ADVERTISEMENT

One Interesting American behavior

Breastman

All-Conference
Feb 4, 2003
Curious to get some opinions.....

I lived overseas for a number of years and have noticed one interesting thing since repatriating.

Why do so many Americans routinely take shots at so many other parts of the country? On one hand, Americans consistently boast their perceived status as the 'greatest country in the world' but then turn around and bash someone for being from Florida or Detroit or Arkansas or the East Coast or the West Coast, etc. etc. Obviously, the size of the country plays a factor but it's pretty bad.

I can honestly say I never once heard anyone in Australia, Japan, Italy, New Zealand, Thailand and so many other places say anything negative about people in other parts of the country. In fact, people often spoke with great pride about different parts of the country. "You should really visit Chiang Mai. The festivals are amazing and the scenery is wonderful". "Definitely take time to visit Wakayama and Kobe while you're in Osaka. You'll really enjoy it and the food is terrific."

Visit America.......'What the hell are visiting Oklahoma for? There's nothing to see and people are backwards hillbillies". "Don't waste your time in California. It's way over-priced and the people are a-holes". Etc. Etc.

The only time I've noticed this abroad is the South Vietnamese talking about the North and the Canadians commenting on Quebec.

I don't know.....it just always gets my attention. I love America and the diversity of the place. An incredible country. Just don't understand all the bashing.

I hear what you’re saying. However, if someone from out of the country told me they might spend valuable vacation days visiting Oklahoma, I’d have a similar reaction.

Same for many other states. Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa (sorry), Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, etc…

I hear what you’re saying. However, if someone from out of the country told me they might spend valuable vacation days visiting Oklahoma, I’d have a similar reaction.

Same for many other states. Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa (sorry), Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, etc…
The locals all have the same reactions when reading the prices of Mississippi River Cruises. A lot of it is familiarity breeds contempt. The other part is we are kinda tribal about our regions. It’s how we separate our sports teams and entertainment choices often.

Because the US is 50 countries trying to get a long. Most developing nations don’t have the similar type regionalism because you are usually dealing with one or two main population centers.

Prob some subconscious response to having patriotism drilled into our heads from a young age. Once we don't have villains, we have to make them up.

I lived overseas for a number of years and have noticed one interesting thing since repatriating.

Why do so many Americans routinely take shots at so many other parts of the country? On one hand, Americans consistently boast their perceived status as the 'greatest country in the world' but then turn around and bash someone for being from Florida or Detroit or Arkansas or the East Coast or the West Coast, etc. etc. Obviously, the size of the country plays a factor but it's pretty bad.

I can honestly say I never once heard anyone in Australia, Japan, Italy, New Zealand, Thailand and so many other places say anything negative about people in other parts of the country. In fact, people often spoke with great pride about different parts of the country. "You should really visit Chiang Mai. The festivals are amazing and the scenery is wonderful". "Definitely take time to visit Wakayama and Kobe while you're in Osaka. You'll really enjoy it and the food is terrific."

Visit America.......'What the hell are visiting Oklahoma for? There's nothing to see and people are backwards hillbillies". "Don't waste your time in California. It's way over-priced and the people are a-holes". Etc. Etc.

The only time I've noticed this abroad is the South Vietnamese talking about the North and the Canadians commenting on Quebec.

I don't know.....it just always gets my attention. I love America and the diversity of the place. An incredible country. Just don't understand all the bashing.
I think my favorite is when Eastern Iowan's look down on western Iowans.

E8oYDF6WUAEpMbD.jpg:large

Because the US is 50 countries trying to get a long. Most developing nations don’t have the similar type regionalism because you are usually dealing with one or two main population centers.

I'm sure the vastness of the US also plays into it. Of the countries OP provided, Australia is only one that wouldn't fit into the state of Texas.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
A lot of people think that a good conversation consists of being critical of everything the other party has to say. Rather than show interest, or even pay attention, they criticize.

It has nothing to do with geography.

and by the way, it amazes me how many folks from Switzerland come all the way to Las Vegas to mount an investigation of the Grand Canyon. Entire families rent RV's and off they go!

The highest mountains to the deepest canyons!! I get a kick out of it. since the Grand Canyon is so "Every-day" to all of us. ... and yet, they are full of amazement!

It’s a different level of perception; country vs. country as opposed to state vs state.

A lot of people think that a good conversation consists of being critical of everything the other party has to say. Rather than show interest, or even pay attention, they criticize.

and by the way, it amazes me how many folks from Switzerland come all the way to Las Vegas to mount an investigation of the Grand Canyon. Entire families rent RV's and off they go!

The highest mountains to the deepest canyons!! I get a kick out of it. since the Grand Canyon is so "Every-day" to all of us. ... and yet, they are full of amazement!
The grand canyon is 'every-day' to you?
Have you been there?

Meh, I've heard similar things from Australians about West Australia. Same thing in Germany... Southerners don't tend to think highly of the northerners... and I'm guessing vice versa.

Don't be. Iowa's an undesirable place to live, and even more undesirable to visit.

And I'm not sure why you included Texas - it's definitely not like the other, largely forgettable states you listed. It's a huge-ass state where there's literally something for everybody there. If you can't find it, you're probably not trying.

Reactions: goldmom

I’m pretty sure most Americans are amazed by the Grand Canyon. Interesting take here. FWIW, I was in Yosemite last summer. I wouldn’t even be able to tell you how many different languages we heard while there.

I donno, when we lived in Redding, CA I would drive out of the development each morning, come around the curve and there was Mt Shasta lit up by the rising sun. Was always spectacular.
The scenery's great, but the tourist part (and extra traffic) suck. I'm sure more than a few locals feel some resentment.

Don't be. Iowa's an undesirable place to live, and even more undesirable to visit.

And I'm not sure why you included Texas - it's definitely not like the other, largely forgettable states you listed. It's a huge-ass state where there's literally something for everybody there. If you can't find it, you're probably not trying.
I’m really referring to traveling to Texas for vacation- I can’t think of anything in Texas that you couldn’t find better elsewhere in the country.

I’m pretty sure most Americans are amazed by the Grand Canyon. Interesting take here. FWIW, I was in Yosemite last summer. I wouldn’t even be able to tell you how many different languages we heard while there.
I’ve seen fantastic scenery inside and outside the US. Have lived in the West for almost 30 years.

I found the Grand Canyon mesmerizing. It was everything I thought it would be. Nothing “every day” about it.

I’ve seen fantastic scenery inside and outside the US. Have lived in the West for almost 30 years.

I found the Grand Canyon mesmerizing. It was everything I thought it would be. Nothing “every day” about it.
Nature isn’t my thing. It was just alright for me. Maybe it was the long trip in the car squeezed in between 2 older sisters. Enjoyed Sedona more than the Grand Canyon FTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Titus Andronicus
I'm sure there is some element of truth to this, but, as mentioned by others, we are a large country that was settled over 200+ years by people from other nations, generally in specific areas. Plus the North vs South thing, and the East vs West thing, and all the different religions and stuff. It's amazing we've held it together as long as we have. Smaller European nations, or homogeneous Asian nations don't have this issue so much. I'd bet Russia does. I think India has a bit of a North vs South divide, and religious divides. China is vast and has fractures.

Germans in what was West Germany bag on “Ossi’s” all time.

Bavarians think the rest of the country are rubes.

Reactions: Bierhalter
The USA is like a family. We may talk shite about each other (state to state) but if an outsider does it, it's fight time.
Yeah, if someone wants to bring us together, attack us. Political affiliation goes out the window when a foreign country starts killing Americans. Hell, I am pretty liberal, but if some foreign country assassinated President Trump I would have been posting demanding serious retaliation. I hate the guy with a passion but if Iran, for example, had him killed I would have wanted them ended.

Most countries aren’t big enough to truly have the regionalization that we have in the US. China and Australia are big enough. And I’d guess that they both have some of this too.

Interesting unrelated note. I was visiting Mount Vernon today and of the 15 other people on our group doing the mansion tour, half of them were foreigners. Walking around the grounds there were many people from various countries speaking languages other than English. 225 years after George Washington died, foreigners still come to visit his house. USA #1.

No offense, but Texas was pretty underwhelming every time I’ve visited. Plus I don’t care for the residents in general.

Reactions: StallmanCurse

Our foreign exchange student would cry every single day and at the time I always wondered why.

Imagine being from Tokyo and you have to spend a whole year in population 1600 NW Iowa. I'd f*ckin cry too.

You lived in Italy and think nobody in the north thinks they are better than the south? Catalonia and the rest on Spain are friendly? Hell, we were in Chile and everyone hates people from Santiago. The UK is 40x smaller than the US and basically has all the same regional stereotypes. Money, politics and rural vs urban is everywhere.

You lived in Italy and think nobody in the north thinks they are better than the south? Catalonia and the rest on Spain are friendly? Hell, we were in Chile and everyone hates people from Santiago. The UK is 40x smaller than the US and basically has all the same regional stereotypes. Money, politics and rural vs urban is everywhere.
Humans are competitive and tribal by nature. It applies to everything.

Most countries are much smaller, geographically, than America is.

I would bet that the same shit happens in places like Russia and China.

And we all know that the United Kingdom (current and former members) has this element to it.

I have lived coast to coast and north to south and this country is amazing.
Been to the Grand Canyon four times and it never gets old. We were there once when the kids were 5 and 8 and a tour bus full of Japanese got off and were immediately overwhelmed by the sight as everyone is. Seeing them made me smile because their reaction was just universal.
Went to Yellowstone and all the NP’s in Utah and we got a huge kick out of the swarms of Germans who must have rented every Mustang convertible west of the Mississippi River for their American Experience.
I don’t have issues with most folks.

Okay I lied. New Yorkers (NYC/Long Island) are a group that many old school Floridians have difficulty with. Because they’re positive they know everything. And we know nothing.
The struggle is real.
Overall we have a beautiful country and interesting people.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT