ADVERTISEMENT

Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America?

Yep.

From a report from the LAO in 2015:

Building Less Housing Than People Demand Drives High Housing Costs. California is a desirable place to live. Yet not enough housing exists in the state’s major coastal communities to accommodate all of the households that want to live there. In these areas, community resistance to housing, environmental policies, lack of fiscal incentives for local governments to approve housing, and limited land constrains new housing construction. A shortage of housing along California’s coast means households wishing to live there compete for limited housing. This competition bids up home prices and rents. Some people who find California’s coast unaffordable turn instead to California’s inland communities, causing prices there to rise as well. In addition to a shortage of housing, high land and construction costs also play some role in high housing prices.
Again -- this has been stated and everyone agrees that land costs play a role. Did you start reading late in the thread?

His responses indicate he knows how to read a couple sentences from an abstract, but has no idea how to actually read a research paper and find the details in the main body.

BAU
Ha ha - you guys crack me up. Complaining about someone else not reading a research paper as neither of you read the research paper. You can't make this up.

Here's an interesting article detailing a study on housing regulation stifling the US economy.

If you live in a coastal city like New York, Boston or San Francisco, you know that the cost of housing has skyrocketed. This housing crisis did not happen by chance: Increasingly restrictive land-use regulations in the last half-century contributed to it.

But what appears to be several local housing crises is actually a much more alarming national crisis: Land-use restrictions are a significant drag on economic growth in the United States.

The creeping web of these regulations has smothered wage and gross domestic product growth in American cities by a stunning 50 percent over the past 50 years. Without these regulations, our research shows, the United States economy today would be 9 percent bigger — which would mean, for the average American worker, an additional $6,775 in annual income...

...More housing in a region like Silicon Valley or Boston would raise the income and standard of living of American workers across the nation. The cost for the country of too-stringent housing regulations in high-wage, high-productivity cities in forgone gross domestic product is $1.4 trillion. That is the equivalent of losing New York State’s gross domestic product

Because of the prohibitive cost of housing caused by these regulations, innovative companies in Silicon Valley and Boston do not grow as much as they could, and new businesses do not get created. This means slower economic growth, fewer jobs and lower wages across the nation....

...There is a lot of debate in Washington about the costs of regulations for economic growth. Exclusionary land-use regulations in our most dynamic labor markets impose demonstrable high costs on our nation’s economic well-being.

Reforming these regulations through smart growth policies is a policy that should appeal to both Democrats and Republicans. The primary beneficiaries would be America’s middle-class workers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/opinion/housing-regulations-us-economy.html

We didn't ask you for "another generic article"; we asked you to defend the one you already posted.

Your move, Batman.

No you weren't - you were relying entirely on anecdotal evidence.

That's not 'anecdotal evidence'. It is a matter of FACT that there are earthquake codes in CA. Along with the other FACTS I'd posted. Now, go point out to where those are discussed in your "economics paper". Post quotes from it.

Ha ha - you guys crack me up. Complaining about someone else not reading a research paper as neither of you read the research paper. You can't make this up.

We're asking YOU to defend what you'd posted, rather than rely on others to do your homework for you.

"You can't make this shit up"

San Francisco's Dirty Little Secret

It's one of the most racially segregated cities in North America...

San Francisco is culturally diverse, but the diversity is strictly segregated. We call this historical character, and character can only be maintained by keeping outsiders out. Neighborhoods can’t exactly come out and impose cultural segregation, but they can enforce zoning laws. By blocking new buildings and preventing the renovation of old ones, residents ensure that the demographic makeup stays the same year after year.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-17/san-franciscos-dirty-little-secret

We're asking YOU to defend what you'd posted, rather than rely on others to do your homework for you.

"You can't make this shit up"
Again - they are ivy league economists. You're really getting desperate here wanting clowns on a message board to 'disprove' them. I know they are right - if you're so upset about their academic research - do the work and quit attacking me for believing in science. (and don't rely on a geologist's study - that won't get you very far)

No, you denied it when I posted it before.

Stop lying and changing the goalposts pal.
I did? When do you think I denied it? I don't believe it's (geography) is the primary issue in California as others are trying to claim. I agree that it's the overall regulatory burden as proven by the economists. Obviously many things factor.

That's not 'anecdotal evidence'. It is a matter of FACT that there are earthquake codes in CA. Along with the other FACTS I'd posted. Now, go point out to where those are discussed in your "economics paper". Post quotes from it.
Ha ha. I almost feel sorry for you (if not for your insufferable attitude!)

Again - they are ivy league economists.

Again....I do not care "who they are"; that's simply an 'argument from authority', without detailing and discussing the ACTUAL ARGUMENT.

We are asking for WHAT they argued and the details within their study:
  • their assumptions made
  • their methods
  • their adjustments based on the 'geology', 'earthquake hazards', 'mudslide risks', 'fire risks' etc

If that's NOT in the paper, then the conclusions are being VASTLY overstated by you.

Ha ha. I almost feel sorry for you (if not for your insufferable attitude!)

Yes....getting your ASS handed to you by someone means they 'have an insufferable attitude'.

When you cannot rationally discuss facts and points in a paper, it probably does make you feel 'pretty inferior' to others. That's not my problem. That's your problem.

Again....I do not care "who they are"; that's simply an 'argument from authority', without detailing and discussing the ACTUAL ARGUMENT.

We are asking for WHAT they argued and the details within their study:
  • their assumptions made
  • their methods
  • their adjustments based on the 'geology', 'earthquake hazards', 'mudslide risks', 'fire risks' etc

If that's NOT in the paper, then the conclusions are being VASTLY overstated by you.
Ha ha - again. You're so desperate. Maybe some other economists already did this. If their paper is not accepted within academia - I'm sure you can find the proof.

Yes....getting your ASS handed to you by someone means they 'have an insufferable attitude'.

When you cannot rationally discuss facts and points in a paper, it probably does make you feel 'pretty inferior' to others. That's not my problem. That's your problem.
Classic. You are quite the character Joe.

I did? When do you think I denied it? I don't believe it's (geography) is the primary issue in California as others are trying to claim. I agree that it's the overall regulatory burden as proven by the economists. Obviously many things factor.
You just denied it again in this post.

Are you really this obtuse?

Report: Racial, economic disparities have led to Bay Area’s ‘resegregation’

The Bay Area’s black population experienced a dramatic migration into outer suburban parts of the region over a 14-year span, the result of the rising cost of living in inner regions, according to a new report by the Oakland nonprofit Urban Habitat.

An estimated 22,000 black residents — about the population of Millbrae — left the Bay Area altogether during that time period, according to the report, which analyzed data in 11 counties between 2000 and 2014.

The report aims to highlight the socio-economic disparities that have led to a “resegregation” of the Bay Area, according to the group, as people of color migrate to more affordable pockets of the region. But in these new, distant places — such as Antioch and Stockton — residents also encounter difficulties finding quality jobs and schools, decent affordable housing, public transportation and adequate social services.

It’s the latest analysis depicting a decades-long trend plaguing low-income communities of color, in which thousands of residents are being pushed out of the Bay Area’s inner core into once-remote suburban areas where housing is cheaper, but resources are often few and far between.

“While many applaud the Bay Area’s impressive economic growth, primarily as measured by gross regional product, the inequality that has grown alongside it has become impossible to ignore,” the report said. “Decades of uneven and unequal development risk turning unprecedented prosperity into an engine for new forms of injustice for people of color, women, and immigrants. Poor planning and bad policy decisions have fueled high levels of racial and economic inequality, and pushed the region’s geographic boundaries ever further outwards.”.....

.....“When you look at who is impacted by this, disproportionately, it’s clearly about race,” he said. “Low-income communities of color are more likely to be displaced. To say that this isn’t about race is disingenuous and reveals a lack of familiarity with the data.”

The group suggested advancing policies that provide temporary and long-lasting housing stability as well as advancing regional agendas for equitable development.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12...parities-have-led-to-bay-areas-resegregation/

Last edited:
Can you imagine the outcry if San Francisco was a conservative city with conservative policies and there was this much poverty and segregation? The outcry would be enormous. But it's not - it's a far-left progressive utopia. And its policies are failing the poor and middle class - and the country as a whole.

Can you imagine the outcry if San Francisco was a conservative city with conservative policies and there was this much poverty and segregation? The outcry would be enormous. But it's not - it's a far-left progressive utopia. And its policies are failing the poor and middle class - and the country as a whole.

You keep changing the subject. Can you discuss the aspects of your original article by "Ivy league economists", or not?

Again, your move, Batman.

You just denied it again in this post.

Are you really this obtuse?
So you disagree with the economists' study that proves the regulatory impact is a larger cost driver than the geography of the area. That's fine - you are free to reject science.

Last edited:
California has the second most Fortune 500 companies along with a ton of start-ups that go on to make it big. Must be such a terrible business climate.

Nothing like Western Iowa where growth is so strong ...

If limited gov't is the answer, how come so many red states are dirt poor and impoverished? Serious question.

Geography

Reactions: Metuo Accipiter
Expand.

How does geography hurt Western Iowa?
giphy.gif

Reactions: unIowa
The same way it hurts eastern Iowa in comparison to states on our coasts.
But, by your argument, shouldn't a "more friendly" business environment ... well ... attract businesses?

Des Moines seems to be booming and faces the same geographic constraints as Western Iowa.

Expand.

How does geography hurt Western Iowa?

Des Moines seems to be booming and faces the same geographic constraints as Western Iowa.[/QUOTE]

Booming in comparison to what, are we talking about California any more?

Also, if OP is correct Iowa has a lower poverty rate than California and using your example, Des Moines, it has a much much lower poverty level than most large California cities. Iowa has also had a greater mix of political leadership at the state and local level vs California which has less diverse political leanings. So out of that can we assume that Iowa, now republican run, does a better job of providing for its citizens than California does. So does that mean that Republicans do a better job at governing and creating more opportunity for all than the left leaning states like California?

I mean, there is less wealth in Iowa by far yet Iowa's citizens fair better, on avg economically, than their CA counterparts.

Des Moines seems to be booming and faces the same geographic constraints as Western Iowa.

Also, if OP is correct Iowa has a lower poverty rate than California and using your example, Des Moines, it has a much much lower poverty level than most large California cities. Iowa has also had a greater mix of political leadership at the state and local level vs California which has less diverse political leanings. So out of that can we assume that Iowa, now republican run, does a better job of providing for its citizens than California does. So does that mean that Republicans do a better job at governing and creating more opportunity for all than the left leaning states like California?

I mean, there is less wealth in Iowa by far yet Iowa's citizens fair better, on avg economically, than their CA counterparts.

'Today' names Des Moines the wealthiest American city

If you're looking to relocate somewhere new, you might want to listen up. 'Today' featured America's wealthiest city, and it's one you might not expect.

Yup, not Manhattan, Miami, or even Silicon Valley. It's Des Moines, Iowa.

In the past, the capital of Iowa has been declared the best place for business and careers by Forbes. Kiplinger also called it the best city for families.

Back in 2011, U.S. News & World Report ranked Des Moines No. 1 among the richest metro areas. The capital of Iowa has the highest median income in the nation relative to the cost of living.

https://www.aol.com/article/2014/01/23/today-names-des-moines-the-wealthiest-american-city/20814543/

Reactions: unIowa
10 Cities With the Highest and Lowest Real Incomes

The 10 metropolitan areas with the highest adjusted median household incomes.

Des Moines, Iowa 90.6 $56,576 $62,446
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.Va. 138.6 85,168 61,449
Worcester, Mass. 103.7 63,360 61,099
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, Texas 89.3 54,146 60,634
Ogden-Clearfield, Utah* 100 60,208 60,208
Colorado Springs, Colo. 92.3 55,176 59,779
Dallas-Plano-Irving, Texas 92.1 54,539 59,217
Madison, Wisc.* 96.2 56,709 58,949
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, Ga. 94.2 55,464 58,879
Raleigh-Cary, N.C. 101.3 59,316 58,555

Below are the 10 metropolitan areas with the lowest adjusted median household incomes.

McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas 87.2 30,460 34,931
New York-White Plains-Wayne, N.Y.-N.J. 177.8 62,887 35,370
Modesto, Calif.* 136.6 48,716 35,663
Fresno, Calif. 120.1 45,661 38,019
El Paso, Texas 89.7 36,146 40,297
Honolulu, Hawaii 166.3 67,744 40,736
Springfield, Mass.* 119.8 49,177 41,049
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, Calif. 141.6 58,525 41,331
Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, Fla. 109.8 45,946 41,845
Scranton--Wilkes-Barre, Pa.* 98.1 41,823 42,633

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2011/06/01/10-cities-with-the-highest-and-lowest-real-incomes

Last edited:

Quality...

I'm specifically referring to your claim that a business friendly environment spurs growth and that is what is, in part, hurting California.

How come Western Iowa, which is apparently more business friendly than California, not experiencing much business growth?

you then said geography. Well, Des Moines has the same geography and yet seems to be killing it compared to Western Iowa?

Why does Western Iowa suck at growing economically if a "business friendly environment" is all you need?

I'm specifically referring to your claim that a business friendly environment spurs growth and that is what is, in part, hurting California.

How come Western Iowa, which is apparently more business friendly than California, not experiencing much business growth?

you then said geography. Well, Des Moines has the same geography and yet seems to be killing it compared to Western Iowa?

Why does Western Iowa suck at growing economically if a "business friendly environment" is all you need?

All good points. But please explain why in such a rich environment of business and opportunity, why is the poverty levels so high? Why are almost all Dem controlled states and cities have such high unemployment and poverty?

What does this even mean? Where in western Iowa? Some small town in the middle of nowhere? Des Moines is doing well. The Omaha area is doing very well. Sioux Falls, South Dakota is doing very well. So you have the three largest major population centers that triangle/form the perimeter to western Iowa are doing very well - i'm not sure what else you'd expect in a sparsely populated area.

Where/when did I say a business friendly environment is ALL you need?

Seems to me that you are just making positions up for others (that they never took) to try and strengthen your own position...never thought that would happen on HROT. :D

The point I have been making is that California is an incredibly wealthy state, it has tremendous geographic advantages that have helped spurt that growth on. It also has a big problem with poverty and wealth inequality and some of that can be directly attribute to the tax and business environment (along with other factors) that they have crafted.

Are you disagreeing with that?

As it pertains to Western Iowa and many areas across the great plains it appears that agriculture is where capital is best utilized in this area of the state, like it is in many areas of the country (some California regions as well).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT