ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Why Wait for the NCAA? Just Bring Noah Shannon Back Now

Adam Jacobi

HR MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
Kirk's irritation about the latest Noah Shannon update during last night's Hawk Talk appearance was entirely warranted, and the NCAA has jerked Shannon around more than enough. Time for someone to do right by Iowa's sixth-year senior captain for once.

Kirk's irritation about the latest Noah Shannon update during last night's Hawk Talk appearance was entirely warranted, and the NCAA has jerked Shannon around more than enough. Time for someone to do right by Iowa's sixth-year senior captain for once.

I agree the NCAA is a trash and feckless shit show. And I have no doubt Noah is receiving the Drew Ott treatment because he doesn’t play for a school like Alabama.

But giving the NCAA the middle finger and playing Shannon doesn’t seem like a good move. Then again, Iowa fans are tired of 8-4 seasons with Outback Bowl invites, so maybe who cares if half the games end up not counting.

You know what? I think you’re right, Adam. **** the NCAA. Play Shannon.

i don't see how we can just put him on the field without official clearance. if we can do that, maybe we can also request wirfs for a cameo appearance against wisconsin. :)
I mean, the NCAA doesn't have armed guards at the locker room door, checking the players' IDs before they walk out. What keeps teams from just putting anybody on the field is, of course, the threat of enforcement (and practice, knowing the playbook, etc).

The NCAA routinely vacates wins due to retroactively declaring players ineligible; if it's going to reassess Shannon's eligibility retroactively for an infraction and penalty it now recommends no punishment for, then just get him back in pads and ready for gameplay ASAP and tell the NCAA Shannon doesn't have the luxury of waiting for another month of bureaucracy. Make those committees look Ferentz and Shannon in the eye and tell them how four more weeks of deliberation protects Shannon's "student-athlete well-being."

I mean, the NCAA doesn't have armed guards at the locker room door, checking the players' IDs before they walk out. What keeps teams from just putting anybody on the field is, of course, the threat of enforcement (and practice, knowing the playbook, etc).

The NCAA routinely vacates wins due to retroactively declaring players ineligible; if it's going to reassess Shannon's eligibility retroactively for an infraction and penalty it now recommends no punishment for, then just get him back in pads and ready for gameplay ASAP and tell the NCAA Shannon doesn't have the luxury of waiting for another month of bureaucracy. Make those committees look Ferentz and Shannon in the eye and tell them how four more weeks of deliberation protects Shannon's "student-athlete well-being."
Absolutely.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

I absolutely agree with this stance in Noah's case. I think it's time to realize with Noah's situation and the NCAA that it's easier to beg for forgiveness after the fact then to ask for permission now. Just my opinion though.

The NCAA is an impotent sack of shit. F ‘em!!!

I think the play should be....if it isn't already happening; Iowa AD to Big Ten Commish...to NCAA President. WTF? It is to the point where the two major conferences really don't need the NCAA and maybe the Big Ten commissioner can help Shannon.

Also, the article mentioned the Wall Street Journal and commented that the whole gambling scandal doesn't pass the "smell test". I must have missed something, are there suggestions that Iowa and Iowa State athletes were unfairly targeted?

I agree the NCAA is a trash and feckless shit show. And I have no doubt Noah is receiving the Drew Ott treatment because he doesn’t play for a school like Alabama.

But giving the NCAA the middle finger and playing Shannon doesn’t seem like a good move. Then again, Iowa fans are tired of 8-4 seasons with Outback Bowl invites, so maybe who cares if half the games end up not counting.

I thought about this and @@@@ the ncaa. Play him. If they take the games away I'd be part of a million Hawkeye fan class action to sue them into the ground.

Now in the lineup, #66 Haon Nonnahs!
Major League Baseball Go Braves GIF by MLB

This is what I said from the get go. The ncaa doesn’t do anything with college football anymore. And as I’ve also stated before, once this becomes a bigger issue at other schools as well, no one will be serving a year long suspension.
Like others have mentioned, are they going to make iowa forfeit some games already played down the road? Big freaking whoop. I’d love to witness iowa win a championship some year and if it gets forfeited years down the road, I’d still have that memory of winning a championship.

And when the opposing coach realizes that non-eligible player has played in the game and goes to the head referee what happens then? I would assume he would be disqualified (similar to getting called for targeting) and sent to the locker room.

So you're proposing forfeiting a game against a Big10 West opponent (with division tie breaker / championship implications) for Shannon play a few downs just to show up the NCAA?

I guess that's one way to take away attention from the Great Brain and the 25 ppg.

regardless of how incompetent we think the NCAA is... we gotta abide by what they say.
having said that... I feel like the NCAA is screwing Noah Shannon out of a game by not making a decision today.. there is no good reason for them to be stalling at this point.

Goetz said it will take 2-4 weeks.... in reality... it should take 2-4 minutes to make this decision.

Keeping an employee suspended while the rule they were suspended under gets reviewed would never fly anywhere but the NCAA. The person would be back at work as long as the review was ongoing.
There’s an old saying that employers get the unions they deserve. There’s never been an employer more serving of a union than the collective universities that make up the NCAA.

I mean.... no one ever accused the NCAA of being competent. So what do you expect.

More fumbling around in the future. I'm guessing they MIGHT decide something by November 30th. I'm sure this is their top priority :rolleyes:.

F the NCAA

Reactions: ClarindaA's
regardless of how incompetent we think the NCAA is... we gotta abide by what they say.
having said that... I feel like the NCAA is screwing Noah Shannon out of a game by not making a decision today.. there is no good reason for them to be stalling at this point.

Goetz said it will take 2-4 weeks.... in reality... it should take 2-4 minutes to make this decision.
EXACTLY. The NCAA presumably realizes they totally screwed the pooch. There’s no reason those dolts can’t have an emergency conference call and decide on the revision to their inane penalties. This idea that Noah Shannon has to sit and wait for weeks to play so these bureaucrats can get around to making a long-overdue decision is beyond ludicrous.

Reactions: F5n5
EXACTLY. The NCAA presumably realizes they totally screwed the pooch. There’s no reason those dolts can’t have an emergency conference call and decide on the revision to their inane penalties. This idea that Noah Shannon has to sit and wait for weeks to play so these bureaucrats can get around to making a long-overdue decision is beyond ludicrous.
I don't think the NCAA really cares about the athlete.
They definitely don't care about non blue blood schools.

It would get people to stop talking about the 25 points per game thing for a little while at least.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok

Do it...fvck emmm

Reactions: ClarindaA's

I don’t think the NCAA realized anything. I think the more likely scenario is the NCAA has betting information from some blue bloods and is getting out in front of it with the new rules, so those kids won’t get suspended

I don’t think the NCAA realized anything. I think the more likely scenario is the NCAA has betting information from some blue bloods and is getting out in front of it with the new rules, so those kids won’t get suspended
I think the even likelier scenario is that the NCAA has no information on blue bloods or any other teams gambling, because states other than Iowa appear to have deduced that no crimes were committed or they simply aren't worth investigating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT