ADVERTISEMENT

Why The Past 10 Years of American Life Have Been Uniquely Stupid

The only cure to the degradation of American society is the end of the complete control and editorializing of information from the left through media and high tech communication platforms. Until that happens, we have no chance at saving this country from the path that the left is hoping to send us down.
The only cure is to rid ourselves of maga scum. I'm sorry, but none of you would be missed.

I think we are more in agreement than disagreement.

I do think the right wing is currently more destructive than the left in this country. This hasn’t always been the case, and may not be again someday, but right now it is.
Personally feel a lot of the violent folks are coming from areas that aren't used to being on the bottom of the social economic ladder. Or at least they always had someone to look down on. Minorities always had it worse. Things have become more equitable. More hallowing out of the rural economies.

Reactions: torbee
And though it likely has a slight left lean due to the educational backgrounds of its main writers, I find it is nearly devoid of political hackery and confirmation bias. The vast majority of articles are well-sourced, researched and thoughtfully balanced. Including this one.

I love many of the pieces from the Atlantic and the New Yorker, but I would disagree with your conclusion. I realize you’ll probably disagree with me too.

Sure about that?

While I think gonegolfing's post is a gross oversimplification, the article references, in an almost matter-of-fact way, what his post claimed.

FTA:

The problem is that the left controls the commanding heights of the culture: universities, news organizations, Hollywood, art museums, advertising, much of Silicon Valley, and the teachers’ unions and teaching colleges that shape K–12 education. And in many of those institutions, dissent has been stifled: When everyone was issued a dart gun in the early 2010s, many left-leaning institutions began shooting themselves in the brain. And unfortunately, those were the brains that inform, instruct, and entertain most of the country.

Yep, that is so ****ing good.

And c'mon HORT. I just skimmed the article and can see the contradictions between it and what many of y'all think it must say, perhaps because @torbee posted it.
Controlling the "commanding heights of the culture" is easy when the alternative is alternative facts and conspiracy theories.

I fail to see how dissent has been stifled in any of those institutions except for when alternative facts and conspiracy theories bully their way into the mainstream and endanger lives and American democracy.

So ****ing good, lol.

giphy.gif
lol, that dude played an amazing character in the movie. Would go so far as to say he made the movie.

Yeah Birx can take a hike. She’s about worthless….sat there nodding along as Cheeto in chief suggested drinking bleach to cure COVID.

She has been on this PR tour to restore her image and I’m not buying it.
Oh no doubt she is a joke and spineless but this is a key sample of why things are so bad when the criminal administration undermined Biden all the way up until they attacked our Capitol

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Controlling the "commanding heights of the culture" is easy when the alternative is alternative facts and conspiracy theories.

I fail to see how dissent has been stifled in any of those institutions except for when alternative facts and conspiracy theories bully their way into the mainstream and endanger lives and American democracy.

So ****ing good, lol.
So, sounds like you have more of a problem with that dumb m'fer torbee ;) , who posted the article to which you reference.

No, I have a problem with right wing bullshit. Torbee didn't write the article, Sport.
No, he didn't write the article.

He merely introduced it in his OP as one of the best articles of 2022.

You don't seem real up to speed in this thread, quite frankly.

And yes, the content moderation push was coming from the left, but it was reactionary because so much of the content was being created by right wing bots, foreign intelligent services seeking to cause discord and conspiracy theorists. Saying twitter was “leftists” because progressives wanted to clean out right wing sludge is disingenuous at best.

And Facebook has ALWAYS been a playground for right wing disinformation. I spent 4 years as a digital content manager for an ABC affiliate and can tell you the vast majority of comments and DMs and shares on articles were from right wingers.
I think information (and disinformation) for the most part, was unimpeded. I remember most of the bickering on twitter being over "woke" moderation in the banning of individuals over the way they talked about trans people or whatnot. Some of it struck me as overboard given all the crap that is allowed otherwise. There was always constant bickering about that crap. I thought that's part of what Musk got drawn into.

I guess there were also the Biden NY Post thing and twitter's label of misinformation when it came to Covid. (I think some of their efforts their fell flat)

At any rate, there was *some* stuff I thought on twitter that could complain about, but again, I don't think that was all of big tech or anything.

Reactions: torbee
Personally feel a lot of the violent folks are coming from areas that aren't used to being on the bottom of the social economic ladder. Or at least they always had someone to look down on. Minorities always had it worse. Things have become more equitable. More hallowing out of the rural economies.
This 100%.

For decades, there has been a cohort of loyal conservative/GOP partisans who believed that who they were (White) and where they lived (small towns and farms) would protect them from the forces of Change. Because cities are corrupt! Because minorities are lazy and addicted to drugs!

And instead of seeing these folks charitably (Fellow Americans who need help) or even pragmatically (canaries in the coal mine trying to warn us), they looked away and voted for leaders and policies that promised to preserve the status quo.

Except unregulated markets will always treat the middle class as an inefficiency to be quashed, so poverty came to rural white America. And with it the drugs: meth to get thru 2 minimum wage jobs, opioids to deal with the pain. And the criminality, and social decay, and violence. The same folks who sneer at Chicago and Los Angeles are afraid to go to that one notorious trailer park or the biker bar by the highway.

So yeah they’re pissed. They thought they would always be on top, but are realizing that the modern economy doesn’t have much use for them. So they push their race or religious or nativist identity and get radicalized online. It’s the same playbook used by the Taliban and ISIS, but good luck getting them to look in the mirror and see that.

This 100%.

For decades, there has been a cohort of loyal conservative/GOP partisans who believed that who they were (White) and where they lived (small towns and farms) would protect them from the forces of Change. Because cities are corrupt! Because minorities are lazy and addicted to drugs!

And instead of seeing these folks charitably (Fellow Americans who need help) or even pragmatically (canaries in the coal mine trying to warn us), they looked away and voted for leaders and policies that promised to preserve the status quo.

Except unregulated markets will always treat the middle class as an inefficiency to be quashed, so poverty came to rural white America. And with it the drugs: meth to get thru 2 minimum wage jobs, opioids to deal with the pain. And the criminality, and social decay, and violence. The same folks who sneer at Chicago and Los Angeles are afraid to go to that one notorious trailer park or the biker bar by the highway.

So yeah they’re pissed. They thought they would always be on top, but are realizing that the modern economy doesn’t have much use for them. So they push their race or religious or nativist identity and get radicalized online. It’s the same playbook used by the Taliban and ISIS, but good luck getting them to look in the mirror and see that.
Lot's of the bootstrap guys I remember in highschool. Are now on disability for rather minor things. So the sneering at minorities on the public teat has come full circle.

Last edited:
Getting to work early on 2023 WPOTY NC? 🙄

Fuggin loser.
OP posts article claiming that the social media-induced behavior tearing the country apart has been identified, offering us all an opportunity for self-inflection.

Shortly thereafter participates in said negative behavior.

Fails to see the irony. :rolleyes:

Reactions: hwk23 and goldmom
OP posts article claiming that the social media-induced behavior tearing the country apart has been identified, offering us all an opportunity for self-inflection.

Shortly thereafter participates in said negative behavior.

Fails to see the irony. :rolleyes:
Calling out trolls is part of the solution, fuggin loser.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The issue with Gonegolfing is that he laid the ENTIRE blame on the imaginary notion that there is some monolithic “left” that controls all media and culture. That is bullshit and the article details how that’s bullshit. Yes, the fact there is a sliver of the radical left that has far too much of an outsized voice that often steamrolls moderates IS also a problem, but one of a myriad and also more a reflection of the issues with social media allowing a megaphone and bludgeon for the most voiceferous and radical - which the article points out is a problem on the left AND right.

So you stipulate there’s a “sliver” on the left with “too much power”...
Yet anyone who disagrees with those in the “sliver” in any shape or form is immediately an idiot far right ginormous group. Heaven forbid your preachy self righteous azz acknowledges that it’s also a “sliver” of people rather than a majority of us who form the middle.

• Haha
Reactions: Lindemann
Speaking of fuggin losers...
You think Mark Zuckerberg is left wing, you're a sucker. You think any CEO or any of the other "effective altruists" of any gigantic tech company is left wing and you can point to something other than some whiney bullshit about wokeness, I'll listen.

You think Mark Zuckerberg is left wing, you're a sucker. You think any CEO or any of the other "effective altruists" of any gigantic tech company is left wing and you can point to something other than some whiney bullshit about wokeness, I'll listen.
Mark Zuckerberg is a backstabbing little pussy who blows with the wind. When $$$$ is involved he, along with 98% of humanity will do what they need to to keep that cash. I don’t know what gave you the idea that I’m a naive whiner but that’s almost funny.

Great article. I would add one big catalyst to the fire that would consume and divide also was electing a black man president in 2008.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT