problem - part of the remedy may be found in the views of Marx and Foucault.

Oh, to answer your rating question, I'd give it a 4. Less than I'd give the abomination that passes for Evangelical Christianity. Less than I'd give the current Republican party or the right wing media. And those are just speaking about America. And, yeah, that adds up to more than 10, but I'm a relative value kind of guy.

Reactions: Ree4
I don't think that was his point. And of the 4 philosophers he discusses, only Nietzche can be said to endorse that view, imo.

You know who else endorses that view? Ayn Rand. And her many followers. And capitalism, in general.

So, to the extent that you are correct in assigning blame to "modern atomistic selfishness" - and I would agree that that is part of the problem - part of the remedy may be found in the views of Marx and Foucault.

Oh, to answer your rating question, I'd give it a 4. Less than I'd give the abomination that passes for Evangelical Christianity. Less than I'd give the current Republican party or the right wing media. And those are just speaking about America. And, yeah, that adds up to more than 10, but I'm a relative value kind of guy.
rand is a clown show.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I heard famed historian Doris Kearns Goodwin say that America hasn't been this divided since the Civil War. That makes sense to me. Americans don't really agree on anything. It's almost like two different countries.

It's very pronounced.

What's the reason for this? Social media? Trump?
The president keeps canceling student loan debt yet hasn’t paid off my mortgage.

I took a loan out to better myself just like they did. Both are intended to be paid off by the borrower.

Last edited:
Media and social media.

Social media fans the flames for sure (big time) but this division has existed back to the 90s at least.

rush-limbaugh-1991.gif

The president keeps canceling student loan debt yet hasn’t paid off my mortgage.

I took a loan out to better myself just like they did. Both are intended to be paid off by the borrower.
There are better ways to handle oppressive student loans. But Congress won't do them. Which leaves a President the choice between kicking the can down the road or using the tools he has in the presidential toolbox.

Biden gets points for trying.

Reactions: Ree4 and TC Nole OX
There are better ways to handle oppressive student loans. But Congress won't do them. Which leaves a President the choice between kicking the can down the road or using the tools he has in the presidential toolbox.

Biden gets points for trying.
Oh I get that he gets points for trying. I’d pretty much vote for anyone if they paid off my mortgage and I didn’t have to have any debt in my life.

Could you imagine how great life would be if you didn’t have to pay back loans.

Oh I get that he gets points for trying. I’d pretty much vote for anyone if they paid off my mortgage and I didn’t have to have any debt in my life.

Could you imagine how great life would be if you didn’t have to pay back loans.
A good Caesar knows how to control appeal to the mob.

gladiator kill GIF

Social media fans the flames for sure (big time) but this division has existed back to the 90s at least.

rush-limbaugh-1991.gif

Yep, Murdoch and Limbaugh. We can thank Ronald Reagan for those two and the destruction they heaped upon this country

Reactions: TheCainer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT