ADVERTISEMENT

Why the f can't there a volume standard for TV shows

purple drank GIF

Most TVs or sound bars at this point have some sort of auto volume, auto normalizer, or some other type of audio balancing technology.

Movies that try to do quiet vocal audio so they can pipe in insanely loud jump scare out explosion audio annoy the shit out of me.

When it was at the height of its' popularity, Walking Dead used to drive me crazy. Two of the main characters - Rick and Daryl - mostly whispered all of their damn lines. I'd crank up the volume to hear them, then someone else would talk and the vibration would knock stuff over on the coffee table. I eventually started watching it using closed caption.
There is one other that is even worse. My wife loves watching the various "true crime" shows. But every one does the same thing - when a key person is being interviewed, they BLAST dramatic music in the "background", so loud that it is impossible to hear what the person is saying.

BTW,
GET OFF MY LAWN

Most TVs or sound bars at this point have some sort of auto volume, auto normalizer, or some other type of audio balancing technology.

Movies that try to do quiet vocal audio so they can pipe in insanely loud jump scare out explosion audio annoy the shit out of me.
I have a fairly new receiver and have same problem as OP. I’m not super good with technology, just ok. Do you think there would be something similar I could turn on to balance? It’s not a big deal to change volume on different streamers and whatnot, but if there was an auto setting that would be dope.

Reactions: praguehawk
We can perform surgery remotely but we can't ****ing standardize volume levels across TV shows? Watching Rick Steve's Europe I had to jack the volume up to hear it, then the next show comes on and blows the roof off. Csb
Where was Rick visiting?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
We can perform surgery remotely but we can't ****ing standardize volume levels across TV shows? Watching Rick Steve's Europe I had to jack the volume up to hear it, then the next show comes on and blows the roof off. Csb
I’ve been saying this for years. How about commercials should be the same volume as the show as well. I effing hate commercials…

• Love
Reactions: praguehawk
I have a fairly new receiver and have same problem as OP. I’m not super good with technology, just ok. Do you think there would be something similar I could turn on to balance? It’s not a big deal to change volume on different streamers and whatnot, but if there was an auto setting that would be dope.

It depends on the receiver brand but it might be called DRC or something like that. It basically just compresses the sound.

Reactions: SolarHawk
It's shows like 20/20 or 48 hours where the narrative is rather important but they chose to play the dramatic background music at a volume that drowns out the narrative. It might be an old people problem but hey, that's your GD audience...

Yep, this is the big government intervention we need! Been saying it for years, should be illegal.

this

OP must be a boomer

It's shows like 20/20 or 48 hours where the narrative is rather important but they chose to play the dramatic background music at a volume that drowns out the narrative. It might be an old people problem but hey, that's your GD audience...
I think that is an audio mix problem with a surround sound setup. There are some shows which are flawless, others where you really have to lower the bass or put more through the center channel.

Commercials are the worst for me.
I get the show set where I like it and then comes a commercial that blows the curtains of the bar.
I end up muting the commercial until the show come back on.

It depends on the receiver brand but it might be called DRC or something like that. It basically just compresses the sound.

Yep, Dynamic Range Compression. I believe that works only on a digital audio signal, but I could be wrong.

Effectively what it does is narrow the range of audio - it "squeezes it" to where you don't have the lowest and highest frequencies coming through. It shouldn't by definition "level" the volume from program to program. What it's good for is on low volume level situations to prevent say the thump of a subwoofer from being sent to it as well as clipping off the highs a bit.

The normal use for this setting is for example nighttime viewing and you don't want your sub to radiate sound through walls/floors...that kind of thing.

I've never heard of a AV receiver or a sound bar to be able to level out volume on its own. Now, digital music players and programs, those can do it - usually that feature will scan the file folder songs once activated and then apply a digitized volume setting for each song.

Maybe newer receivers/sound bars can do this on their own nowadays - dunno. My three Yamaha receivers are all from roughly 2008 and while quite versatile and powerful...they don't have this feature (though they do have DRC settings).

Reactions: Moral
Yep, Dynamic Range Compression. I believe that works only on a digital audio signal, but I could be wrong.

Effectively what it does is narrow the range of audio - it "squeezes it" to where you don't have the lowest and highest frequencies coming through. It shouldn't by definition "level" the volume from program to program. What it's good for is on low volume level situations to prevent say the thump of a subwoofer from being sent to it as well as clipping off the highs a bit.

The normal use for this setting is for example nighttime viewing and you don't want your sub to radiate sound through walls/floors...that kind of thing.

I've never heard of a AV receiver or a sound bar to be able to level out volume on its own. Now, digital music players and programs, those can do it - usually that feature will scan the file folder songs once activated and then apply a digitized volume setting for each song.

Maybe newer receivers/sound bars can do this on their own nowadays - dunno. My three Yamaha receivers are all from roughly 2008 and while quite versatile and powerful...they don't have this feature (though they do have DRC settings).

I think you are correct on soundbars. I do use the vocal mode on the Bose ones I have for essentially the same purpose but it's different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT