ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee: Assessing the Clark Effect

torbee

HR King
Gold Member

images
Tuesdays with Torbee​

by:Tory Brecht

Being a bit of a literary snob as an ex-English major and son of a librarian, I often spend my mid-Sunday mornings perusing The New Yorker’s weekly roundup of must-read stories over a cup of coffee.

This past Sunday – tucked between articles entitled “The Legacy of Beatrix Potter” and “The Evolution of Alexy Navalny’s Nationalism” – I was mildly astonished to see the headline “The Swagger of Caitlin Clark.”

Rarely do my twin passions of elitist journalism and meatball college sports fanaticism collide. For some reason, seeing Ms. Clark’s exploits detailed in the staid, highbrow magazine drove home her utter ubiquity to me even more than seeing her Tweeted at by former President Obama or being a lead story on ABC Nightly News after her record-breaking game against Michigan.

Whether being lauded by the sleeveless and snarky Pat McAfee on his every-bro podcast or profiled in the Gray Lady New York Times herself, the shooting phenom from Des Moines is inescapable, regardless of which strata of society you inhabit.

It is probably fair to ask finally whether Clark is the most incandescent national star to call Iowa City home since Nile Kinnick.

As an Iowa fan, the best thing about the rise of Cailtin is proof of concept that superstars don’t need to leave the Hawkeye state to ascend the highest planes of greatness. When high school star Harrison Barnes eschewed both Iowa and Iowa State for blueblood North Carolina, we understood. Likewise for Raef LaFrentz to Kansas before that. And (prior to his recent return) Kadyn Proctor to Alabama for football made sense too.

When the next potential superstar emerges from the hinterlands, however, they will know their star can shine brightly even if they remain between the Missouri and Mississippi rivers. I sincerely hope the athletic department is working on a strategy to leverage the “Caitlin Clark Effect” to boost recruiting across the board in all sports.

Clark, of course, has a huge decision looming at the end of this college basketball season. Thanks to the pandemic-shortened 2020 season she has the option of returning for a fifth year, one in which she would likely put all meaningful scoring and assist records forever out of range for mere mortals.

Much has been made of the relatively paltry WNBA salaries (which average just over $100,000 per year) compared to Clark’s NIL deals (said to be in the “high” six figures.) Looking from the outside, however, I’ve never sensed Clark’s main motivation is financial. Striving for team goals, personal greatness and growing the women’s game all seem to drive her as much or more than money.

Previously, I felt if Iowa fell short of an NCAA championship this season (which may be likely given the unprecedented strength of this year’s South Carolina team) Clark would seriously consider returning for one last championship drive.

However, the Indiana Fever holding the number one pick in the WNBA draft has me reconsidering. For one thing, Indiana is a basketball-crazy state in the heart of Big 10 country, where Clark is a bona fide superstar and massive box office draw. The Fever’s ownership group also counts the NBA Pacer’s among its portfolio – the team where Clark’s current boyfriend is employed as an analyst. The Fever also drafted Aliyah Boston last season, who is an admirer and with Clark would make a highly visible, highly talented dynamic duo.

It is hard to imagine Clark’s fame and draw growing larger in 2025 than it is in 2024. Arguably, with most meaningful college records already in her possession, interest in her is likely to wane somewhat in a fifth year.

I also understand the argument that the women’s college game is higher profile currently than the WNBA. Crowds are larger, fans are more passionate. That might actually be another reason for Clark to forego another year of eligibility, though. As noted, her fame is likely at or nearing its peak right now. Perhaps she believes taking her talents to the WNBA can raise its profile and drive fan interest similar to the college Clark effect. If this NCAA tournament creates storylines anything like last year’s Clark-Haily Van Lith-Angel Reese drama, it could set up for some fun ongoing WNBA rivalries. Could Clark versus Reese do on a smaller scale what Larry Bird versus Magic Johnson did for the NBA? It would be fun to find out.

Regardless of her decision, fans have another couple months to bask in the generational greatness of the best women’s basketball player ever, playing here in Iowa. Embrace it. Enjoy it. It will be over before we know it.

Interesting thought on Kinnick- he was a national star, was he as transcendent as CC22 is now? I just can't wrap my head around anyone being so popular compared to what CC22 is now. Different times, but interesting none the less.

When CC22 goes to the WNBA, she will "be like Mike" in that I predict people will come out in droves to see her. Magic vs Bird got us interested. Mike vs the world sucked everyone else in as the GOAT.

Torbee, thanks for your well-written article on the now living
legend Caitlin Clark from Iowa. She will have the opportunity
to elevate the WNBA to new heights with her presence. She
has a skill set for 3 pointers that brings excitement to the fans.
I wish her the best for her basketball future.

images
Tuesdays with Torbee​

by:Tory Brecht

Being a bit of a literary snob as an ex-English major and son of a librarian, I often spend my mid-Sunday mornings perusing The New Yorker’s weekly roundup of must-read stories over a cup of coffee.

This past Sunday – tucked between articles entitled “The Legacy of Beatrix Potter” and “The Evolution of Alexy Navalny’s Nationalism” – I was mildly astonished to see the headline “The Swagger of Caitlin Clark.”

Rarely do my twin passions of elitist journalism and meatball college sports fanaticism collide. For some reason, seeing Ms. Clark’s exploits detailed in the staid, highbrow magazine drove home her utter ubiquity to me even more than seeing her Tweeted at by former President Obama or being a lead story on ABC Nightly News after her record-breaking game against Michigan.

Whether being lauded by the sleeveless and snarky Pat McAfee on his every-bro podcast or profiled in the Gray Lady New York Times herself, the shooting phenom from Des Moines is inescapable, regardless of which strata of society you inhabit.

It is probably fair to ask finally whether Clark is the most incandescent national star to call Iowa City home since Nile Kinnick.

As an Iowa fan, the best thing about the rise of Cailtin is proof of concept that superstars don’t need to leave the Hawkeye state to ascend the highest planes of greatness. When high school star Harrison Barnes eschewed both Iowa and Iowa State for blueblood North Carolina, we understood. Likewise for Raef LaFrentz to Kansas before that. And (prior to his recent return) Kadyn Proctor to Alabama for football made sense too.

When the next potential superstar emerges from the hinterlands, however, they will know their star can shine brightly even if they remain between the Missouri and Mississippi rivers. I sincerely hope the athletic department is working on a strategy to leverage the “Caitlin Clark Effect” to boost recruiting across the board in all sports.

Clark, of course, has a huge decision looming at the end of this college basketball season. Thanks to the pandemic-shortened 2020 season she has the option of returning for a fifth year, one in which she would likely put all meaningful scoring and assist records forever out of range for mere mortals.

Much has been made of the relatively paltry WNBA salaries (which average just over $100,000 per year) compared to Clark’s NIL deals (said to be in the “high” six figures.) Looking from the outside, however, I’ve never sensed Clark’s main motivation is financial. Striving for team goals, personal greatness and growing the women’s game all seem to drive her as much or more than money.

Previously, I felt if Iowa fell short of an NCAA championship this season (which may be likely given the unprecedented strength of this year’s South Carolina team) Clark would seriously consider returning for one last championship drive.

However, the Indiana Fever holding the number one pick in the WNBA draft has me reconsidering. For one thing, Indiana is a basketball-crazy state in the heart of Big 10 country, where Clark is a bona fide superstar and massive box office draw. The Fever’s ownership group also counts the NBA Pacer’s among its portfolio – the team where Clark’s current boyfriend is employed as an analyst. The Fever also drafted Aliyah Boston last season, who is an admirer and with Clark would make a highly visible, highly talented dynamic duo.

It is hard to imagine Clark’s fame and draw growing larger in 2025 than it is in 2024. Arguably, with most meaningful college records already in her possession, interest in her is likely to wane somewhat in a fifth year.

I also understand the argument that the women’s college game is higher profile currently than the WNBA. Crowds are larger, fans are more passionate. That might actually be another reason for Clark to forego another year of eligibility, though. As noted, her fame is likely at or nearing its peak right now. Perhaps she believes taking her talents to the WNBA can raise its profile and drive fan interest similar to the college Clark effect. If this NCAA tournament creates storylines anything like last year’s Clark-Haily Van Lith-Angel Reese drama, it could set up for some fun ongoing WNBA rivalries. Could Clark versus Reese do on a smaller scale what Larry Bird versus Magic Johnson did for the NBA? It would be fun to find out.

Regardless of her decision, fans have another couple months to bask in the generational greatness of the best women’s basketball player ever, playing here in Iowa. Embrace it. Enjoy it. It will be over before we know it.
Very good article!!! In your research and reading, have you drawn a sense of the extent of "clarkonomics" in terms of financial impact? I was thinking about the increase in ratings, or having a game moved from Peacock to a national channel, and how that might impact how much advertisers will pay for commercial spots. Or is she impacting what networks or streaming services will pay the Big Ten overall? Relatedly, are other women's teams getting a boost because of attention brought by Clark? And of course there is the obvious increase in ticket sales. But what does that mean in terms of increased revenues from concessions, parking, going out to eat at college town eateries before/after the game. Then there is the possibility of increased donations to the athletic department, or the Iowa Swarm. Or perhaps is her spotlight increasing college applications to Iowa? Are stories about her getting more clicks than other stories writers put out? Is Nike selling more sneakers or "You break it, you own it" shirts, or is Gatorade selling more Gatorade? Just a lot to think about, and I wonder how much she has raised the financial tide, from a global perspective.*

* Edited to add StubHub and other players in the secondary market for tickets.

Last edited:
I believe she will be able to reach those same financial levels in the WNBA. Here in Indiana, I've spoken with several travel girls basketball dads who have all told me they plan on purchasing Fever season tickets if Clark comes. I believe the Fever will set attendance records in year 1 with Clark.

I believe she will be able to reach those same financial levels in the WNBA. Here in Indiana, I've spoken with several travel girls basketball dads who have all told me they plan on purchasing Fever season tickets if Clark comes. I believe the Fever will set attendance records in year 1 with Clark.

Coming into the season, I thought she would almost certainly come back for a 5th year. But she'll be so much more valuable to a Midwestern team (see Indiana, Chicago, or Minnesota) than she would be with one of the other nine franchises. Unfortunately, I just don't see her rolling the dice and hoping one of those three teams get the top pick next year.

Coming into the season, I thought she would almost certainly come back for a 5th year. But she'll be so much more valuable to a Midwestern team (see Indiana, Chicago, or Minnesota) than she would be with one of the other nine franchises. Unfortunately, I just don't see her rolling the dice and hoping one of those three teams get the top pick next year.
Totally agree that her value is at a maximum at one of those Midwest 3 franchises. Had the Seattle Storm for example obtained the #1 draft pick, I think it's a totally different decision for Clark.

Reactions: torbee
Interesting thought on Kinnick- he was a national star, was he as transcendent as CC22 is now? I just can't wrap my head around anyone being so popular compared to what CC22 is now. Different times, but interesting none the less.

When CC22 goes to the WNBA, she will "be like Mike" in that I predict people will come out in droves to see her. Magic vs Bird got us interested. Mike vs the world sucked everyone else in as the GOAT.
It would have just been impossible for him to be. Caitlin's on State Farm commercials. I don't know how much national broadcast coverage there was of college athletics in the 30s and 40s for what was always a regional sport. Pretty great that both are Hawkeyes. Would love to see what the Clark legend is like 80 years after her time here. Kinnick's legend with the Heisman speech and his tragic passing gives me the feels every time they play "I thank God I wad warring on the gridirons of the Midwest..." in um Kinnick Stadium.

Or perhaps is her spotlight increasing college applications to Iowa?
I would be interested in more insight in this dynamic in general ... if anyone has any.

For example, how has the long Lou Sabin run impacted Alabama out-of-state applications? It used to be that no one ever confessed to going to that school (or they simply never showed up in places where I lived!) These days, I meet all kinds of people from California with kids who are enrolled at Alabama.

I also remember visiting New York one year in the early 1990's and taking note of the fact everyone of a certain age was wearing a UNLV baseball hat.
My underlying ax to grind is that success in college sports abets success in building the overall academic standing of your/any university. I have always had the misfortune of attending schools with administrations that eschew heavy support for college sports. I have attributed that to simple brainiac snobbery as opposed to there being an actual drain on the academics of any given university.

One of those schools has been gradually building a reputation in sports that is slightly out of the box and that could seemingly coexist with the folks who focus on academic achievement awards.

This school (Iowa) is run by an old-school footballer who believes in building men as much as he believes in building player skills. He treats his players as aspirants to a life of football and always seems to know who of his former players is active on any given weekend. He counts his successes based around putting as many players into the pro's as possible. Their success is his success ... and ours.

Similar dynamics exist in the mens' and women's basketball program along with wrestling and baseball.

In the process, this school ends up with influence in every state in the union and every metro area. Iowa players and coaches are spread across the land, and you see their impact on our recruiting (and coaching) constantly.

It all starts with players being successful while they are here and the Caitlin Clark story blends right in ... (Bigly, actually) and I am wondering if any evidence is showing up through an increase in college applications.

Ok ... so I got off into the weeds a bit, my point is that if you were thinking about applying to Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Nebraska, or Iowa, where would you go?

For the first time in many decades, we have a real story to tell. Caitlin is as much a product of this as she is a contributor. I hope applicants are noticing the big picture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT